Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Cyberian

"Entry Level"

Our previous TT was an early '70s Red Dale ~17ft. Built like a tank, pulled like one too.

Our new to us TT is an '11 Summerland 2560RL. I've noticed the Summerland line referred to as "entry level" fairly often but compared to our old Red Dale, this thing is the Taj Mahal.

Ducted AC, DSI ducted furnace, DSI water heater, power awning, I'm getting spoiled!

Is this fairly common or did we get lucky and buy a well equipped unit?
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

My first TT was a Red Dale 16 ft? 70s something. RVs have come along way since than. I think if my old trailer has been taken care of and not leaked, it would still make a good used rv. Remember when power windows, auto trannys in cars were special and now normal, same with rvs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Bluewater

It appears you have a well optioned unit. Good buy. Welcome to the forum.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Cyberian -
The features that you described as being "decadent" are pretty much standard on all late-model RV's. Compared to older RV's, today's versions have a lot of desirable creature comforts that were once considered luxurious.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your own Taj Mahal.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
KanTC

Cyberian, and congrats on your new-to-you Summerland.
Amazing, isn't it?... how campers (of year's passed) have now transformed into today's RV's

Summerland is a branch of the Springdale line, and some of the items you mentioned were standard features on the 2011, and others likely part of a (forced?) "Options Pkg".
Here's some brochures which might be helpful, although Keystone doesn't have a 2011 brochure in their archives... you may find it online somewhere.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3251...ochure2010.pdf

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3251...t_Brochure.pdf

Have fun, enjoy & happy trails,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Cyberian

We're genuinely smitten with it so far. It's not big by any means, but my diesel Dodge pulls it with little effort and it has a cargo weight capacity that we'll never meet.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
cabinfever

We were new to TT's last year. Our 2013 Springdale also impressed us with being entry level. Very nice interior, with all the creature comforts, along with the outside kitchen. Then the power awning, stabilizers, and tongue jack make getting set up a breeze. Enjoy the Summerland!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
Our previous TT was an early '70s Red Dale ~17ft. Built like a tank, pulled like one too.

Our new to us TT is an '11 Summerland 2560RL. I've noticed the Summerland line referred to as "entry level" fairly often but compared to our old Red Dale, this thing is the Taj Mahal.

Ducted AC, DSI ducted furnace, DSI water heater, power awning, I'm getting spoiled!

Is this fairly common or did we get lucky and buy a well equipped unit?
As others have said, yes, most of those are pretty standard options. All of the items you have listed ducted AC / furnace, DSI water heater, power awning are "core" functions and in most cases part of the base structure for all of the models in a given line (like the frame, engine, transmission, etc... in a car). What separates entry level from luxury model are the bells and whistles they put on top.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Andymon

We have been very pleased with our 08 Springdale. Everything works great. My only concern are the poor quality of the drawers and drawer guides. I'll probably replace them at some point.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
Cyberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymon View Post
My only concern are the poor quality of the drawers and drawer guides. I'll probably replace them at some point.
Heh, you said "drawers". We didn't have any. My wife insisted on a little counter space, and we got that, but not a single drawer anywhere in the trailer. She had a little oak kitchen cart that with the wheels off, just fits under the counter wing. I had to make new sides to the drawer in it to deepen it 1/2" to hold a Camco silverware tray, but we got a drawer now.

As a bonus, the cart just barely blocks opening the little fold-out couch. One extra bed down. I might gut the settee and swap it to table and chairs to eliminate the other extra bed next but I need more weight on that side so we'll see.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
fla-gypsy

Don't get hung up on tags some people place on others. If it fits your needs and budget then it is perfect for you. I have been using what some would call "entry level" for 8+ years and it has been a great unit and it is made as good as anything else I have seen. Most of the differences in RV's are all fluff for the most part, within the same construction regimens.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
theeyres

I think descriptions like "entry level" should disappear. It really is misleading. It's sort of like saying a Chevy is an entry level car while a Caddy is normal or fancy entry car. It doesn't make sense. Far more people own Chevy's for their whole life and don't feel like they are driving entry level cars. They just aren't as fancy, don't have as many bells and whistles, etc. Summerlands, Springdales, Hideouts are all great trailers. When some people want to full-time they may want rigs with more storage, higher level furniture, corian instead of formica, etc....but that doesn't mean our rigs are any less functional and appropriate for our use.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote