Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
busterbrown

How do you winterize you RV water lines?

This will be my first season wintering an RV. I've been debating on which method will be easiest and most effective: blowing out the lines with my air compressor or gravity draining via the low point caps and adding antifreeze to the system via the tank or water pump. I've read that some RV owners do both.

What are most members on here doing to manage their RV's water lines in the northern states? What's the most common practice for these late model trailers?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Desert185

I drain the hot water heater, close the bypass valve, drain the fresh water, gray and black tanks, blow out the system with 30-40# of air pressure and add RV antifreeze to the p-traps and black water tank. It can get as cold as 10F here and I have had no problems.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I drain the hot water heater, close the bypass valve, drain the fresh water, gray and black tanks, blow out the system with 30-40# of air pressure and add RV antifreeze to the p-traps and black water tank. It can get as cold as 10F here and I have had no problems.
X2 Only around here it sometimes can get to -30 below zero. Don't forget any outside water lines and the black tank flush if so equipped. Some are not comfortable with blowing the lines only, so do what ever makes you worry less over the winter. done properly either way works.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
slow

How do you winterize you RV water lines?

My detailed winterizing instructions are posted in my albums if you are interested.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=735

We can get to -40 up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: How do you winterize you RV water lines?

There is a "forum sticky" located here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20540

Being in Michigan, even "way down there around Detroit" it can get cold enough to damage fittings, faucets and plumbing. My recommendation, for this area, is to do both, use compressed air to remove as much water as possible, then add RV antifreeze to all the plumbing lines. That will protect everything in the RV (if you do it correctly) and next spring you won't be doing repairs while everyone else is camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
BlueThunder34

One thing you may want to consider if using your air compressor is to be sure you have an inline filter on your air hose. Ever notice that rusty, gunk that comes out when you drain your air compressor tank? To some it's probably not a big deal, but I prefer to not blow that stuff through my water lines in the RV. I use a fine particulate filter in line like those used when spraying automotive paint to remove moisture from the line when spraying. Just a thought.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
do both, use compressed air to remove as much water as possible, then add RV antifreeze to all the plumbing lines. That will protect everything in the RV (if you do it correctly) and next spring you won't be doing repairs while everyone else is camping.
Here in Missouri this is what I also do.. I feel more secure knowing that my all my lines and fittings are safe from being frozen...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
This is what I do but I live in W TX. It can get to 0 at times but our RV is in an enclosed, insulated building. I've not seen it below 20 in the building. If I were where you are I would definitely be pushing anti freeze into the lines.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
poppin_fresh

Here in New England it can get super cold in winter (February of 2015 the AVERAGE temp was 5.1 degrees!). I just don't trust that I could push all the water out of the bends in the pipes with air.

IMO, antifreeze is cheap and it only takes a few minutes to put in the system and take out so why take a shortcut? If you are lucky enough to live in a warmer climate, I could see the argument for only using the compressor though.
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote