Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
rickcop44

Issue With Slide Out

My wife and I went to a spring RV show and fell in love with the Laredo 294RK and ordered one. When it arrived two months later and I got it home, I set it up, leveled it and started to learn the trailer. First thing I noticed was that the living area slide out did not extend fully. It stopped about two inches short - enough that the pantry doors next to the fridge can only be opened about 2/3 of the way. I took the RV to the dealer I purchased it from to look at. After two days, they called and said they couldn't see any issues and that it extended all the way out. I respectfully disagreed and they said they'd look at it again. Two days later, they called to explain that Keystone makes two different types of slide out mechanisms. One operates on a motor and cable system and the other is the ram jet system. Ours has the cable system and he said the motor sits on top the slide out and the slide out stops when a switch on the motor makes contact with the trailer wall above. This made no sense to me - I mean I understand what he was telling me, but why would Keystone make a trailer with a slide out that partially blocks cupboard doors when extended? Was the guy at the RV dealership telling me straight - that there are two different slide out mechanisms, or was he giving me a line of guff? Thanks folks!
rickcop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Some slides operate using a hydraulic system, some use a pulley mechanism and others use a rack and pinion type. Whatever system is used, the slide should extend the full amount and not obstruct the opening of cupboard doors or drawers. It makes no sense at all to have a slide that doesn't allow you to fully open all doors and drawers. Having said that, there are a lot of things in the construction and assembly of an RV that don't make a lot of sense. It could very well be the case in your RV.

I'm not familiar with the floor plan of that particular model other than it is a rear kitchen. Knowing what year it is would help me find the floor plan and the pantry you are speaking about. Get back to us with the year of the Laredo - that might help us visualize your issue.

Edit: I've looked at the floor plan of a 2014 Laredo 294RK and the pantry is located in the corner - right next to the slide out.
I could see where it is possible that the pantry door may not be able to be fully opened when the slide is extended. It's hard to tell from the diagram but it looks possible. I am thinking that the door handle is on the left - as you face the pantry - and it swings out towards the back side of the slide out.

When you extend the slide, does the top of the slide out meet the upper part of the side of the RV - are they quite close together or is there a large space - like 2 inches or more - between the slide valance and the RV wall? You said that you would need the slide to go out another 2 inches or so before you could completely open the pantry door.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Sduff

This is a discussion in our Community Forum for the Laredo 294RK Evidently the left entertainment door experiences the same problem. One of the members is working with the dealership and Keystone to resolve this issue.

I want to extend a personal invitation to you. Please join the Laredo 294RK Social Group found in the Community Drop Down. We would look forward to your pictures and posts and helpful input on your experiences with this TT.

Please join us...

Steve
USAF Retired '96
Land of Lincoln

2013 Laredo 294RK
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 (max tow package)
2013 Passport 2890RL (2003 Chevy Silverado LS ext cab)
1968 King Camper Popup
2008 Honda GoldWing/pulling a Aluma MCTXL cargo trailer
Sduff is offline   Reply With Quote