Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
tommy_z

Pets & Contact info on door

I sometimes leave my two dogs in my trailer for several hours while out exploring. If something catches their attention, they will likely bark. And bark. I close all blinds and leave the TV on to minimize their distraction by the outside world.

I sometimes worry too much barking could be reported, and I might bet the boot. I wondered if it would be a good idea to leave a name and number on the door for someone to contact me if they become a nuisance. Bad idea?
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Hideout17

I do exact same thing with my two dogs. Leave blinds down and TV on the less they see the less they will bark. I have had no complaints yet and I know others do the same and haven't heard excessive barking. I wouldn't leave my number on door.
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
I sometimes leave my two dogs in my trailer for several hours while out exploring. If something catches their attention, they will likely bark. And bark. I close all blinds and leave the TV on to minimize their distraction by the outside world.

I sometimes worry too much barking could be reported, and I might bet the boot. I wondered if it would be a good idea to leave a name and number on the door for someone to contact me if they become a nuisance. Bad idea?
Some campgrounds have specific rules about leaving pets unattended not only at your site but also inside your RV. You need to check with the campground about what their policy is regarding leaving pets unattended.

In addition, some dogs do "suffer" from separation anxiety and no matter what steps you take to minimize their barking, it is a very difficult condition to overcome. As soon as you leave, the barking and other "bad behavior" begins and won't stop until the dogs see the whites of your eyes. Lowering the blinds and turning on the TV may not do anything to stop barking from dogs who have this condition.

I'm not telling you anything new but non-stop barking can become a real annoyance depending upon how close you are to your camping neighbors, the "pitch and duration" of the barking and how loud it is. The longer it goes on, the more annoying it becomes.

If it were me, I wouldn't be leaving my name and phone number on the door.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Steve S

Just a question, why do you have dogs if you don't take them with you?
If you love to get out then so do your dogs correct
I would and have never left my dogs cooped up for hrs at a time as that's just not right
Old 11-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Just a question, why do you have dogs if you don't take them with you?
If you love to get out then so do your dogs correct
I would and have never left my dogs cooped up for hrs at a time as that's just not right
Well, at least in our situation, dogs can't always go where we need to (or want to) go. For instance, this summer we towed the trailer on about an 8000 mile journey through the mid-west and the Rockies. We were going to be "on the road" for about 2 months, so boarding Bubba wasn't an option. He travels well, enjoys his "alone time" in the trailer and we often go places where dogs just aren't welcome. As an example, the Mormon Tabernacle, the Denver Museum of Natural History, the Air Force Academy, and may other "people oriented" sites.

While we do include him in many of our jaunts, sometimes it's just not practical or even possible to have him along but even more impractical to do the trip leaving him in a "boarding kennel" or as my DW calls it, the "doggy orphanage".

I wouldn't leave my name/contact information taped to the door. I well remember "back in the day" (1970's) when everyone had signs/placards on their RV with their names and city/state. Ours was in white vinyl letters on the back bumper. It stated, "OUR OUTHOUSE John and Terri Denver Colorado".

We were camped for the night on a plateau in southern Colorado, nobody around for miles, just me, the DW and our 2 year old daughter. About 2AM, the trailer started rocking, someone was banging on the door and yelling "John and Terri, wake up!" With the dog barking, a pistol in hand, and my DW crawled into the corner of the bed "hiding", I peered out the window trying to see who I knew that would be calling us by name at that hour and in that place. There were two drunks in a white pickup, stuck in the sand on the side of the road, banging on our trailer to get a "tow" out of the sand. They turned out to be "harmless" (except for peaceful sleep), but when the sun came up, I took our names and location off the bumper. They knew, from that bumper, who we were and how far from home we were. No need to give anyone more information than they needed.

So, I'd advise, just discuss your plans with the campground host. When you return, ask if your pets created any problems. If you repeatedly get told that they were barking and too loud, then stop leaving them alone and find a different way to see the sites with your pets. On the other hand, after several "jaunts without them", you're fortunate enough to hear, "They were no problem at all", your "comfort level" will rise to the point that you'll stop worrying about leaving them alone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
GaryWT

We will leave the dog home if we are spending a week at the beach or someplace we cannot take her much. On some trips if we want to go out to eat we have to leave her in the trailer.

As for leaving info, if the campground has your cell phone number, they will find you if they need to. We got a call once but everything worked out fine. Too many places say they allow dogs but then dogs are not to be left alone nor can they go anywhere in the campground, go figure.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Javi

We pretty much take our dogs with us when we go camping, they have always stayed comfortably in their kennel when we have to leave them for a couple of hours. They're used to the kennel because we have an exact duplicate at home and they kennel while we eat or when strangers are visiting.

We do have a placard which says Pets on Board which we place in the entry door window when we leave so that folks will know they're in there if a fire breaks out..

As I write this I just realized that we no longer have little Barney Ray and next week will be our first trip in more than 8 years without our little buddy. We've been fighting the urge to get another puppy for Peyton Manning to play with, but I'm trying not to..
Old 11-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
We've been fighting the urge to get another puppy for Peyton Manning to play with, but I'm trying not to..
C'mon Javi - we all know that you're just a pushover with soft spot in your heart for dogs. Don't fight the urge - give into it and get a buddy for Peyton. He'll be happy and so will you.

My wife's "logic" would apply in your case: "There's only one thing better than having a Golden Retriever and that's having two!"
Old 11-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Steve S

What bothers me the most is when it's stinking hot out and people leave their dogs locked in with the air on and the windows shut.
How long would it take your pets to die if the power went out or your ac went on the fritz?
These trailers can heat up really fast and your pets wouldn't last very long.
I hate hearing stories of oh I just had to run to the store.
Maybe I'm just weird as I think about my dog and her happiness before I think about myself
Old 11-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
tommy_z

I'm not a worry wart, and don't think the worst of everything could happen. Yes, the power could go out. Our maybe the propane tank could explode. With me inside, sleeping at night. I bet the odds it won't.

JRTJH: great story why not to post a name, at least while I'm inside

In retrospect, I suppose if I haven't received any complaints yet then this is probably a moot point. I only had this thought because I do strive to be courteous to my fellow campers.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #11
gearhead

Tommy...thanks for wanting to be courteous to your fellow campers.
I will say up front that I have had dogs, cats, turtles, etc. for pets, but don't now. And, I'm currently living in dog Hades with each neighbor providing stereo dog barking 24/7. Needless to say I have more conversations with my local police than my neighbors. So my tolerance for dog barking is low.
I would suggest being sure the office at the RV park has your cell number. If another camper goes to the office complaining about barking, the office can contact you.
I would also do an occasional "test". Shut the dogs inside, go outside, take a short walk, sneak up on your trailer with no talking and see if the dogs are barking. Don't get too close so they won't smell or hear you. Do this again. Several times.
Don't assume someone will report the barking to the office. A lot of people will avoid a confrontation at all costs. But not me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
14george

When we leave our pets their in a kennel air on and roof vents open
Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
LuvsPalmTrees

Our dogs have always camped with us. My older dogs always stayed in the the blinds drawn and the a/c on and one in a kennel the other never needed it. Our first camper was a pop up and she stayed in there with a box fan blowing on her and she never barked at anyone. Our neighbor never knew we had a dog until we brought her out after we got back. Our next dog had to have everything shut up and she stayed in her kennel. Never barked. Our current dog needs all the blinds open, radio on and a/c blowing. We always take them with us when we can but some places it would be punishment for them to go there with you. The trailer is a home away from home for her so she is very content to stay in the trailer. She does not bark at home or in the trailer so we are blessed with her.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
geo

We full-time in a S.O.B. But both in our former Alpine and in our present fiver, we have a monitoring system I personally installed (and, unfortunately wasn't cheap - meant for a home rather RV). This system monitors CO, heat, and also temperature. The temperature minimum and maximum are monitored. When the temperature exceeds this range, the system sends both text messages and calls to inform both my wife's cell and mine about the conditions. The range is set that we have plenty of time to return to the RV before conditions become dangerous. No, this system is not for everyone. But humans will go to great extents for their animals. And, yes, you may classify us as "crazy".

Regards,
Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #15
Barbell

We have been in this fiver for close to three years and most usually spend from two to four months away from home. Our travel companions are two Goldens, ages 3 and 5. We usually leave them in the rig when we are out because it is too hot to leave them in the truck if we want to get out. We leave music on, usually classical, windows open and fans on. If it is warm, air is on. We have a sign saying "pets aboard" and never lock the door. The big dog will bark if he hears someone close by but have had neighbors tell us that once they move away, barking stops and they see him more as a deterrent than a problem. Campgrounds usually say don't leave them unattended but we have never had a call that they were a problem.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
Homer & Marge

Really??

I am totally fed up with people who bring barking dogs camping. You are totally obnoxious if you allow your dog on a trip if they disturb everyone else. The worst ones are those who lock their dogs in the RV and leave, their dogs barking the whole time, sometimes all day long. Don't torture your own dog!!. If you do this where I am camping, I will turn you in immediately. Get a dog that does not bark, or leave them at home. Don't make everyone else at the park miserable out of your own selfishness.
Homer & Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #17
Eddie A.

Pets & Contact info on door

We just went camping for the first time with our dog at a pet friendly campground and we're worried the new surroundings might get her yapping, but she was cool as a cucumber. Our neighbors however had 5 (yes 5!) little "kick me" dogs that yapped all day and most of the night [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #18
CaptnJohn

We were concerned when Buster passed and left Roscoe alone. Blinds down, tv on and heat or both ACs running. We downloaded the app Alfred. We leave it on with 1 cell phone pointed at a thermometer and plugged into the charger. We call about every 30 minutes from my phone. We can see the temp and hear if there is any barking or noise other than the tv. Best of all, Alfred is free.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote