Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #21
buzzcop63

Our Travel Trailer came with the Winegard Sensar IV HD Antenna, which you crank up and then can turn to tune in stations. We added the Wingman to increase signal strength. Next I installed the Winegard Sensarpro TV Signal Meter, which replaced the standard power supply and acts as a signal strength indicator, adjustable amplifier and wall plate power supply, it added specific search modes, eliminating guesswork. Also found a foam rubber clock, like the one you might use to train your kids how to tell time. I cut out the center with the hands and placed it over the ceiling crank so that once stations are found you can mark down their location then when you wish to change the direction of the antenna for a specific station or group of stations you know exactly where to turn the crank to align the antenna. Also the following web sights will allow you to put in the zip code of the location you are going to camp at and it will show the RF number and stations that can be viewed by your antenna and the strength of their signal and location to give you a better chance of locking on. And last I found that once the Sensarpro TV Signal Meter locates the most stations I let the TV search and lock in those stations, the TV seems to pull in more then I get by just selecting the channel. Be aware that not all stations are the common ones you are used to, many have an RF number like 45 and will represent channel 12 or Fox on the signal meter.
http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx
https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/
Old 09-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3/T4 Hybrid View Post
Okay I checked things this weekend and its an antenna issue. I turned on the booster and still got a big nothing . I switched the TV to the antenna mode and did a search with no channels also. Im going to change out the analog antenna to a newer model batwing with the digital setup. Hopefully that will take care of things and I will not have to worry on raising or lowering the unit anymore.
A 2009 model should be fine ...... ALL tv antennas receive digital signals, don't believe the hype about HD antennas. Some are a little more fussy with aiming and may have slightly longer range. Chances are there is nothing wrong with your present antenna ... spend a little more time aiming and searching (you have to search after each re-position of the antenna) most channels will be on UHF and you have to be in range. As mentioned .... use one of the antenna search sites for a general direction to start with. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Before replacing the antenna, double check the cable connections on the antenna head, the base plate (where it enters the trailer roof) and on the splitters/boost amplifier. A loose connection or a center pin that is cut too short will cause you to have cable but not OTA TV. If all of the connections appear to be tight and properly cut, then this is what I do during trailer setup:

When we get to a "new, never been there campground" and cable isn't available, the first thing I do is compare where other campers have aimed their antennas. I start with the general direction of the majority of other campers. Then, I can "fine tune" from there if I do need to do some additional "antenna pointing"....

The main thing I think you need to do at this point, before spending money on a different antenna is to ask other campers in the area if they have TV reception. We go to a number of "dry campgrounds" that are simply too far from civilization to have any TV reception. In fact, we go to a couple where there's no radio reception during the day and limited reception at night and no cell service as well.

So, you might want to compare your reception to that of people around you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #24
Pull Toy

As stated by several members, you definitely need the AMPLIFIER turned on!

Another thought... is a "Digital Signal Finder". There are several inexpensive units out there that you plug in to your co-ax and s-l-o-w-l-y swing your antenna. It uses LEDs to indicate strong signal directions. Of course it only works if there is a signal, but at least you know where to point it before you try scanning for signal on your TV.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #25
T3/T4 Hybrid

Thanks for all of the advice. That signal meter looks like something I could use and will work best. I'll give it another go in a few weeks.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote