Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
chuckretnav

Gas station

Hi everyone, does anyone out their happen to know the clearence on the canopy at gas stations. I can't find the clearence marker on them. I plan to use mostly truck stops but the gas side. I might have to drive into the truck side park the trailer go around get gas and then rehook. Any suggestions out thier? Thank You
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not sure, but I think anything under 14' must be marked as are bridges and overpasses.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
chuckretnav

Thanks Hank that sounds right Ive spent a lot of years driving 18 wheeler but never had to worry about the gas side. Maybe someone can get a firm on your response. I tryed calling a couple in town here and the response was duh don't know LOL
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
campingcpl

I used to deliver motor homes,buss's,trucks, etc. and have never really ran into any problems with the gas station canopies. The ones I would watch out for are the older mom & pop type stations. Some of them can cause problems not only with the clearance but with having enough room to get in and out of. Most of your modern stations will have the 14' clearance just for that purpuse of being able to get larger gas vehicals into them.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
chuckretnav

Smile Gas Station

Camping couple thanks for the come back. Just concerned have a 2nd a/c on trl and now its 13' so Ill be brave. thank you
Old 10-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckretnav View Post
Hi everyone, does anyone out their happen to know the clearence on the canopy at gas stations. I can't find the clearence marker on them. I plan to use mostly truck stops but the gas side. I might have to drive into the truck side park the trailer go around get gas and then rehook. Any suggestions out thier? Thank You

There are two publications, one called "The RV'S Friend". This list filling stations on the interstate system and filling stations at the exits that are RV friendly. The other one is called the "Next Exit".
These have helped me in planning my fuel stops and rest stops along the way as we travel. My DW really likes the Next Exit over the RV's Friend. These should help you in finding filling stations for you to fill up in.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
chuckretnav

Jim, thank you for the info. Looking at that book now on the internet. Looks like almost the same kind of book I used when I was driving truck. The truck stop directory. Only this one is taylored for the RV. My fifth wheel was 12' but now Its 13' we put that second A/C for the bedroom and of course that the high point. Thank you for your helpp
Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
nfd421

dont end up like this guy

http://youtu.be/GtiI7GyrHuw
nfd421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
hankaye

chuckretnav, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckretnav View Post
If you mostly plan on the Truckstops then they "Generally" have enough clearance. Some of the one's have the seperate RV pumps and (been awhile), I believe that they have gas at those pumps as well. If you have to go under the canopy also be sure to check the amount of room between the front of the pump and the nearest obsticle. I'd hate to have to 'back-out' of some of them...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
KenBob

If you have a diesel, you can use the commercial truck filling lanes. No worries about clearances, lots of room to maneuver, the pumps fill fast. The only drawback is not being able to pay at the pump (from my experiences). The RV lanes at some truck stops are not real RV friendly for fueling or dumping. Our local Flying J is a good example.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote