Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
raineman

True DVR? - Record at home DVR - Take DVR on Trips?

Is anyone using a DVR to record shows when home to take on trips? I am looking for a DVR not affiliated with a cable or satellite company that I can use at home to tape shows and then take with me in the trailer. Is there such a thing?
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Road-King

I think a TiVO will do that.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When we were looking back in 2009, the only one available that fit our needs was the Magnavox HD DVR. It's still available here:http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR55...d+dvd+recorder

We've had ours for 5+ years, and still use it regularly. For us, it was cheaper than renting the DirectTV system.

I'm sure there's other models available, but this one has worked for us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
raineman

Thanks John. Does that unit allow you to hook it up (when home) between the cable box and the TV? Hoping to record HBO Showtime etc from the home cable box by using a timer on a DVR recorder.

Another thought. I have not tried it yet, but I do have cable DVRs provided by my cable company at home that have ability to record what I want. I am wondering if I can just unplug one of those cable DVRs from the house and plug it into the trailer's TV via HDMI. Obviously there would be no live cable, but wondering if it will allow me to access my recorded movies/shows. Anyone ever tried that?
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, you can hook it up either with an HDMI cable or with a coax or video/audio cables. You can (I believe) set up to 32 programmed recordings. The only limitation I've found is that you can't record two separate programs at the same time.

Mine has the capability of recording to the internal hard drive or to DVD's and can finalize the DVD's so they can be played on any video DVD player.

I haven't found any other HD recorder that will do what it does, but I'm sure there are others. We're happy with ours and it sure beats paying for blank VHS tapes LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
chartrand

X2 on Tivo. Record lots of content, the unplug and move to your RV and plug in with HDMI. Or.... If you high speed internet at your campsite, it would have to be really good though.... Then you could learn the Tivo at home and use a Tivo Stream in your come and connect to it ove the Internet. Then you can watch anything on your TiVo, and even watch live tv (or the big game) just by telling it to record. It's simple and pretty cool.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
MarkS

This is probably too geeky for most people but:

I use a Windows 7 computer running Windows Media Center. It connects to a Silicon Dust box that, in my case, connects to cable. They also make boxes that will record from over the air. I use the program guide in Media Center to select which programs I want to record. Media Center automatically records them. A software package, MCEBuddy, automatically cuts out the commercials and re-encodes the programs as .mp4 files. I can copy the files to a flash drive, or my laptop to play on the Trailer TV. I can also play the files on my laptop or tablet.

If you have a Win 7 or 8 laptop laying around, you can do all this for around a hundred bucks. No monthly Tivo fees. Does require a internet connection to download the program guide, but so does Tivo.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote