Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
NavyMustang

Question Travel Information for VT/NH

I am heading from upstate NY over to Acadia National Park here in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has ever traveled VT Route 9 to NH Route 101 to I-95 and can tell me if that route has a lot of steep hills. I think that route would be more scenic than taking I-90 to I-95, but I'm pulling my TT at just about 6000 lbs with a Silverado 1500 with a 6200 lb tow capacity. I don't want to tax my TV too much!

Thanks!
NavyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMustang View Post
I am heading from upstate NY over to Acadia National Park here in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has ever traveled VT Route 9 to NH Route 101 to I-95 and can tell me if that route has a lot of steep hills. I think that route would be more scenic than taking I-90 to I-95, but I'm pulling my TT at just about 6000 lbs with a Silverado 1500 with a 6200 lb tow capacity. I don't want to tax my TV too much!

Thanks!
Well, consider this: Max towing capacity is 6200 and your RV weighs 6000. So, depending on what you have in the bed of the truck and the weight of passengers, you might already be "over your GCWR". But, even if you're not over GCWR, with those numbers, you'll be towing at 96.71% of your maximum allowable weight, while towing "uphill", in the summer, on a "scenic" road.....

Will your rig "do it" ??? You'll now for certain when you get back !!!

If you "don't want to tax your TV too much", consider that you're "right on the edge of maximum" and make your decision on what to do.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
notanlines

I think that trailer weighs more than you expect. I'm guessing about 7500 off the lot or close to it. Probably in the neighborhood of 2K on your pin weight.....I'd stay as flat as I could until I got to a Chevvy dealer and lost my 1500 and found my late model 2500. I'm just sayin'.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
busterbrown

If your trailer is around 4700 lbs dry, and you add 1000lbs of cargo, you'll be at 5,700 lbs only. You're close to towing capacity but not pushing the limits with your 1/2 ton. A good brake controller, a high qualiry, properly-set wdh with sway control, and staying within your payload capacity of the truck will give you many enjoyable miles of camping. Your hitch weight should be around 12% of your trailer's gvwr. Your 5.3L Vortec engine will be taxed on some steep inclines. Just keep an eye on Trans temps (add an external Trans cooler if possible) and keep your speed down. Not every trailer needs a full ton tow vehicle, even if the super duty diesel guys disagree.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
NavyMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I think that trailer weighs more than you expect. I'm guessing about 7500 off the lot or close to it. Probably in the neighborhood of 2K on your pin weight.....I'd stay as flat as I could until I got to a Chevvy dealer and lost my 1500 and found my late model 2500. I'm just sayin'.....

It's a Bullet 248RKS TT with a 5012 lb advertised shipping weight. If it somehow gained 2500 lbs off the lot with nothing in it, Keystone would be opening themselves up to lawsuits out the wazoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
If your trailer is around 4700 lbs dry, and you add 1000lbs of cargo, you'll be at 5,700 lbs only. You're close to towing capacity but not pushing the limits with your 1/2 ton. A good brake controller, a high qualiry, properly-set wdh with sway control, and staying within your payload capacity of the truck will give you many enjoyable miles of camping.
Thanks for the input. I don't think the wife and I even come close to 1000 lbs of cargo in the trailer. (At least I hope not!) We pull it dry and only have the bare necessities. The heaviest thing in there is our Coleman grill. I know it all adds up, so I'm going to get it weighed this weekend so I know what our approximate tow weight and GCWR is. And I do have a nice brake controller and wdh/sway control. Took it up to the Adirondack's this past weekend and it did great as far as controllability was concerned!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
notanlines

My bad. I am sitting here with my hat in my hand, red-faced and embarrassed. For the life of me I don't know where I got the idea that you were pulling an extra-lite. Near as I can tell you are within every limit of trailer and truck. I wouldn't sweat it and just enjoy the trip.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 AM   #7
NavyMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
My bad. I am sitting here with my hat in my hand, red-faced and embarrassed. For the life of me I don't know where I got the idea that you were pulling an extra-lite. Near as I can tell you are within every limit of trailer and truck. I wouldn't sweat it and just enjoy the trip.
No worries at all! You had me worried there for a sec! I was thinking that you knew something that I didn't!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
GaryWT

I have never been on Route 9 that I can think of but maybe. Usually on route 4 or 89 in Vermont although years back I went through the Green Mountains and had trouble towing a pop up with a 6 cylinder.

Rt 4 to 89 to 93 to 101 is a nice ride but probably more highway than you want. We were on 101A in NH the other day for a bit and it was not bad.

Take it slow and enjoy. In Sept we will be going from Acadia to Mid/Northern NH probably on 302.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #9
Dave W

I probably wouldn't travel VT9 if I had any question of my TVs capability. You will be fine between Troy and Bennington but that hill East of Bennington, around those switchbacks then wandering the narrow road through the back woods and small towns of VT and NH. I would be more inclined to head to Bennington, Go up US7 to Rutland then US 4. You still have a pretty long hill but at least no nasty switchbacks that pull your speed to zilch. I have done both pulling TTs as well as 5ers but only with F250/F350 vehicles with no weight or power train considerations. Another alternate way and my favorite with fewer nasty hills would be to travel the Northway to Exit 31, to Essex, ferry to Charlotte, VT then to Burlington on US7 to I-89/US2 to Bangor. This is the way we usually travel to Maine or Canada's Maritimes. None of these routes are quick. I worked in Maine for a couple years, commuting every week from the Capital District plus we have vacationed there many times and probably tried every conceivable way, with and without an RV behind us.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
hdxbonez

Route 9 has a few grades, but it's a MUCH nicer drive than 90/495/95