Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
dougjoliefrey

Power vent 12VDC

I'm purchasing a new Bullet 308BHS and I've read that many folks add a power vent fan to exhaust the Stove fumes since the oven vent doesn't go outside. My question is where is the best place to pick up 12VDC? Do I need to get poer from the ceiling light or is it available somewhere in the ceiling next to the vent so I could pull wires from there?
dougjoliefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
scotty1946

I bought a fan replacement kit from Camping World for about $40. It fits inside an existing vent. Do not have to disturb the outside parts of the vent or break the weather seal. It was little awkward to install. Ran power from a nearby ceiling light. The lights have to be powered on but I figured if I was inside, I would have the lights on anyway. It is about three feet from the stove and seems to work fine. I read that I could also use it to vent the entire trailer on those nights it is too cool to use the air conditioner but still a little stuffy.
scotty1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
B&T

maybe you can fish a wire down to the useless stove vent fan switch and use it to power your vent
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
MIKEPATC

Fan-Tastic Vent Fan

I installed a Fan-Tastic Vent Fan to replace a plain old vent in the Kitchen. Best thing I have ever done. Got the 12 VDC power from a light over the sink.
Ceiling lights are usually switched on and off at a control panel. The one over the sink has constant 12VDC. I ran the wire thru the upper cabinet and then into the ceiling. From there it was a straight shot to the fan.
This year (when the snow goes away) I will do the same in the bathroom.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
robo

could do this

robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
WaltBennett

You all saying that the vent fan over your stoves does not vent outside the trailer? Have you made certain that there isn't a vent on the outside wall? If there is, check to see if there are little plastic tabs holding the flapper shut - had that happen to me more than once. If there isn't a vent on your outside wall, I guess they're saving costs in ways that don't make any sense.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
You all saying that the vent fan over your stoves does not vent outside the trailer? Have you made certain that there isn't a vent on the outside wall? If there is, check to see if there are little plastic tabs holding the flapper shut - had that happen to me more than once. If there isn't a vent on your outside wall, I guess they're saving costs in ways that don't make any sense.
Unfortunately that is what they are saying and it is not that uncommon in some units to find that the stove has its own "internal" venting system and not at all connected to the outside. Because of this "new feature" many members are having to work around this and install either a Fantastic Fan or a kit to compensate for this design flaw by Keystone and others.

And yes, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
dougjoliefrey

Great video. Thanks.
dougjoliefrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, vent