Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Par4x4

Minor Wood Rot

As I am going through all the systems on my new to me 2009 Keystone Springdale 266, I pulled the outside access panel to the refrigerator off and found some wood rot just inside the access panel. The rot is confined to the upper inch or so of the outside wall. I've cleaned out all the rot and now I'm wondering what is the best way to repair.

Can I use a waterproof spray foam and reseal the joint between the refrigerator plumbing and electrical floor and exterior wall with rubber sealant?

I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about in the morning.
Par4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Photos would be a tremendous help. There are two vents, depending on which vent (upper or lower) the rot could be caused by different types of leaks. In the lower vent, the most common cause of "wood rot" is a leaking drain line, either broken (it's cheap plastic and deteriorates from the heat of the refrigerator chimney) or that same drain not being placed through a hole in the lower vent, so it drips on the wood inside and causes it to rot.

When you post your photos, we'll be able to suggest a cause and a solution.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Par4x4

Here are a couple pictures of what I'm talking about. One is the Access Panel and the other is the rot between the access panel bezel and interior wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator Access Panel.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	23800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry Rot.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	23801  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't see your refrigerator drain line in the photo, so I'd suspect that it's either missing and the condensation is dripping onto the OSB floor, running to the edge and has destroyed the wood side under the vent frame and/or you also have a leak around the perimeter of the vent frame that is allowing rain to drip into the area and has rotted the wood.

If I were you, I'd remove the vent frame, pull the aluminum siding away and see if you can access the wood sheeting. You may be able to see all of the rotted wood and get access to it by working from the bottom of the trailer and through the vent cutout. If so, you can repair the side sheeting.

With that said, I'd also suspect, based on your photo, that the OSB floor under the refrigerator has also been wet and may be damaged. The screws holding the 120 VAC plug to the top of the vent opening are rusted, so, to me, that indicates that there has been water "coming down from above" which reinforces the suspicion that the vent tube is/was not connected or was damaged and leaking water onto the refrigerator floor and that side sheeting.

You're probably going to need to pull the refrigerator out to access the floor. Since you're going to be doing quite a bit in that area, I'd just pull the refrigerator and make sure everything around/under it is also in good condition.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with what John stated. The only thing I would add is remove that 120v outlet (power off )and check for corrosion inside. I'd also turn off battery disconnect if you have one or remove battery cable and remove each of the electrical connections one at a time and if corrosion is present clean it up. It may save some headaches later down the road.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Par4x4

Follow up

Okay, I removed all the rotted wood and it was only that 1"x 1.5" cross piece between the floor of the refrigerator plumbing/hardware and the outside of the camper shell. There is no rot below at all. I replaced the rotted wood and now I'm trying find where the condensate drain went after it enters the box. The drain is there, it's just broken/dried out. Here is a picture of the drain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Refrigerator Drain.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	23808  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The drain attaches to a "drain port" on the drip pan that's located in the top of the refrigerator section, directly under the fins. If you look to the left side of the drip pan you'll see the opening where the molded drain exits the interior of the refrigerator. On the outside, "tucked way up under the radiator fins" you'll find that drain port. There's a ribbed projection that the drain hose slips onto. It's routed down through the absorption tubing and then is routed out through one of the vent openings on the lower vent door.

In the end of the tube is a plug with several small holes in it. Without the plug in place, heat and bugs can crawl up the inside of the hose and enter your refrigerator. So, any hose will do, but remember to route it out of the trailer and use the plug in the end of the hose.

Here is one link to the drain hose plugs: https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-E...2K0BWWE01RF9CQ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dometic vent plug.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	23809  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Par4x4

Problem Almost Solved

I've pretty much got this issue solved. The drain line was broken at the connection to the frig. I've ordered the drain line and bug plug for the end of the line. The only rotten piece of wood has been removed and replaced and all that is left to do is reseal the new piece of wood and the bezel for the access panel.

Thanks to everyone that posted replies and advice.