Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
Gordan D

Fresh Water Tank Replacement

I have a 2018 Laredo 325RL with a 66 gallon tank. I lose water driving down the road. I can see it coming off the back of the camper. It's currently at the dealer for this issue (under warranty) but I'm getting the runaround. Has anyone ever replaced one of these tanks? If so, can you tell me how much trouble it is and a rough cost for the tank?

Thanks for your time.
Gordan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

There have been pasts posts on this so try and search for water tank leak, or loss and see what comes up. I don't think replacement of the tank would necessarily fix the issue. From what I recall reading it sounded like a design flaw that allowed the water to slosh out of the vent line.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Chances are it's not the tank, but the fill hose positioning (or secondly, the vent hose positioning) that's causing your problem. As you tow, the trailer sway induces "sloshing" inside the tank. As the water force pushes against the hose, some is forced up the hose and out the fill spout. Then it stops as the water "sloshes" on the other side of the tank, and then moves back to push a bit more water out of the tank. Occasionally, if the hose is positioned "just right" the water can set up a siphon effect and virtually completely empty your tank, continuing even after you park the trailer. Once the siphoning starts, it's going to be very efficient in draining nearly everything out of the tank.

As long as the tank is not damaged, it's NOT the tank that's the problem, although tank placement can, in some situations contribute to the issue.

I think if you can get into the area where the fill hose and vent line are located, you'll find your problem to be that the hose is routed "too low" along the tank edge, allowing the siphoning to occur.

An easy way to determine if this is what's happening is to buy two "appropriately sized cork bottle stoppers", pull the vent screen, install the two cork stoppers in the vent and the fill ports, go for a tow and see if you lose water. If you don't, then it's the positioning. If you're still losing water from another location, then dig deeper with an eye on the tank.

Until you've eliminated the "most common cause" replacing the tank may (probably will) be an exercise in not only emptying the tank but also at emptying your wallet. Tanks seldom fail, so try the most common causes first.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Gordan D

Fresh Water Tank Replacement

Thanks for the response. I did a search earlier but apparently I didn't go back far enough. I've since found a couple of posts that seem to describe the situation fairly well. It's still hard to believe that I'm losing approximately 2/3 of a tank of water but I guess so. Once I get the camper back I'll do some more digging on my own.
Gordan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Sun Seekers (Forest River class C) were notorious for losing water in turns. They ran the fill hose uphill then back down to the tank. Only problem was it took a long Jose to get past the hump.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Keystoned

Towing water around is pretty heavy. I only carry about 1/4 tank and then top off near my destination. Sometimes that is not practical, but has been pretty rare...
Old 01-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Towing water around is pretty heavy. I only carry about 1/4 tank and then top off near my destination. Sometimes that is not practical, but has been pretty rare...
That was my thought as well. Start off with less water and fill closer to your destination or in the park.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Sun Seekers (Forest River class C) were notorious for losing water in turns. They ran the fill hose uphill then back down to the tank. Only problem was it took a long Jose to get past the hump.
Spanish spell checker?
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Roscommon48

Installed, not warranty, figure about $1200.

If you do it yourself it is whatever you pay for the tank. Google them.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #10
chunker

Here's a long winded reply about tanks and difficulty in getting the correct one. The tanks generally fit in the space between the trailer chassis frame lateral rails and an added lateral support bar that's bolted to the main fore/aft frame rails. Tank size is fairly generic for a sizing. In other words, a 35 gallon tank has typical dimensions. The differences are where the inlets and outlets are placed. The inlets, vent tube and inlet drain from the shower/toilet locations vary depending on how the manufacturer built the RV and placed the various fixtures. The tank will have a data plate on it with the model number. Guess where it is, top side so to see it to know what to order you have to drop it.

GF has a Crusader 5th wheel with 4 waste tanks, all 35 gallon. the main bath black tank "fell out of the frame" held in place by the coroplast and the outlet drain valve. She is the third owner and the trailer doesn't travel much, mainly on her bay lot and only leaves when we travel in the motorhome during hurricane season and don't want to leave it in NW FL. I live in AL with RV pole barns. I noticed a drip under the trailer and after some investigation found the black tank settled down some. Water was leaking out the drain outlet where it connected to the gate valve. I got cut away part of coroplast and put some boards and bottle jacks under and repositioned it up. It had slipped down out of the channels. Conversations with repair facilities said I needed the tank model number off the data plate to know what to order from the manufacturer. Jacking it up I was able to basically re-seat the outlet to gate valve, collected a few 5 gallon buckets of very brown water, and drain the tank and using ratchet straps secure the tank for the trip home and repair facility. Tanks are molded with rather robust mounting flanges that this one somehow slipped out of the brackets. I suspect the tank was partially dislodged when she got it because I never tow it with anything in any of the tanks except maybe a small bit of fresh.

Turns out the tank was OK and the repair facility didn't need to order a new one. That saved $$$$. They removed and reinstalled the side brackets and welded bracing and ran straps across making it stronger than when it left the factory. Then they replaced the section of coroplast I cut out.

You probably don't need a tank but if you do, it will get costly in $$$$ and time. Try the simple drain and venting issue first and only last resort think of tank replacement especially if it's on your dime.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #11
Pete C

My water always sloshed out while traveling and we would lose half our water, I put a valve in the vent line and close it while traveling.
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #12
bobbecky

Your fresh tank is probably closer to 50 gallons rather than the 66 gallons that is the listed water capacity of your rig. Total capacity includes, what I'm guessing is a 12 gallon water heater plus all the plumbing that contains water. Our rig shows the same 66 gallons, but the tank is also a little over 50 gallons. You will not be able to retrieve 66 gallons from your faucets.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water