Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
jujustad

power switch for ceiling lights

Hi,
Could someone tell me what the reasoning is behind having some of the ceiling lights controlled by a switch on the control panel? I have a light very close to my kitchen vent and would like to use it to power a MaxxAir fan but it is one of the lights that is powered through the panel. Doesn't that mean that if I tap into the power from that light the switch on the control panel will need to be on? It seems that wouldn't be the best thing if we're dry camping. Am I correct?
Thanks!
Julie
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Jim & DJ

Our ceiling lights are controled by the wall switch and also each light has a built in slide switch.
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Bob Landry

I don't know what trailer you have or what your layout is, but when I replaced the kitchen roof vent with a Fantastic Fan, I was able to snake wires from the opening to the wall behind the microwave. The wiring for the 12V cabinet lighting was there and I was able to tap into it for the fan. That gives me 12V hot for the fan all the time without having to turn on a light.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
Dave in Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I don't know what trailer you have or what your layout is, but when I replaced the kitchen roof vent with a Fantastic Fan, I was able to snake wires from the opening to the wall behind the microwave. The wiring for the 12V cabinet lighting was there and I was able to tap into it for the fan. That gives me 12V hot for the fan all the time without having to turn on a light.
With ours, using the converter was the easier option. It had an empty circuit, so I snaked wires up thru the pantry to the vent.

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujustad View Post
Hi,
Could someone tell me what the reasoning is behind having some of the ceiling lights controlled by a switch on the control panel? I have a light very close to my kitchen vent and would like to use it to power a MaxxAir fan but it is one of the lights that is powered through the panel. Doesn't that mean that if I tap into the power from that light the switch on the control panel will need to be on? It seems that wouldn't be the best thing if we're dry camping. Am I correct?
Thanks!
Julie
Not knowing the layout, I can't explain the reasoning. I know with one trailer we had, the cabinet with the power center was just inside the front door (such that you could access it without fully entering the trailer), so having the light switches in the same cabinet kinda, sorta, made sense.

Yes, if you tap into a light that is controlled by a switch, that switch will need to be on in order to run the fan. Depending on the layout, it may be better to snake some 12V wiring through the roof to your 12V fuse box.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
jujustad

Thanks everyone. The control panel is right inside the door so I guess that makes a little sense for turning on the lights. I guess I can hope that when I take out the kitchen vent there will be 12 volt wire, that is not switched, just waiting for me
I have a Cougar 24RKS and I have tried to figure out how to get that on my profile so answers to questions could be more model specific...sorry
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujustad View Post
I have a Cougar 24RKS and I have tried to figure out how to get that on my profile so answers to questions could be more model specific...sorry
Towards the top left of any page on the forum, click on "User CP". Then, click on "Edit Signature". Anything you put in the signature box will then display on the bottom of future posts (but not previous posts you have made).
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
jujustad

thanks Dirt33...I put my info in so here's hoping that it worked