Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 06:12 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Sounds like he’s not liking having to communicate on the forum using only his cell.

You’re not alone, Brian. We were told the new Passport we ordered was now coming with the combo unit. Nope, it came with a standard microwave. And it’s now having issues with the number display, some segments of the digits have failed. Hang in there, you’ll get things worked out.
A lot of people on here have reported that their told them that they have "walk-able roofs" when a call to Keystone reported opposite. The dealer's information is only as good as the information that they are given from the manufacturer until they find out otherwise, or the salesman is ill informed and just trying to sell you a camper. In either scenario it's the customer that's left dazed and confused.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #22
Bill-2020

Have you seen the available cooking height inside the gas oven?! The ovens are useless except to bake something short, like a TV dinner or half a tater! I’d rather not have the oven and get more storage. Just my two pennies on that subject, which is now nearly off topic. Oops!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

This is "just an observation" that I've come to realize is much more prevalent today than it was, even 10 years ago....

Some people refer to their trailer as a "camper" while some refer to it as "an RV" and some refer to it as "our Cougar, or Hideout or the Montana"...

The point I'm making is people who refer to it as a "camper" and then expect it to have all the amenities of their house, capable of using "everything while boondocking just like at home" are likely to be unhappy with most entry level trailers and even with some "luxury, full time units"...

Some examples: As manufacturers "blurred the lines between "camping and RVing", they claimed that their "camper" worked to provide all the comforts of home.... Then along came "smaller trucks and cars, so they "reduced the weight of trailers. Then along came a recession, so they reduced the cost of trailers, then along came increased demand for more "bling" so they added a solar plug on the side, then along came confusion on how to operate the TV antenna booster, so along came KEYTV, then along came the desire to watch TV even in the forest, far away from any city, so along came the satellite TV connection... The list goes on and on....

IMHO, people who expect to have all the "perks" of home when in a national park "boondocking site" are not going to be able to function in a "small, entry level, basic trailer" without packing along extra batteries, extra generators, investing in "high dollar solar systems" and even then, "it's hot inside our trailer because we only have one air conditioner"... Then comes the "ultra light durability issues, laminated floors, bent frames, uncomfortable mattresses, bad tires loaded at their maximum capacity, poor insulation, single pane windows, cheap microwaves, and, most important (at least to me) is poorly informed/inexperienced purchasers of these products.....

When you add it all up, most "unhappy campers" aren't really "campers" they are "people expecting a small home with all of the "home comforts" that function like the house we just left....

RV'ing is a lifestyle of multiple compromises, but few salesmen will even approach that subject. They focus on "you can tow anything on the lot" and "everything works in the campground, just like in your house at home".... Few of those claims are actually true when travelling with an "RV" whether it's considered a "camper" or a "mobile house with everything we have at home"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

John, I witnessed the same progression in the late 1980's thru the 1990's with the boating industry. First it was the early "baby boomers" buying boats to live on. The 10 meter plus boats were fly off the lots until a few months of "living" in a "walk-in closet" sized space lead to frustration and often divorce.

Then the DINKs (Dual Income No Kids crowd) were buying large power boats with dot com money as quick as they were being built. Many took the boats out once, got scared of handling it and realized they couldn't leave site of shore due to lack of water and waste storage and the boats remained tied to the dock. We would leave our slip with many of these folks partying on their boats and return 2 days later and the party continued in the same spot.

Gas crunch, boats got lighter and more vulnerable to damage and people complained. And so it goes. These industries rely on "disposable" income and often a repeat customer is not their primary customer so they are not considered as heavily as "what can we do to attract" the new customer. So there it is, born are the "1/2 ton tow-able", "arctic or polar pkg", etc. etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Did you look into the unit on the PDI to affirm a convection unit? Seems you are just concerned/worried/disappointed that you thought you would have a convection? Folks are trying to help but to look for help and then say "this is getting old"....? Hoping you get the answers you need but the unit itself will tell you if it's convection or not right on the panel.

OP, my bad on the highlighted statement. It did not click that using the cell was getting tiresome and I completely understand that. I wouldn't even attempt it because my patience trying to use that little device with my fat fingers would run out before I began. Sorry I misinterpreted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #26
Bill-2020

We originally bought our first (tiny) camper as an alternative to a hotel room whenever we were (are) evacuated due to a threatening hurricane. This is a “when” not an “if” situation. We’ve since upgraded to a larger one. In the event the house was damaged or a total loss, we still had something to live in until other arrangements came be made or the the house was repaired or we relocated elsewhere. I’ve evacuated more times than I care to count. FEMA is not an option. We don’t RV and we don’t boondock. If I wanted to boondock I wouldn’t have bought what we’ve owned over the years. As for the amenities of home, it was never expected to be as comfortable in the camper, not even close. We use the camper as a camper in RV parks or state parks with full hookups for the times we want to “get away” and we’re not having to avoid the wrath of Mother Nature. One of grandkids and DW will use the camper to sleep in for a night here and there during cool weather in the backyard. To her, the grandkid, they are camping out and having a blast even if the house is only 10 yards away. The camper is an investment of sorts. It’s not a lifestyle to us.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote