Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Just when I thought I was close to finished

with my punch list on my new Outback, I walked around looking at the seal and caulking around baggage doors and sure 'nuff, I found a door that had one side with no caulking at all. That's my project for tomorrow, go out and pull the door, clean all the old stuff off and reseal it. I know the dealer would do it under warranty, but I'm not sure they wouldn't just squirt some silicon under that one side and call it good. So far, everything I've done on this thing is better than when it left the factory( For what that's worth) No reason to stop now, I'm on a roll.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
therink

I've been following your posts. For what its worth, I have done many of the things you have. I like to call them "mods". It makes me feel better.
All I know is that I am doing what ever I can to make sure I prevent any leaks down the road. I have already repaired two small ones that I discovered before they became an issue.
Like many people, I had also elected to repair many of my Outbacks warranty punch list items myself than have the dealer cover up. I have no faith in my dealers service depth. They proved their lack of competence to me more than once. Pretty sad. Its a good thing Im handy and don't actually mind working on my toy.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Bob Landry

I actually enjoy working on mine also. I'm lucky to be handy and have the tools and expetise to do it, and my work IS better than the dealer's because I'm not in a hurry to finish so I can get to the next job. On the other end are the people who have not the knowledge or the desire to do this kind of work. It's sad that they do not get the quality they pay for. Actually is sad that we all don't get that quality, but as long as trailers are selling, that's not likely to change.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
therink

I agree. Well put.
Steve

Old 07-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Bob Landry

I'm a business owner and I understand trying to cut costs with creative purchasing and time management, but there's no excuse at all for sloppy work and that's really what I'm seeing the most. With unemployment like it is, I think the trailer manufacturers could find people who want to work and would take pride in what they do.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
therink

Yes I agree. I believe one of the issues is that there are more rv owners such as you and me that just suck it up and deal with the issues ouselves (do our own repairs) that arise out of poor workmanship/quality, rather than mlake a lot of noise with the manufacturers. There are those that do make the noise. The $ that the manufacturers spend resolving these issues (covered under warranty or not) are all factored in the rv pricing equation. I am pretty confident that some of the manufacturers and dealers have this all figured out, whereas allowing poor service will keep a certain portion of the owners (like you and I) from wanting to bring our rvs in for service related to warranty items. The owners that do depend on dealers for service are also the ones likely to fork out $120/hr for incompetant rv technicians to repair the water damage, wall separation/frame issues when they are one month out of warranty. I believe that the rv industry has it all figured out and as long as we keep buying, they will continue the same strategy.
I am thinking this mostly applies to the low and mid priced segment, hence why higher end units are built better, have better warranties, etc.
If you think about it, the manufacturers cram a lot of features, comfort, style and glitz onto a steel frame for not a whole lot of money (that is if you don't pay list price). Sure my Keystone isn't the highest quality and engineered piece of equipment, but it does provide me and my family an affordable means of a many good memories and that home away from home feeling. Its just up to me to baby and take care of it so it lasts until its paid for (gulp).
Just my opinion of course.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
Bob Landry

I'm not even sure the people who pay for the high end units get much more than a little better warranty and some added consideration from the dealer because they spent more money. Maybe a little nicer trim, larger water heater or fridge, etc. There are a lot of Montana owners out there with the same issues. The Sydney is supposed to be a high end unit and you are having the same issues that we are all having. I think it cimes down mostly to what happens on the production line and the skill level of the workers and not necessisariy the quality of the components being installed, but I could be mistaken.