Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Sicapo

Tires not in contact with asphalt during winter?

Some people told me that, for the winter period, I should park my RV so that the tires are on a wooden surface instead of directly on the asphalt. I saw this setup on some dealer park but I wonder why? My car's tires are always on contact with the asphalt. Isn't that what tires are made for? I understand that the RV won't move for an extended period of time, so is this to protect the pavement from digging-in or is it harmful to the tires?

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
davidjsimons

Tires not in contact with asphalt during winter?

It is my understanding that this allows the tire to not hold moisture, which prevents the cords from rusting inside the rubber.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Moisture is the problem for tires sitting in one place for months on end on hard surfaces. Eventually the water will permeate into the tire casing. When it makes contact with the steel serious damage will follow.

I store my trailer as level as possible from side to side and fore and aft. The storage area I use is graded for drainage so my leveling blocks are thicker on the low side to off- set the grade. I cut a 45 degree angle in the 2" blocks to avoid driving up on sharp 90 degree angles. Here are a couple of pictures of my blocked trailer. I get the wood from building sites. I ask the foreman. I've never been turned down.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19381
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=16759

FastEagle
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

My pad is level so I just use two 2' x 4' x ½" pressure treated plywood, one for each side. I bought them pre-cut from a home store.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
DieselMatt

Why wood though? Is it because the wood will soak up the water? IF that is the answer, then parking in grass shouldn't be a problem because the grass and dirt will absorb the water, correct?

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

What is the difference between letting the tires rest on (a) wet asphalt/concrete and (b) wet wood? Here on the west coast where we get a considerable amount of rain, both the asphalt and wood will remain damp, wet, or soaked for most of the fall and winter months. In both instances, the tires are sitting on something wet.

I don't think I would suggest parking an RV on grass since it can collect and give off a fair amount of moisture during both the day and night. I am wondering if this moisture would contribute to the formation of rust on all the exposed metal - suspension, springs, wiring connections, etc. underneath the RV.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I guess there are different schools of thought here.(or maybe wives's tales) I was under the impression the wood was to prevent chemical ingredients in the paving surface (petroleum or lime from asphalt or concrete) from reacting with the rubber but the moisture theory makes sense also.

DieselMatt, Have you ever knelt down on the grass??? Did the grass get wet or your pants???? It might be better to kneel on a board. It also keeps the tires from sinking into soil or asphalt. JM2¢, Hank
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Javi

Y'all just need some good old Caliche to park on..
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

No way am I parking on CALICHE, the bottle might break.

I know ... I know you were talking about the crushed stone. I just could not resist.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
DieselMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
DieselMatt, Have you ever knelt down on the grass??? Did the grass get wet or your pants???? It might be better to kneel on a board. It also keeps the tires from sinking into soil or asphalt. JM2¢, Hank
I understand what you are getting at. I guess due to living in the northwest my experience is that no matter what you are parking it on there is going to be moisture. Perhaps some sort of plastic honey combed material would be best?

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
No way am I parking on CALICHE, the bottle might break.

I know ... I know you were talking about the crushed stone. I just could not resist.
I just have to give that a try..
Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
What is the difference between letting the tires rest on (a) wet asphalt/concrete and (b) wet wood? Here on the west coast where we get a considerable amount of rain, both the asphalt and wood will remain damp, wet, or soaked for most of the fall and winter months. In both instances, the tires are sitting on something wet.

I don't think I would suggest parking an RV on grass since it can collect and give off a fair amount of moisture during both the day and night. I am wondering if this moisture would contribute to the formation of rust on all the exposed metal - suspension, springs, wiring connections, etc. underneath the RV.
OK, here it goes. The water/moisture is going to take the path of least resistance. Wood being less dense than rubber will become waterlogged and rot. Hopefully, by then, it's condition will be recognized and corrected.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Justvisiting2day

Tires on pavement

If you have to worry about it, place your leveling blocks in a row and park on them no water and good drainage. More importantly is keep the sunshine off with good tire covers. The sun will do more damage than water.

Cheers
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
If you have to worry about it, place your leveling blocks in a row and park on them no water and good drainage. More importantly is keep the sunshine off with good tire covers. The sun will do more damage than water.

Cheers
I think this is getting closer to the truth. Most RV tires aren't going to last that long, anyway, so no matter what you park them on, in a few years they need to be replaced. I had one dealer tell me RV tires are good for around three years... Who knows?

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
DieselMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post

Cheers
I like this idea!

If you are from Oregon and have to worry about sunshine in the winter months then you must be from the "dry" side.

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

Old 10-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Bluewater

Not all of the northwest is wet. We don't have that problem hear on the east side thanks goodness.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
fred1609

I think home depot has plastic patio squares which I'm going to look at.....I get that the tires shouldn't be on the ashphalt. I think the levelling blocks would sink into ashphalt under the weight and warmer weather.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Johnny

last year I went to Tractor Supply and bought two heavy rubber matts that are used for horse stalls and such. They seem to work fine but who knows?? I think a bad problem is the weight of my camper on the tires, which over time just setting there causes the belts/bands in the tire to seperate. Last week I had a set of 10 ply BFG taken off. The date code was 2008. There was some cracking and a noticeable flat spot on each tire. The tread looked new. I went back with design E 10 Ply Michelin's.

I am wondering if the camper is going to set for many months, would it be worth while to jack the axles just alittle to take some weight off. Jack them just enough to get stands under them but still leave them on the ground. Remove half the weight.

Keep them out of direct sunlight.

Thanks
Johnny
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
ROLIN JOSEPH

Our (public) storage area has a layer of 2 to 3 inches of slag.
This supposedly allows water drainage.
Also tires sink into it a little bit forming a cradle for the tires.
This, in turn, lessens the flat-spot effect because of increased surface area in contact with the ground.
We do not cover the tires because the units are parked close enough to each other that they create their own shade.
Now dampness is another story, because the snow is almost a foot deep most of the winter, so.....you tell me.
My 2cents.

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote