Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #41
fraleywp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post
His was 2012, mine (non ecob) was 2013. Edit - neighbours' were 2012-2013.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
That was GEN 1 I believe. The newer 3.5 has had some interim changes. Definitely 2015 and up all have The 6-speed tranny. They are over 400# lighter too. The new one will be crazy powerful. Insane amounts of torque.

I think my next truck will be diesel though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fraleywp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #42
jonnyaiks

That's how I went.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #43
rcwyatt

I have the 2016 3.5 ecoboost. Overall pleased with it. Pulling approx 5000 lb camper. Plenty of power up the hills. Only disappointed with the mileage. Anywhere from 8 to 12 and seems like it has a lot to do with the fuel. Sometimes I will be getting 10+ and fill up and all of a sudden I am getting 8mpg. I do understand that 10mpg average is common but I unrealistically thought it would be 10+ all the time. More truth in the boost than the "eco". Researched the truck expensively before I bought it. The did have some turbo moister problems with the 1st generation. Couldn't find any problems with the last 3 years models. Like I said overall happy with the truck.
rcwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #44
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

2017 ford F150

Until it is an option on a Super Duty, none of this matters to anyone that requires a real truck. 1/2 tons just don't get the job done for big heavy work. They can have the best engine, but if the rest of the truck is inadequate it is all moot.

Given the diesel offering for those that need it, the ecoboost in a Super Duty probably will never make sense. If the ecoboost costs $3-4K more than the 6.2, the diesel option isn't that far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #45
rcwyatt

Real truck!!!! I guess you are one of those.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #46
rcwyatt

A real truck!!! My truck is perfect for my needs.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #47
fraleywp

So, I decided to upgrade my truck due to the small gas tank on the '15. I looked at a 250 but in my price range it would have been a stripper. No console and no options. I drive daily, but I don't tow daily.

So I compromised. I found 3 trucks with the options I wanted and within my price range. I ended up with a 5.0. It had a greater payload and towing capacity than the '15 Ecoboost. The '15 was a 2.7 though. The maximum towing capability on the F150 is the 3.5. I couldn't find one with the 36 gal tank that wasn't approaching 60k. Not wanting to spend that much on a half ton.

I am towing a tt with a max payload of 7200 and the new '17 has a max tow of 9100. The '15 max was 7500. The overall payload went up by 850 as well but I forget the actual number at the moment. I just felt I was a little too close to max with the '15 and I have a better safety margin now.

I towed the trailer from NE GA to St Petersburg Florida and it handled it like a champ. I did not have a ton of gear and all tanks on the trailer were empty. I have no plans of towing carrying water unless it's a local campground.

I do now believe the guy earlier in this thread about how towing with the V8 feels less strained. But I can only compare to the smaller Ecoboost. The 3.5 is still supposed to be more capable.

If I ever upgrade to a heavier trailer I will also be upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton. But I would hate to have to use a Superduty as a daily driver. The handling is just not good enough in daily use for my taste.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraleywp View Post
So, I decided to upgrade my truck due to the small gas tank on the '15. I looked at a 250 but in my price range it would have been a stripper. No console and no options. I drive daily, but I don't tow daily.

So I compromised. I found 3 trucks with the options I wanted and within my price range. I ended up with a 5.0. It had a greater payload and towing capacity than the '15 Ecoboost. The '15 was a 2.7 though. The maximum towing capability on the F150 is the 3.5. I couldn't find one with the 36 gal tank that wasn't approaching 60k. Not wanting to spend that much on a half ton.

I am towing a tt with a max payload of 7200 and the new '17 has a max tow of 9100. The '15 max was 7500. The overall payload went up by 850 as well but I forget the actual number at the moment. I just felt I was a little too close to max with the '15 and I have a better safety margin now.

I towed the trailer from NE GA to St Petersburg Florida and it handled it like a champ. I did not have a ton of gear and all tanks on the trailer were empty. I have no plans of towing carrying water unless it's a local campground.

I do now believe the guy earlier in this thread about how towing with the V8 feels less strained. But I can only compare to the smaller Ecoboost. The 3.5 is still supposed to be more capable.

If I ever upgrade to a heavier trailer I will also be upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton. But I would hate to have to use a Superduty as a daily driver. The handling is just not good enough in daily use for my taste.

You don't specify the payload of your truck (door sticker) but I would think that your new truck will do just fine pulling a trailer with a gvw of 7200. If you start doing a lot of mountains you will probably make the 5.0 work but it won't hurt it. You didn't say what kind of WDH/SC you had but make sure you have a good one. Then, have fun with the new truck!! As far as the HD truck and handling....I said the same thing! Funny, after a few years it seems to "handle" pretty good; parking/tight spots - not so much
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #49
fraleywp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't specify the payload of your truck (door sticker) but I would think that your new truck will do just fine pulling a trailer with a gvw of 7200. If you start doing a lot of mountains you will probably make the 5.0 work but it won't hurt it. You didn't say what kind of WDH/SC you had but make sure you have a good one. Then, have fun with the new truck!! As far as the HD truck and handling....I said the same thing! Funny, after a few years it seems to "handle" pretty good; parking/tight spots - not so much
I am not able to look at the door sticker at the moment but I did look at it before. The only thing I remember off the top of my head is the payload is 800lbs higher than the 2.7 was. The new one is 7050k payload package and the old one was 6250. I want to say it was 1804 on the sticker.

I am using an E2 WDH. The new truck has sway control so not sure I will need to go to an E4 yet. My understanding is I would need to disable the factory sway control if I do move up to something like an E4.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #50
fraleywp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraleywp View Post
I am not able to look at the door sticker at the moment but I did look at it before. The only thing I remember off the top of my head is the payload is 800lbs higher than the 2.7 was. The new one is 7050k payload package and the old one was 6250. I want to say it was 1804 on the sticker.

I am using an E2 WDH. The new truck has sway control so not sure I will need to go to an E4 yet. My understanding is I would need to disable the factory sway control if I do move up to something like an E4.

And I am sure my E rated Nittos are contributing to stability. They have 3400 something payload per tire. 10 ply tires with puncture resistant sidewalls. Swapped my wheels and tires when I traded.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Using an E2 vs E4 is your decision but I would go with the E4 simply because of the enhanced sway control and increased safety factor (Equalizer 4 point is what I use). 7200 lbs. is a pretty good load on a 1/2 ton and I suspect the trailer is 30+ ft.? I don't think you have to do anything to the truck sway control when you add the WDH/SC. The internal truck sway control uses internal mechanisms to help prevent sway in the truck. The external trailer sway control will help control the sway generated in the trailer. They should work together to enhance the properties of each other.

And yes, the tires should be helping as well.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #52
fraleywp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Using an E2 vs E4 is your decision but I would go with the E4 simply because of the enhanced sway control and increased safety factor (Equalizer 4 point is what I use). 7200 lbs. is a pretty good load on a 1/2 ton and I suspect the trailer is 30+ ft.? I don't think you have to do anything to the truck sway control when you add the WDH/SC. The internal truck sway control uses internal mechanisms to help prevent sway in the truck. The external trailer sway control will help control the sway generated in the trailer. They should work together to enhance the properties of each other.

And yes, the tires should be helping as well.
What you say about sway control makes sense, I was just going by a recommendation I read on another forum. I will keep the E2 for now, but may go to the E4 if I start feeling any squirliness while towing.

The dry weight is listed at 4600 something pounds. Even if we add 1k to that I don't see adding 1600 lbs in gear to the trailer. I dont have kids so at most it would be me and 1 or 2 others camping. I also don't intend to carry water.

Part of the reason I traded the other truck is the max tow rating for it was only 400lbs over the max trailer weight. Too close of a margin for me.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Good. If you plan to run at 6k or below you should be in good shape. The problem with sway will be with the length of the trailer and the amount of wind and turbulence it can catch. You be the judge but with a good, properly tuned WDH/SC you should never feel the tail of the trailer move in any other direction than what the truck is pushed - they should act as one. If you feel the trailer do anything other than that, and I'm afraid you will, you need a more substantial SC.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #54
fraleywp

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Tags
f150, ford