Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Geoffwhite18

Thetford toilet problems

My wife and I have been living in our 2010 Keystone Montana for almost three years now and the toilet has decided to crap out. He he. But seriously the flush handle just falls off and I don't see that putting a new one on will solve the problem since it's a design flaw anyway. Has anyone come across a permanent fix for this? I can't be the only one that's seen this. I'm not full of that much crap..

Geoffwhite18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Geoffwhite18

No ideas? I have one so I guess we'll see what happens. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Steve S

Why is it falling off, is it screwed on or glued on? Did it break or just slide off? Some details would help.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
bobbecky

Had the pedal blow off one late night when my better half flushed. Replaced the pedal a week later and it worked OK for 6 months. The pedal started getting a bit sticky, not wanting to return fully. Decided it was time to get rid of this piece of junk, and installed a Dometic 310. Best upgrade we have done yet. Took all of 15 minutes to replace, as the water supply hose reached the fitting on the new unit without modifying. So, my suggestion is, toss it and get something more reliable.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Geoffwhite18

Thanks for the reply Bobbybeck. I might have to look into ditching this thing.

The peddle comes off because it's held on with plastic detents. You push it on and it snaps into place. Every time you flush the toilet it wears on the detents and eventually wears out, and the peddle falls off. Poor design. If you have this toilet you WILL eventually have this problem. Not to mention, as you can see in my picture the water valve is leaking and has done so from day 1!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Geoffwhite18

Well I got the arm back on. I just used a screw that extended past the inside of the arm by about 3/16" and just screwed it in. So far so good but I'm not sure how long its going to last. I also used some lithium grease on the moving parts.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
bobbecky

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where the screw attaches inside the toilet. The screw would have to be about three inches long to attach beyond the end of the hollow tube of the pedal, and then the head end of the screw would have to be loose so as to allow the pedal to operate during the up and down operation. On top of all that, it is possible the point of the screw would penetrate the waste area of the toilet, so the life of the screw, unless it was stainless steel, would corrode in short order.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Geoffwhite18

Yes the screw is about 3", is zinc coated, has a smooth head with lithium grease, and does not penetrate into the waste area. There isn't much room, but there are two plastic layers inside the pedestal. A white outer layer, and a black inner layer. The only problem is there isn't much room, so there isn't much for the screw to grab onto. We'll see how long it lasts.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
Wing-in-it

doesn't anyone notice that it leaks too? The floor looks like it's going to turn to mush!

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Geoffwhite18

Yes the water valve leaks. It's done that from the first day we used it. It only drips maybe one drop per day or less, so the water dries before it can get past the cheap lanolium.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #11
Smitty43

Mine did the same thing. I replace the toilet and now every once in a while I tighten the screw. My thinking is that the unit is well designed if the screw is tight, but if it loosens up a little then the slop in the action results in broken pieces.--Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote