Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
dixonii

Xfinity Xfi and Key TV - 2019 Outback 360 UML

Has anyone setup XFi with Key TV? This is just internet...no cable tv.

I verified that I have a connection on the post, but xFi gateway is not picked up when I plug the cable into the same post connection (outside the unit which I verified the gateway works on when connected directly to the post) into the Key TV cable (blue light is own) and connect the xFi gateway into the wall cable/ant.

Also, I tried to use the SAT connections and it doesn't work either....

Keystone Owner Support line told me to contact Xfinity, but the gateway works if connected directly outside the unit so it appears to be an issue with the Key TV "magic"....basically they were not helpful. It would be nice to hear from their tech staff on the best setup....remember no cable (using ANT) and will be streaming using the xfinity xFi.

I'm just interested to see if anyone has figured this one out...
dixonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

From what I've been told and led to believe, the KeyTV system does not support WiFi. On the front of the KeyTV box are two connections for satellite TV and on the rear, there's one input from the rooftop antenna (TV/FM) and 5 outputs (Radio, TV1 TV2, TV3, TV4)

I believe the only "connection" between KeyTV and the 4G LTE antenna is that they are co-located on the roof in the same place. Other than that, there is no "interconnection of the systems".. The 4G LTE is separate from KeyTV and does not connect or interface with KeyTV.

You can review the "how to" videos at Keystone's website at this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/how-to-videos/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #3
dixonii

Thank John. My issue is with the gateway that Xfinity has provided. According to Xfinity you are suppose to connect the cable from the wall into the gateway. I am thinking when I connect the cable to the Key TV cable/ant port it is not a pass through connection which is causing the gateway not to recognize the cable connection. Since I know it works when I connect directly into the source of the cable on the pole, I am thinking the Key TV connection port is the issue. I need to see if there is a way to bypass any boosting or spiting that the Key TV connection may be doing...
Old 09-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The KeyTV system is designed to process TV, Cable, Satellite and FM signals. It is not equipped to recognize any other frequency range and will never "see" or "process" the carrier frequencies used for WiFi or internet signals that are present on the signals routed over the Co-ax connected to the KeyTV box.

In other words, your Xfinity signal is "invisible to KeyTV" and since KeyTV can't see it, it can't/won't process it. Granted, it's present on the cable, but it's not electronically processed.... The KeyTV box "shorts it to ground" and doesn't send it through....

Think of it as having the cable attached to your TV. ALL 600 + channels are "present in the cable signal" but YOUR TV only processes the single channel you're "tuned to view". All the others are "shunted to ground" and disposed of by the TV tuner... Your KeyTV box does the same with all signals on the cable input that it's not "electronically tuned to accept"... The ONLY signals KeyTV is "electronically tuned to accept" are OTA TV, Cable TV, FM radio and Satellite TV/audio. ALL other signals are shunted to ground. It won't "pass through" what it can't/won't see....

So, Xfinity is "shunted to ground" and can't be processed by the KeyTV tuner.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
dixonii

Thank you very much! That explains it...So I will need to rig a direct connection and not connect through Key TV...at least I know what I need to do now. :-)
Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

...yep... Some people use an A/B switch, others just use a separate wire from the "ceiling box" to the router.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Key TV......another advance for an RV owner, right? That's not the case apparenly.

My trailer is in for various warranty repairs, one is the failure of Key TV to work. Sat down and visited with the SM at length yesterday and here are some of his observations.

Key TV was developed by Keystone, not as an advanced benefit for Keystone owners, but as a way to reduce costs.

Key TV failures are constant. They have to replace the Key TV modules. Apparently the "magic" that happens when the 2 modules communicate....doesn't, due to some issues with them.

When the units are replaced and Key TV is repaired, the new modules fail at a high rate.

Some folks, including myself, just have the service dept. remove the Key TV modules, tone the coax , stub them out and label them. You then just connect your incoming coax to the location you want. We rarely watch cable TV but if we do it is only on one TV. For those that watch multiple TVs I suppose you could place a splitter in front of the trailer connections and run short coax jumpers to whatever coax you wanted to use.

When Xfinity came to hook up our service in our new trailer he could not get anything to their interface. He did a quick check and just said there was no continuity from the outside connector to the TV connector. Of course he wasn't being paid to run trouble on my trailer so we just ran his coax thru a window and all was fine.

They have advised they will let me work with them to determine what kind of faceplate and connection configuration we will use in the convenience center for the multiple coax cables when the Key TV module is removed so we'll have to see how that goes. Sometimes "gee whiz" stuff (like In Command) isn't always a step forward.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
Javi

I kept seeing Xfinity, Xfinity, Xfinity so I finally had to look it up... HUH.. probably ain't going to have to worry about that one..
Old 09-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Buying the newest, latest in tech isn't necessarily the "greatest". Often the best thing to buy is the last edition, not the latest. Unfortunately Keystone doesn't offer that option.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #10
jessica_ashford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
From what I've been told and led to believe, the KeyTV system does not support WiFi. On the front of the KeyTV box are two connections for satellite TV and on the rear, there's one input from the rooftop antenna (TV/FM) and 5 outputs (Radio, TV1 TV2, TV3, TV4)

I believe the only "connection" between KeyTV and the 4G LTE antenna is that they are co-located on the roof in the same place. Other than that, there is no "interconnection of the systems".. The 4G LTE is separate from KeyTV and does not connect or interface with KeyTV.

You can review the "how to" videos at Keystone's website at this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/how-to-videos/
Thanks a lot for this. Really helped. Also you can contact xfinity customer service phone number to solve any issues with Xfinity.
jessica_ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #11
tanglemoose

We have new 2021 cougar 25rdswe with key TV.. that I am trying to figure out.. I see you wrote this.. we have King quest dome 4100, all worked great on last cougar without the Key TV... now, keytv doesn't power our dome to search for signal.. thinking something in module or?? Wire is running thru window in our 3 month trip with new rv...

Someone said to put the gray KQ 4100 box before key tv??? But now sure how that would work??outside and needs dc power??

Explain more the below sentence, please...
Some folks, including myself, just have the service dept. remove the Key TV modules, tone the coax , stub them out and label them. You then just connect your incoming coax to the location you want. We rarely watch cable TV but if we do it is only on one TV. For those that watch multiple TVs I suppose you could place a splitter in front of the trailer connections and run short coax jumpers to whatever coax you wanted to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210207_140201.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	31910  
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
TomoDoran

I’m connected to Xfinity via KeyTV without an issue on my 2021 368MBI. I am not using the xfi modem router but my own modem/router combo.
TomoDoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback