Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Unusual Tire Wear

We just returned home from a 800 mile round trip. When we left Florida, all tires were inflated properly and all looked good. Our Cougar 327RES has very few miles on it. When we returned home 5 days later, we noticed the driver side rear tire was extremely worn but had no bulges. Tire was still properly inflated, just very worn. All other tires look fine. Any ideas what would be causing this?
Tom and Kelley Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Tom and Kelley:
If you could be a bit more specific about the tire wear, it would help narrow down the culprit. Is it on one edge, two edges, or in the middle? Is it even all the way round, uneven or cupped in places? Depending on wear pattern, the wear could be caused by a variety of things from an unbalanced tire, axle or alignment problems, etc.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Tom and Kelley Crawford

If memory serves me, it is around the entire tire on the inside and outside, the middle looks fine. The unit is not stored here but I will go and look at it again and maybe then I can give you a better description or, even better, post pictures.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Tom & Kelley:
If the tire is worn on the edges of both sides, this usually indicates under inflation but you did say that all the tires were inflated properly prior to and after your trip. If the tire is worn along one side only, it often a result of loss of camber, overloading and perhaps alignment.
Center wear -------- most often caused by over inflation.
A photo of the that particular tire tread would certainly help narrow it down somewhat.
Because it happened on one tire only and evenly around both outside edges, I am leaning towards under inflation as the cause. Keep us informed with an update when you get a chance to have a better look at it.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

could just be a defective tire.......... unlikely there is a problem with the trailer, being it is only one tire. i would think it would be kinda hard to over load one tire on one side. but i am no expert. i did however spend my entire high school career in a tire shop, and several years after school, up till my boy was born. and i seen this happen to a dozen or so "sets" of tires. i always just swaped it out under warrenty, and sent them on there way. if they came back, well then it must have been another issue. but most of the time, they didn't return untill rotation.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Our both of our last two dual axle TT's, we have had ONE wheel that was 20% different in weight than the other three. If it was mine, I'd weigh each wheel when fully loaded to see what was up. It may be your tire was under inflated for the load it was carrying, which would indeed cause just what you mentioned.

Note tire pressures are adjusted per axle for handling issues, so if it is that be sure to have both tires on any axle at the same pressure.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
smiller

FWIW I noticed this same problem with one tire on my 325SRX, meaning that it shows the typical signs of under-inflation wear (equal wear on both outer edges of the tire with no other abnormal wear patterns present.) Just one tire, others are OK. Since I am not the original owner I cannot be certain of the history of the tire so I cannot be certain the problem was caused by anything other than underinflation, but being just one tire it did seem... odd. I am going to swap that tire with the (new) spare and monitor it for any unusual wear.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Ok, thanks for all the responses. I went out to the 5er and looked a little more closely and took pics. In doing so, I think I may have discovered the problem. I think the Equa-flex on the rear axle has shifted on that (driver) side. You can see that the steel plate is cocked to the rear. The tire wear is on the inside and outside but much worse on the inside of the tire. I think she is going to the shop. I don't have the tools or jacks to lift her up and realign the equa-flex plate.

Tags
tires, worn tires