Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Berg570FE

2010 Cougar 26ft Furnace, AGAIN!

We bought our 2010 Cougar 26ft bumper pull trailer new in '10. We love the trailer, and it has proven to hold up very well.

That being said, a "relay" switch has now gone out on the furnace YET again. This is the third time now. Furnace blower turns on, system wont even try to ignite. Turns itself off after 15 seconds or so. Dealer fixed each time.

What the hec is going on? The service department says its "a poor design", fine, but im extremely irritated this time.

Is there something I can suggest for them to do to upgrade, or improve this piece?

Thank you for your thoughts and time.
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you have a Suburban furnace, try calling their customer service department and explaining to them the problem and the steps that you have taken to get it solved.

Suburban furnaces are commonly found in RV's and the "poor design" may be another way of saying, "Sorry, we are unable to find the problem and can't fix it."

Try phoning this number: (423) 775-2131, Ext 7101. There may be a toll free number listed in your furnace owner's manual.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is an aftermarket control board available for that furnace. DINOSAUR ELECTRONICS builds a replacement that is much heavier duty and better sealed from the elements.

We had a problem with the refrigerator control board on our Holiday Rambler. I replaced 3 or 4 Dometic control boards during the 1 year warranty, finally in frustration I went to another repair shop and they sold me a Dinosaur board. He told me that if I ever had an issue, bring it back and he'd replace it free. We had that refrigerator with that board in it for 5 years and when we sold the trailer it was still working great.

What you'd need is listed in the "Ignitor Boards" section.

Here's the link: http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Berg570FE

Well, I took it into the shop again. I don't have time to dig into myself, as we are headed out on a camping trip this weekend, and I have a company to run.

The technician said he WILL figure out why this unit keeps going out.

I mentioned the Dinosaur Electronics to him, and will overnight the part if he thinks it is needed.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Berg570FE

The furnace unit itself was installed ON TOP of the power wire. With just the right amount of shaking from travel, it was shorting out, thus blowing the relay. The fuse blew once, in hind sight.

Camping out in the desert this weekend, first trip of the season! Pics to come!