Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
ed cobos

electrical water heater

my tt (keystone hideout) is at the dealership because after our last trip the electrical water heater didn't work - the gas did though. when we brought it in, the service manager said that we needed to turn off both the switch inside the trailer and the one out side in the heater compartment to avoid burning out the element, just asking if this is true. we had no problem with this for over a year using the electric, so it sounded strange to me.
thanks
ed cobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed cobos View Post
my tt (keystone hideout) is at the dealership because after our last trip the electrical water heater didn't work - the gas did though. when we brought it in, the service manager said that we needed to turn off both the switch inside the trailer and the one out side in the heater compartment to avoid burning out the element, just asking if this is true. we had no problem with this for over a year using the electric, so it sounded strange to me.
thanks
Ed -
The small, black rocker switch found in the outside heater access panel should be turned OFF when there is no water in the tank. This is to avoid accidentally turning on shore power and burning out the heating element. If there is water in the tank, the outside electrical switch does not have to be turned OFF.

On our unit, the HW interior switch is only to light the GAS component of the HW tank. There is only one switch for propane heating of the tank .

If you wish, both electricity and propane can be used at the same time to heat the water. This allows for faster heating when the shower will be used for " a crowd of teenagers".

The service manager's advice would only make sense if there was no water in the tank.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
ed cobos

water heater

thanks Festus - live and try to learn. we almost always use the electric, but we do have two switches one for gas and one for electric inside the unit. BYT how do you like your 5th wheel and would you recommend it for full timing? just wife and small dog.
ed cobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
thanks Festus
BYT how do you like your 5th wheel and would you recommend it for full timing? just wife and small dog.
Ed -
While we thoroughly enjoy our Cougar 5th wheel for holidaying, camping and travelling, we would probably not recommend it for full-time use. After awhile, I think it would start to "shrink". If I were to consider full-timing, I think I'd be looking at something larger and with more room to swing a cat ...if I had one.

In relation to many RV's out there now, ours might be considered on the "small side".
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
hankaye

Howdy to you both;

thanks Festus
BYT how do you like your 5th wheel and would you recommend it for full timing? just wife and small dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Ed -
While we thoroughly enjoy our Cougar 5th wheel for holidaying, camping and travelling, we would probably not recommend it for full-time use. After awhile, I think it would start to "shrink". If I were to consider full-timing, I think I'd be looking at something larger and with more room to swing a cat ...if I had one.

In relation to many RV's out there now, ours might be considered on the "small side".
I have the same model as Festus and DO fulltime in it. However, it is just
myself and the pooch (Rascal), I'm not claustrophobic and that is a plus.
My needs and wants are not very complex and if they were then I'd get
something larger. Were there someone else to share to confines with then
again ... I'd get something larger. Just depends on how much or little elbow-
room one is comfortable with...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

ed cobos I have a two switch hot water heater. the small one out side gets turned on after I make sure there is water in the tank. I turn the inside one one when i am getting ready to do dishes and take a shower. when the dw and I use the shower I turn the gas on also. then turn them off to conserve propane and elec. but as long as you have water in the tank you will not burn out the element. As far as full timing we can do it nicely in our unit with two big dogs. alyeska is a 120 lbs. Susitna is 65 lbs. Hoping soon for that less complicated life!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
mobile42

Does anyone ever shut the 120V breaker off (fuse panel inside) to the water heater just in case for added protection from burning the element? Just my thought. I've gotten into the habit of doing that because I have damaged an element once and will only be ONCE from an empty tank.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile42 View Post
Does anyone ever shut the 120V breaker off (fuse panel inside) to the water heater just in case for added protection from burning the element? Just my thought. I've gotten into the habit of doing that because I have damaged an element once and will only be ONCE from an empty tank.
I also have two ways off shutting off the electric side of my water heater. One is the switch outside on the actual water heater which I only shut off before I drain the tank to ensure it is not turned on from inside. Then when I refill it I turn the switch back on.

I have only the 120VAC circuit breaker inside the coach (no switch) which I use to turn the electric side either on or off as needed. For fast recovery I generally have the electric and propane portion going when needed
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile42 View Post
i do this whenever i drain the hw heater as insurance
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
mobile42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
i do this whenever i drain the hw heater as insurance
I agree with you B&T. Added insurance for sure!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
mobile42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
I also have two ways off shutting off the electric side of my water heater. One is the switch outside on the actual water heater which I only shut off before I drain the tank to ensure it is not turned on from inside. Then when I refill it I turn the switch back on.

I have only the 120VAC circuit breaker inside the coach (no switch) which I use to turn the electric side either on or off as needed. For fast recovery I generally have the electric and propane portion going when needed
It's all of these added precautionary steps we take to enjoy our rigs!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

FYI.... Using the breaker in your power panel as a "switch" to turn on/off the hot water heater will eventually lead to the breaker's failure (or more likely, the weakening - causing nuisance trips).

Breakers are not "switch rated".... They do make switch rated breakers, and they cost more. I'm not even sure if there are any switch rated breakers that would fit our distribution panels... hmm...

In any case, it would be VERY easy to simply add a household light switch near the panel if you wish the convenience.

Just offering this as food for thought.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
FYI.... Using the breaker in your power panel as a "switch" to turn on/off the hot water heater will eventually lead to the breaker's failure (or more likely, the weakening - causing nuisance trips).

Breakers are not "switch rated".... They do make switch rated breakers, and they cost more. I'm not even sure if there are any switch rated breakers that would fit our distribution panels... hmm...

In any case, it would be VERY easy to simply add a household light switch near the panel if you wish the convenience.

SAD, I see your point and that of the designer (Keystone). Agree should not use breakers as on/off switches, however you do not turn water heaters on and off like lights. In a Raptor we have a 12 gallon hot water tank with the option of heating the water with propane, electric, or both. On the electric portion we have two ways of turning off the electricity to the tank. A switch located outside on the actual tank or a 120VAC circuit breaker in the main power panel. With the 12 gallon tank to date have never had an issue with hot water. I think on one occasion when I thought it may be an issue I turned on the propane and electric to ensure a faster recovery. As I think about it can not even remember what single mode of heating I use, probably when connected to shore power its electric since breaker is on and I do not shut if off. Without thinking after I set up and need hot water it is there whereas on the propane side I would need to ignite the propane portion from the separate switch in side on the control panel. With a Raptor would not be easy or look good to install a switch in that area mostly cabinets. Unless you put it inside one of the cabinets.

I would say in a two year period 100 days camping I have switched that breaker 3 or 4 times. If I were the designer not sure I would have installed a separate switch for the electric portion of the water heater given the configuration of the Raptor Just my 2 cents.

Just want this snow to go away and warm up!!! Just heard forecast another snow storm heading this way for Wednesday. Oh Boy
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
mobile42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post

SAD,
I don't use my breaker as the on/off switch for prolonged repetitive manual breaking. I too have the rocker switch at the water heater and also at the control panel (the DSI switch in the hallway and that's the prefered method when RV'ing). My method of flipping the breaker to the off position is just my peace of mind because I know there is no "Juice" (when connected to Shore Power) running to the element when I have a empty WH tank (I drain my tank after every trip has ended and parked at my home). Like I mentioned earlier, I've had to replace an element and it will never happen again. Yes, generally a breaker can wear (especially a non-switch type) or when you have a continuous draw on a breaker or a heavy load on and off, on a breaker for an extended time (I'm talking years, assuming the breaker wasn't defective from the get go).

Old 03-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
jaysss111

Unhappy Electric blows 12v control circuit for gas/ electric

off of the remote switch on my 2013 new Silverdale trying to turn on the electric water heater blows 15amp 12vdc fuse, found that the wire going to the control board across to the other side of the trailer was going to ground, tried to get MFG and Dealer to fix and is still under warranty but I got the Run-Around-Randy . So I put an aluminated remote switch and found ground to light the switch lamp and used the 12vdc off of the cigarette lighter to have the 12vdc for the control board, Unplugged the bad wire off of the bad remote switch circuit, now the electric and gas water heater works just fine now. Jim
jaysss111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
Sophia1965

Water heater dilemma for a newbie . . . kinda

I'm having problems with my water heater. I don't know what has happened. It worked for the last year and three months now all of a sudden nothing electric or gas will make water for me. When we drained the tank this winter, the dealer turned off the outside switch. I forgot about that, so I turned that back on, after they reminded me. I still cannot get anything to make hot water. Can any one help me trouble shoot?
Sophia1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a bypass 1/4 turn valve located on the back of the hot water heater. It must be turned to "bypass" to winterize the heater and then, in the spring, it must be turned to "normal" to fill the hot water heater with cold water so it can then be heated by the electric or the gas function. I'd think that you failed to turn that valve to "normal" so there is no water flowing into the hot water heater to be heated. If, as you say, you turned on the electric switch on the outside of the water heater, you probably have burned out your electric element and it will need to be replaced.

Open the outer hot water heater access door, make sure the anode rod is installed, then access the back of your hot water heater, along the lower part you'll find a plumbing input. There will be a 1/4 turn valve located there. Turn it to "normal" (it will only turn 1/4 turn in one direction) and you should hear water flowing into the water heater. When it is full, open the hot water taps to purge all air from the system, then turn on the gas function. You should get warmer water in a few minutes and it should be hot in about 15 minutes or so. I'm afraid the electric component part will not function until the heating element is replaced.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote