Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
canula2

Post Refrigerator Issue

Hoping for some input, We have a 2012 Passport 2650 BH. Totally new to rv'ing and I am sure that the refrig is not working properly. I know it is getting electricity because the light is on. I have it set to the auto mode and the check light is not on. The little temperature slide on the inside is set 3/4 up toward that colder side. We camped for the first time this weekend and the frig only seemed cool to me and I am not completely certain that that was not partly due to the weather. It was in the 40's. Any tips would be appreciated. . I know I can call my dealer yet again-lol, but I figured I would spread the wealth of my ignorance around a bit-haha
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
canula2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The optimum fridge temperature ranges from approximately 35 to 38 degrees so if your inside temperature is in the 40's, it is too high. Did you use a thermometer to check the interior fridge temperature? What about the freezer compartment?
Did it keep things frozen? Was your fridge level while you were camping? If it wasn't, then this could cause the fridge not to operate properly.
You might try plugging it in at home and adjusting your temperature control slider to the coldest setting to see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Ruffus

Smile Tip

Hey Canula2
Click on the repairs and maintenance header and go down to the Amazing refrigerator story. I've had issues with mine ever since I bought it new and it turned out to be that it needed a good cleaning in the flue. There can be other issues too but read the manual and go from there.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
canula2

I am sure the temp was not in the optimum range, but will check with a thermostat. We were just out for a night so I did not have anything in the freezer. Freezer temp seemed same as refrig and the milk was just barely cool. We are new to camping so the leveling thing may be an issue, but from the inside the trailer seemed level enough. Thanks for the info Festus, we will check into the leveling issue.
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
canula2

Thanks Rufus I will check out that article
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
hankaye

canula2, Howdy;

Alot of folks are used to the way that our "in the house" fridges work.

These work with a different process, same end result. You can help the fridge by plugging it in a day before you go. Put a bag of ice in the freezer and another in the lower section (this one in a bucket or something to hold the water while it melts. These fridges work by pulling the heat away from the stuff to cool it instead of chilling it with cool air. Some RV sites recommend that we get little fans to circulate the air. Haven't used one of them yet.
My TT is a 1995 the only times when I have any problem is when the outside air temps are in the 10* and below range. Then only when the wind is bolwing into the vents for thr fridge. (I put some things in a cooler outside during those times :-) lol).

I Fulltime in mine in Central Utah. Sometimes we have weeks below 10* with nights in the minus teens and lower.

So, plug it in a day or 2 before you leave, put some ice in both compartments to help it along, and enjoy...

Hope that helps.

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Kunkler

i have noticed the frig will cool down quicker running on gas than electric, turn it on a few days before you leave out that what i had to do in the past
Kunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
canula2

Thanks Jeremy
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

It takes at least 24-36 hours for an absorption refrigerator to cool down. If you put warm soft drinks/beer, water in ice trays etc in it before it's cool, it takes even longer. Make sure the RV is level (Don't be inane about it, but comfortable enough to cook, sleep in it) put a couple of cheap thermometers in it, one in the freezer and one in the refrigerator compartment, then turn on the referigerator. Don't open the doors for about 24 hours, then check the thermometers in both the freezer and the reefer compartments, the freezer should be below 25 and the reefer should be below 38. If that's what you find, then probably what happeened this time is you never gave the reefer enough time to cool down and it never reached operating environment.

In most owner's manuals, there is a suggestion to stock with cold/frozen food when starting it up. That's about the same as previous suggestions to use a bag of ice in each compartment. We have found that if we start with empty an refrigerator and just give it a day, it is cool and we go from there. Remember, when you open the door all the cool air falls out and it has to start over cooling the new warmer air that's left, so the recommendation that a full refrigerator is more efficient is true, less warm air space because the reefer is full of cold food.

If, at the end of that 24 hour startup, the thermometers are too warm, then take it back to the dealer. Dometic had a problem in 2010 and 2011 with some of their refrigerators and the cooling unit won't cycle back on once it shuts off. My cooling unit had to be replaced under warranty when the unit was only 2 months old. Don't wait until the warranty on the unit is expired, the cooling unit is about $750 and a new reefer is over $1000.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
Terrydactile

As others have mentioned, pre-cooling an RV fridge is critical. Per-cool for 24 hrs, adjust temp control if necessary and then put your stuff in it and monitor with a thermometer. If you have problems after doing it this way then you can start looking elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
CincyGus

All great tips:

1) Pre-cool at least 24 hours prior to leaving.
2) Use gas as it seems to cool faster this way.
3) Wait till time to leave to pack cooler and then do so with already cold or frozen food. Loading warn soda or beer will kill the temps for at least 24 hours while it tries to cool those items.

One I'll add is that when I am getting ready to level the trailer, I place my level on the frig. It makes that that is optimal for it's operation and the floor is going to be level if the fridge is. If not, you've got bigger problems (bent frame, warped floor).

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote