Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
CampinDad

Bouncing while towing?

We just got a new Carbon 33 TT and I've towed it about 400 miles so far. My TV (6.7L F250) pulls it just fine, but I've noticed that it occasionally seems to "bounce". By that, I mean that it sort of see-saws up and down. It seems to occur most often on rougher back roads or on "segmented interstates" (I have no idea if this is a name, but the interstate with the evenly spaced bumps/spaces in the concrete).

Is this something to be concerned about?

The dealer gave me a 10,000# round bar e2 hitch and set it up for me. I look perfectly level.

I've never pulled anything larger than our former highwall PUP, so just not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal.
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Some bounce on segmented roads isn't unusual, but, you may have more issues at play.

Your dealer "gave" you a 10,000 lb hitch when you have a 13,000 lb trailer with a dry hitch weight of 1315. Not good. You don't give the year of the truck but if it's very old you may have suspension issues (shocks/springs) coming into play. Tires/tire pressure? They should be set at max pressure.

With that trailer weight on a bumper pull you are going to have to make sure you don't have the trailer loaded unequally. If you have a 10000lb WDH and it's level you may be overloaded to the rear letting the trailer hitch "pull" you up and down when the weight should be more forward biased.

First thing I would do is have the dealer "give" me a WDH that is appropriate for the trailer. Secondly, check the hitch on the truck. Is it a Class IV or V? You may have your hitch overloaded which could cause any number of problems and possible catastrophic damage in the future.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

There are several things that can cause that. Tires, over inflated, over max load, air bags with to much air, trailer load not balanced, head on high winds or just the roadway. What ever is the cause it is not fun riding a hobby horse on the highway.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
CampinDad

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realize the 10,000# hitch at the time as u was just trying to understand how to get it on/off. It looks like Fastway only makes the e2 up to 12,000#. What is the recommended hitch for my setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
CampinDad

Also, I weighed my set up on the way home. Not sure if I did it correctly, but here they are. Any thoughts?

Just truck:

Truck and camper:

Just camper:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
cw3jason

That hitch is fine if you are towing empty, based on your weighings, but what will it weigh when you load it. You bought a toy hauler, so I assume you have toys to haul. With a 4015lbs carrying capacity you can easily exceed your current hitch. You need to weigh it fully loaded and ready to camp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Do you have the weights mislabeled? Truck vs camper? Looks like it should be opposite of what you have them listed. Also, did you have the trailer connected to the truck the entire time?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
{tpc}

I have some thoughts besides what has already been mentioned. First, shouldn't the truck weight list both axles? Second, I didn't think you could weigh just the trailer, unhitched? But doesn't that seem to be what is shown?

Last, aren't toy haulers manufactured heavier on the tongue with the knowledge that your going to load something heavy in the back? Not sure how that plays into this, but I agree that you should probably load everything up first, then go weigh.

The wrong spring bars would factor into it as well. A trip back to the dealer is probably in order.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

What I would suggest is getting each truck axle wt. with the truck not connected to the trailer. Than you have a base line, starting point. Your truck will have listed wt.s max. in the manual and on the drivers door post. Likely will list Gross vehicle wt. either 8800 or 9600lbs. This is how I check wt.s
Truck front axle empty 4750 rear axle 3250
W/trailer front axle 4450 rear axle 4450
Trailer 5700 both axles
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote