Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
chunker

Typical ceramic paint treatment

I'll be picking up the new Raptor this week, Wednesday, and will forego most of the "finance guy offerings" like ESP, tire stuff, but may consider an appropriate paint treatment/sealer. No idea what they would plan to charge $$$$ and I know that any product is hugely marked up from any actual or perceived cost. My initial understanding is a form of ceramic coating but not sure at this time. Since the Raptor has full body paint any treatment is probably different than what's used on a gelcoat and decals/tape, does anyone here know what is really applied and how it's applied?

I expect to do annual waxing like I did with the motorhome, also with FBP, so that when it's 13 like the motorhome it will look new too.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:22 AM   #2
chunker

I did a lot of research and reading about these "treatments" and reinforced my previous opinion that they basically are a waste of time and money and possibly even damaging to a delicate painted surface. One reference on an Integra forum was that Integra recommended 90 days before any sealing paint treatment. Other "profession detailers" talked about clay bar, paint correction etc. None of which is performed at a dealer "spray on". Applying a sealing ceramic too early and without prep essentially seals in any imperfections and swirls to the paint.

I keep all my vehicles in garages or under cover when not in use and I wash and wax them. Yes included. For me the $1000+ they would want is a waste of MY $$$$. I'll keep my $$$$.

Reference the tire sealer I'll pass on that too. I use a TPMS, EEZtire, and while that won't protect from a nail, it will alert me. If I absolutely feel the need for a sealer there are products that don't cost $600 out there. I'm amazingly handy doing that stuff.

EDIT ADD; Some might wonder why I referenced Integra guidelines about paint. There are limited paint shops in the Elkhart IN area and virtually all RVs go to those shops so your Raptor/Integra/Solitude likely all went to the same facility.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint