Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2020, 05:29 AM   #21
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I had some tire wear like you and took mine to a alignment shop and they fixed my axles. I wouldn't do anything until you get this dome. Then I would go and buy a new set of tires and go on another trip. I know this is $$$ but it's the only way to make sure the problem is fixed. The shop should give you a warranty for the work. They had to do mine twice and it's all good now. You can have them check for warn parts like bearings and such. I have never seen all 4 wheel bearing fail at the same time but hey its America and anything can happen LOL
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
MtnGoat

A quick summary of todays adventures.

Shop was in Stockton CA Hewitt Alinement Service. A nice clean organized shop with some experienced operators. Well adapt in setting RV axles and other types of equipment. The young man working my rig moved with experience and knew what he was doing. These axles were way off of alignment. Both axles were toed out. the worst being the front at 5/32, the rear 1/16. All four corners were camber 1+ deg neg with the worst being LR @ 1-3/4 deg.

He set the front axle first with 3/8 positive camber and 1/16 toe in. The rears 3/8 pos camber and 1/32 toe in.

All were adjusted using this heavy beam and a bottle jack. To set camber the jack was positioned at 6 o'clock to the axle. Toe was with the bottle jack at 3 or 9 o'clock. And a toe/camber movement with the jack at 7/8 or 4-5 o'clock. Simple enough. the trick was making as few adjustments as necessary and not hitting the same spot on the axle twice.

Took the operator about and hour and a half. to finish at $150 an axle.

Seems to track better on the road but only time and tire wear will tell the tale.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #23
firestation12

here's a wheel that meets your specification being sold on Amazon. NOTE: trailer rims should have a zero offset.
2-Pack Aluminum Trailer Rims Wheels 5 Lug 15 in. Avalanche V-Spoke/Black
by A-Z Supply Company
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J2PGS4..._v1KBEbY2P5R41
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #24
Harlos

I had the same problem.
Take a straight edge and lay it across the tires on one side, even with the hubs. You most likely will find that the straight edge is touch only the front of each tire and not the front and back.
If that is the case, the tires are toed out! And that means axle change.
I don’t know the age of your unit, but mine is a 2006 36.4Q Everest. It came that way from the factor and no one said that there was an axle problem and if u didn’t pull a lot you didn’t see the wear.
I changed the axles and while I had it all torn down, I replaced the breaks with disk breaks.
Good look with finding you tire problem.
Harlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #25
bbells

This is a sign you may need a wheel alignment. Other signs: Balding on one tire only, little jerks while driving, or, if you ever jacked up the trailer using the axles. I brought mine into a truck center my RV dealer recommended. Best $256 I ever spent. Pulls better and tires are lasting longer.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #26
Tireman9

Alignment

Your tires don't care what the axle looks like. You need to measure Camber and toe.
Camber is easy to do yourself with a $10 gauge.

Toe is a bit more work but I have done it with string, a couple jack stands and tape measure. Not as accurate as when done with a laser but IMO it would be good enough for an RV trailer.

Simply Google "Measure wheel camber" to find tools, instructions and even videos.

or "Measure wheel toe at home"

Google is our friend.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #27
alnbobby

I had a similar issue on a 7 month road trip 6 years ago. My inside tire wear occurred only on the rear axle of my dual axle trailer. Anyway, I replaced the tires while on the road, and had my trailer serviced when I returned home. They realigned the axle and I've not experienced this problem since that realignment service.
alnbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #28
EMTPRescue

Side loading on tandem axle trailers is a huge problem particularly when backing up and getting close to a jackknife type situation. Take a look at how the back tires look like they are being ripped sideways off the rim. Do the math. The foot print of one tire may be six square inches. Take an 8000lb trailer and all that weight is being displaced on 24 square inches of rubber. 8000/24=333.33 pounds per square inch of load carrying in a straight line. Now back it up, jack knife it and push the tires on one of the axles almost completely at 90 degrees side ways with the downward force still being 333.33 pounds per square in and then add the additional lateral forces from the torque of pushing the tire side ways. Easy to see how the axles get bent. Most often axles get bent from this type of action or even worse, the shackles and or their brackets crack and then snap under the load. If your tires are worn in the same place X all 4 tires, I would take the odds to Vegas and come out a winner if I bet on the side loading as the cause. When or if you change your tires upgrade the thickness of your shackles at the same time. The piece of mind is worth additional expense cuz none of this stuff breaks when it is convenient for it to do so.
EMTPRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #29
GHen

My daughter had the same problem, rear axel was bent due to sharp turns. It was replaced under warranty but an alignment would have fixed it.

If there is a tight turn on your own property you could throw some sand down to allow the tires to slip a bit. Or just watch them and pull forward occasionally to relieve the pressure.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

The Carlisle tires have had very favorable reviews here the last few years.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

I have Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires on my Cougar. They are a "good tire for my purposes" and I'm satisfied with the performance and am on my third set. As for "added protection against the heat with built-in weathering and ozone protection" DON'T be lulled into believing that the tire can protect itself from the sun's damaging UV rays. It's especially critical to cover/shield the tires in the south/southwest, but also important no matter where you store your RV.

As for "tread wear" I don't know of very many RV'ers who actually wear out the tread before the tires reach the "age out limit".. Carlisle recommends a 5-6 year service life before replacement, most people have less than 15,000 miles in that time frame, so tread wear (unless there's a trailer problem) is probably of no concern.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #32
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
I am using Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire, not at all but I think it is a good tire for my trailer. these tires have an added protection against the heat with built-in weathering and ozone protection. And with the summer months getting into their absolute hottest parts, this feature could be a nice addition to have in my trailer tires. Additionally, these tires have interconnected tread blocks that I find encouraging. See, these interconnected tread blocks ensure the tread will last for a longer time and that’s something I find very intriguing.

I have nothing against Carlisle. I do find the ability of Copywriters to make features common to almost all tires sound unique and special. I do question the ability of anti-ozone waxes and oils to provide any "protection against heat" a serious stretch. Would love to see ant test data that supported that claim.

Be a smart shopper and don't fall for slick promotional claims. Ask to see the data and results from direct comparison tests. You will many times just get the sound of crickets.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #33
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires on my Cougar. They are a "good tire for my purposes" and I'm satisfied with the performance and am on my third set. As for "added protection against the heat with built-in weathering and ozone protection" DON'T be lulled into believing that the tire can protect itself from the sun's damaging UV rays. It's especially critical to cover/shield the tires in the south/southwest, but also important no matter where you store your RV.

As for "tread wear" I don't know of very many RV'ers who actually wear out the tread before the tires reach the "age out limit".. Carlisle recommends a 5-6 year service life before replacement, most people have less than 15,000 miles in that time frame, so tread wear (unless there's a trailer problem) is probably of no concern.

I agree with your points ^x2

Tags
tires