Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
Gadgetmonster

Spent a bunch of time on a creeper under the Cougar

I have had our 2015 33res a few weeks and wanted to drain the fresh water before storing. Manual says find the drain under the RV. So I went hunting underneath on a creeper. There are 3 drains. A red and black pair with black screw on caps and another white petcock. Opened all 3.

While under there I went poking around from stem to stern. Looking at welds and where things are and at the brakes etc.

One thing for sure... they live and die by the use of self drilling screws. Over time I see myself under there snugging and replacing with small through bolts.

The use of aluminum hand bent braces to the fenders and plastic trim is a bit hokey but I guess it works, is light and low cost.

All in all it looked pretty good under there.

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Miniature Schnauzers supervise out trips
Gadgetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetmonster View Post

One thing for sure... they live and die by the use of self drilling screws. Over time I see myself under there snugging and replacing with small through bolt
s.
I have had my camper 5 years now. I haven't found that I needed to change these self tapping screws. they are there and they are holding no need to redo them.
The fender skirt light weight holders are cheap and I have had to re-drill one to keep the fender skirt from flapping in the wind. It was screwed on the edge of the piece and never held so I re-drilled that one and it is working fine now.
enjoy your camper.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
dcg9381

byrdr, were your screws in sideways, not drilled into full stop? They're on my list to re-do also, just because the install is sloppy and lots of places where they're not in all the way. If they hold like that as-is, good to know..

I secured some of the wire insulation that was coming out, etc. The reality is that every one of these RVs probably needs to be checked to have a good long term outcome. I secure the wire insulation with expanding foam glue.

Eventually, I'll get around to dropping the belly cover.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
GaryWT

The drains you found are the low point drains for the hot and cold water piping plus the fresh water tank.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
GMcKenzie

The ones holding the chloroplast on are fine, but I've had to tighten all the ones on the sides of the trailer. Most were loose after 5 years so I'm going to do this more often now.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
byrdr1

all the cabinet doors have been re-tightened over the last few months while I wasn't camping. Never knew how many hinges you have until you start tightening those up. noticed it on a few then got to looking but just be careful with a screwdriver.
I have not noticed the side screws coming loose but the fender skirts have had a few come loose.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote