Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Firestorm

Cable frayed then broke

On our cougar Highcountry 299 rks 2012, Main slide
When prepping for winter storage, when I went to pull in it seemed a little binding.Noticed the lower cable right side from inside was fraying, Had a bit to go to close totally, as I moved it the cable broke, I did get it to close all the way.
Now I have to repair this winter or wait till spring. My questions are.Can I buy part? where?. Have a dealer string it through. Or do it myself, Does not look that tough to do. take off the trim and expose pulleys. I suppose I would need a schematic for tension issues
Any advise here
Thanks guys/gals
B Peterson
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Check your stack of paperwork that came with your trailer. I think you have a BAL Acu-slide mechanism. If you do you can find the manual HERE. I hope this helps, Hank .................... The CABLE KITS are available on-line also
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Firestorm

Thank you, dosn't look like its to hard to do
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Thank you, dosn't look like its to hard to do
Be sure you have the right tools and good luck ..... let us know how you make out. It may help someone else.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Firestorm

Can anyone explain what may have caused it or does it happen from time to time
Old 11-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Ron

What location did the cable frey, near the end or somewhere else?
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Firestorm

Hard to say, I noticed fraying main bump lower right inside, looked like it started at the pulleys going up and pulled to the inside bracket, was really thin, It was going slow in and kinda grinding, .I noticed it almost stowed, had to close it and when I did it broke ,but did close fine I wonder if it jumped a pulley
Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Ron

Sure could of jumped a pulley I guess, but I thought there was a guard to prevent that, some of the frayed cables have been also due to frame flex, we have had that problems, x2. Usually on the shorter, lighter trailers that is not an issue though. Our trailer is at a Keystone plant in Oregon ready for pickup this week, was worked on again under warranty. Usually the cable freys near the end if you have a flex issue, the slide frame rubs against the cable when the slide is in and hooked up traveling down the road....

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
Firestorm

Thanks for your your input, actually it was frayed at the bracket mount on the inside lower right , only a couple strands were holding like I said I had to stow to haul so when I retracted it broke ,but did seal good, what I noticed was when I was stowing it the right side was shattering a bit with some binding noise, that's when I stopped and looked and found the fraying WTH Gotta try to fix it myself, dealers always busy and what im understanding it dosnt look that hard to string a new one in. I have a extended warranty with a 100 dollar deductible, Dealer I bet would want 500 or 600 dollars for the repair which is fine but I can get the cable kit for 22 and do it myself and trailer dosnt have to sit at the dealer for a month
I have to try anyway. just was curious as to what caused it to prevent it again, should they be adjusted alot as the cables stretch, Im still learning after years of travel
Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
kandd

Do these cables need to be retentioned periodically? And do all units use the same diameter cables? Thanks

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2
kandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Ron

The cables are made of stainless steel, yes they will stretch a little over time and need some adjustment, depending how much you use your slides of course. Let us know how you do on the restring, some folks I know have done it themselves with no problems, good luck im sure you will not have a problem...

Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Firestorm

Thank you SIR
Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
eddarde

If you can see the end of the cable you can feed the new one without much problem, if the cable is sucked into the pulley assembly plan on several hours of messing with it. replacement kits are available,
eddarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Quiroule

Here is a link to the cable replacement training video.

Good luck.

http://www.norcoind.com/bal/downloads/video/index.htm

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote