Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #1
gumbyc

How much antifreeze

I have a 2210RB Passport and would like to know how much antifreeze should I put in my fresh water tank to run through my water lines for winter ? I know I have a hot water bypass system but couldn't find a way to siphon the antifreeze directly into the pump. The owners manual says to pour antifreeze into the water tank and do it that way, however that seems odd that there is no siphon tube. I poured 5 gals in and the pump sounded air locked or that there was not enough fluid for the pump. If it was air locked (if there is such a thing) I don't know why opening up faucets individually didn't fix it. Any help in explaining this would be appreciated. Are there any other passport owners out there that have the same model?
gumbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Don't pour antifreeze into the FW tank. To start any remaining water will dilute it, it will take a LOT of antifreeze to get the pump to siphon and pump thru the system and leaving that in the FW tank will require a LOT of rinsing/flushing to get it out.

If the FW pump doesn't have a winterization valve then add one. It will install on the suction side of the pump with a valve to choose between using the winterizing hose or the FW tank. Also do not put antifreeze in the water heater.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
gumbyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't pour antifreeze into the FW tank. To start any remaining water will dilute it, it will take a LOT of antifreeze to get the pump to siphon and pump thru the system and leaving that in the FW tank will require a LOT of rinsing/flushing to get it out.

If the FW pump doesn't have a winterization valve then add one. It will install on the suction side of the pump with a valve to choose between using the winterizing hose or the FW tank. Also do not put antifreeze in the water heater.
I agree that I shouldn't, but again that's what the owners manual says. I will try to put a siphon hose on it but the pump is in a VERY tight location between two walls. No slack in any of the hoses. That may be why there isn't one. Reading through some of the other owners it seems like they are pouring it in the FW tank also. Bad design regardless when you have to use Gallons of antifreeze to winterize a small amount of hoses.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Where is the pump located? Pass thru, in a cabinet?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
gumbyc

There is a removable panel in the front left pass through. Right behind it is a panel where the elect cable is stored. It’s also tight where the fresh and city water connections are. A lot going on in a little space.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:33 AM   #6
Schbobby

I have purchased an extra pump inlet fitting and attached a section of tubing to it. Disconnect from tank input on pump, put my hose with fitting on pump, put end in antifreeze bottle and turn on pump! Takes about 2 gallons to get to all faucets! Then pore another bottle into all drains! Good luck!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #7
gumbyc

At a minimum that’s what I would like to do. Better yet I would like to install hoses with shut offs to the inlet and attach a permanent hose with a shut off for the antifreeze. Don’t believe I have enough room to do all that.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
KCSA75

I have a kit similar to this on our 29-foot Cougar TT. It takes just less than two gallons of Anti-freeze to fill the system.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...23506LFVP.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	158
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	29732  

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
gumbyc

I would guess the end with the plug is the one you use for the antifreeze. That way by turning the levee 90degrees you shut off the feed from the tank and allow the feed to come from the gal jug. If so, is your pump in the same location as mine.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
IMASAP

I also have to put my rv antifreeze into my fresh water tank to winterize. I drain it, then put in 5 to 6 gallons of antifreeze. This is enough to get my pump to pick it up. Before I run the water pump , I drain the system by opening the low point drains, then close them when the lines are empty. Then, I connect 25psi of compressed air to my city water inlet and blow out all my lines / faucets. Don't forget things like outdoor kitchen or outside shower. Open each faucet one at a time to blow out.... I repeat this a few times. Then turn on the water pump and fill all lines by opening faucets one at a time.... starting with the highest. Last I do is my black tank rinse, using the hose that attaches to the q/c on my outdoor kitchen faucet. Obviously, your black and grey tanks should already be empty. Oh, also pull the screen out of your city water fill and push on the little tit in there so there can be no water trapped in there also... then put the screen back in. When I'm satisfied everything is covered, I drain any leftover antifreeze out of my water tank. Always leave a little antifreeze in a jug and dump extra in all your traps, just to play it safe.

Reality is, RV antifreeze is cheap..... if you have to put a couple more gallons in to get the pump to pick it up, not that big of a deal. Like you, my pump is in a very small compartment.... not easy to add a winterizing kit. Eventually, I will get to it.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
skids

I had a 195rb Jayco and I also used the FW tank for inputting antifreeze. It was simpler than my Bullet because it had a small FW tank and it was easy to completely drain (height to width was more). Also, there was no black rinse and no outside shower or kitchen.

The Bullet is different with larger tanks. (Less height to width ratio) That means if she is off level a little, there will be some water left over in the FW tank. That complicates things with antifreeze.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
gumbyc

I’m fortunate to have fw tank drain and hw and lot point drain. Regardless it’s still painful to put 7 gals antifreeze in the tank and then have to waste it in the spring.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #13
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I see you're in Denver, so anti freeze is a good idea.
I checked with my local dealer to find out what they do for winterizing, and followed their lead. They just drain the water heater, blow out the lines with compressed air, and fill the traps with anti freeze. Only takes a couple quarts.
It all depends on your climate.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I see you're in Denver, so anti freeze is a good idea.
I checked with my local dealer to find out what they do for winterizing, and followed their lead. They just drain the water heater, blow out the lines with compressed air, and fill the traps with anti freeze. Only takes a couple quarts.
It all depends on your climate.
That wont protect the water pump IMHO.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
Gunny Mike

Last year we ran air through all of the lines for our Outback for the first time. We had no problems. I just add a gallon to each holding tank and add some for the trap for each sink plus the shower.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
baughboy

I have a 2015 Bullet 287QBS, I put 6 gallons into the fresh water tank and run it thru the system. Winters here in Ohio tend to get quite cold, and at around $3 per gallon, I trust that much more than blowing out the lines. I have not experienced the "airlock" you mention, I only use the freshwater tank for the antifreeze delivery each winter.
baughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 AM   #17
05Fatboy

The only thing I don't see mentioned is be sure you get anti-freeze in the flush valve on the toilet.
05Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
Greg L

You don’t really have to put any antifreeze in your fresh water tank. You need a clear hose and a fitting for your water pump. And 1 4liter jug of RV antifreeze
Greg L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #19
jvbutter01

ok, time for the stupid question.... are you refereeing to
https://www.campingworld.com/freeze-...lon-57726.html
type... propylene glycol vs what you put in your car.. ethylene glycol.

some descriptions say to put in marine engines, so its got me a bit puzzled.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #20
gumbyc

No auto antifreeze. We are talking about Rv safe to put in your fresh water system. The main reason for the thread was at the time I had no way to pump antifreeze through my water system except pouring 5-7 gals of Rv antifreeze in my main water tank and then run the pump.I installed the kit KCSA75 recommended and it works great. No more need to waste gallons into the tank. I just can draw what I need directly out of the gallon jug. The way most rv’s are set up.