Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Howie

5th wheel tire change jack placement

I can't find my instruction book so my question is when changing a tire or adjusting the brakes, should the jack placement be on the axle(s) or the frame. I have done both in the past but is seems to make sense that placing the jack on the axle tube is the proper way to do it. Comments/suggestions?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
ChuckS

If you have a six point hydraulic level up system use it to raise one side at a time just enough to lift tire off the ground.. loosen lug nuts prior to lifting

Otherwise... I use a floor jack and place underneath the spring U bolts and jack directly at the axle...

Dexter says to jack using the frame of the fifth wheel... utter nonsense in my opinion

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
bobbecky

Several years ago, I purchased a Safejack kit along with an adapter for my 12 ton bottle jack. This combination allows me to lift our rig if our 6 point leveling system isn't working or if I just want to jack without the system. I recently had to put the spare on due to a failed valve stem, and due to the location, was not able to use the leveling system. I jacked the frame up as high as I could on the unlevel location we were stopped at, and then used my 6 ton jack under the U-bolts with a piece of 2X4 to finally lift the wheel another inch or so off the ground. The Safejack product is an excellent well made kit and is much safer than using blocks to raise one of these rigs. You may not need one of these very often, but when you do, you will appreciate having it, and I have never regretted buying it. https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...ut-bottle-jack
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

If you use a bottle jack, you will need a foot of cribbing to get the jack high enough to lift the frame. The axle is the best spot. Make sure you chock the opposite side wheels in both directions. If changing a tire, break the lug nuts loose before putting the tire in the air.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
travelin texans

Be sure to jack between the u bolts attaching the axle to the spring, not any further towards the middle of the axle.
Agree if jacking from the frame you'll a very tall jack &/or lots of blocks to ever get a tire off the ground. Jacking up a couple feet at the frame as opposed to a few inches at the u bolts to me is much more dangerous.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
Howie

thanks to all for the info. I was of the opinion axle vs. frame made more sense but wanted input from those who have actually used a jack.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
thanks to all for the info. I was of the opinion axle vs. frame made more sense but wanted input from those who have actually used a jack.
Have used a jack under the u bolts 100s of times on my personal trailers/RVs & trailers of all types at work changing flats as well as performing maintenance. If working on the suspension I'd jack it up/support it from the frame.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Page #24 in the following reference.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
NealBlue

I have in the past just pulled the wheel next to the flat one on leveling blocks. When that wheel goes up the other lifts off the ground also. If your wheels are further apart than most it might not work that way.

Tags
5th wheel