Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
onlineio

Angry Propane flow is not working

Hi Guys,

I see some members has really good knowledge however I was unable to find the solution in the forum or may be I am not looking at right place.

I Just purchased a Keystone Bobcat 1999 and noticed that Propane system is not working at all. based on the previous threads I have done the following investigation.

1. check the flow at regulator, [working]
2. Check the brass pipes under the RV from regulator to the last point where it goes into the RV (under the Refrigerator) , pipes are clean and Propane flow at that point is fine.
3. After opening the joints I try to blow in (and out) to the pipes going inside RV and they are like shutdown, all three of them.
One is going to heater; at back of shower, one is in the refrigerator (and stove? since it is on top of refrigerator), one (I guess) to the heater near door.

4. I put a double sided quick connect in stove's propane port (after opening the propane joint) and try to blow it but it seem that it is closed; same results at the outside propane port.

Before I go crazy and pull the refrigerator out and start pulling every thing that I see , any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
onlineio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Jim & DJ

This might sound dumb. but is the tank or tanks FULL ?
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
onlineio

Angry

I think I made it clear that it is working after the regulator, Yes, both are full, I can smell and hear the lp if I open the T-Joint under the RV at distribution Junction. problem is after that and strange enough to all three appliances are blocked.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Gas flow from the output of the regulator into the gas line all the way to each appliance input is simply a straight open line. There are no "hidden valves, electro-mechanical valves or added flow restrictors. If you have gas flowing into the front of the "underbelly 1/2" black iron pipe, then you "have to have" gas flow at the other end. So, I'd check once again that you actually do have gas flow at the regulator. (Nothing in/nothing out)

The only exception to the above is the "shut off" valve on the exterior grill/outdoor kitchen connection for the flex hose. On most of those connections there is a manual shut off valve manufactured into the quick disconnect to prevent leakage. Otherwise, there are none.

If you do have gas flow into the 1/2" black iron pipe, then chances are you've just got air in the line and it hasn't fully purged itself so the appliances aren't working. Try lighting a stove burner??

Of course, you're working on a 1999 model, there is a possibility that the previous owner modified the system and then "all bets are off"... The above description is based on the factory installation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
onlineio

Angry

Some photos

Outside port No propane

Lp Connections Under RV
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
onlineio

Thank you for reply John, on both ports; Stove and outside port no flow at all, no air or LP is coming out, if you look at the photo in the thread above; you can see that shut off value is open all the way and noting is coming out of the pipe. if I try to blow in the pipe it seems that it is shut off (or something)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
GaryWT

Here is what I would try, shut down tanks and disconnect at tank. Reconnect and turn tanks on. Go to stove top as that is the easiest place to light and turn on burner to light it. Might have to try once or twice while system purges. Once you get gas at that point, then try the other appliances. If they are not turned on then the valve would be closed so they would appear blocked. If you get the stove to light, the other appliances should light within in three clicks. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlineio View Post
Thank you for reply John, on both ports; Stove and outside port no flow at all, no air or LP is coming out, if you look at the photo in the thread above; you can see that shut off value is open all the way and noting is coming out of the pipe. if I try to blow in the pipe it seems that it is shut off (or something)
Hmmmm, If you disconnect the flex hose from the regulator at the union with the black iron pipe, and then disconnect one appliance, can you "back blow" air through the system from the appliance and out the front of the black iron pipe?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
onlineio

Angry

Thank you guys for suggestion, here is response

GaryWT : nop, no flow to stove at all.

Johan: Answer is no, if I took out the joint after regulator (at that point it supposed to be a empty line) I cannot blow back into it from Stove or from the outside Lp port for which I posted the photo.

one Thing I'll try later this afternoon is to disconnect both T-Joints underneath and try to blow back from ports to see if I get anything.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
hankaye

onlineio, Howdy;

Did you buy this RV from a dealer or a private party?
If from a dealer, did you have them show you that the separate
items that require propane work? If you acquired it from a
Private Party, did you have them do the same?
Can you contact the place/person you bought it from and
ask them why the propane system may not be working ...
Did someone install something into the system to secure it
for storage or other reasons???
If you bought it from a dealer I'd ask them to re-check the
propane system and fix it.
Only the things I'd think of to do and would do prior to tearing into
something like that.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

ARE THOSE FLEX HOSES RUBBER? F THEY ARE THEINNER WALL MAY HAVE COLLAPSED AND IT BLOCKING THE FLOW.I CAN'T TELL FROM THE PICTURES AND SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS NOT YELLING I promess
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
onlineio

Thumbs up

John, hankaye, SAABDOCTOR thank you all for reply, and reply fast, this forum is more help then I got in a week from calling people (including Keystone help )

Finally I figured it out the issue, the noels of my quick connect ; that I bought from a RV dealer is not long enough to push the valve inside the quickconnect port. @#$@#$%@, how I figured it out?, after reading to John's suggestion when he said that there is no electric switch etc. after regulator....

so I opened both ends of the brass pipe at T-Junction at bottom of RC and then removed the quick connect port from inside RV; sure enough there is a free air flow from top to bottom, then I put the brass connection back to T-junction and open the tank a little bit while keeping the pipe open without quickconnect port value installed, I can smell and here the lp flow immediately, I closed the tank and then inspect the hose attached to quciconnect port (that was in my hand) and even then I was unable to blow into it

problem solved,

Thank you guys, you all Rock!!!!

Tags
furnace, heater, propane, repairs