Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
Papa of 7

Ford F350 6.75 bed

Thinking about a Ford F350 6.75 foot bed, 6.7 Diesel. Will this bed need a sliding fifth wheel hitch?
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
notanlines

Papa, it will depend on your RV and the pin box. I might add, it would be nice to know you had one just in case.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Papa of 7

Right now I have a tt, but moving up with truck now and hopefully a deal on a slightly used 5th wheel when everyone goes back to work. I got a feeling some will get tied of payments when they only have a couple weeks of vacation. We have been blessed to retire the first of this year.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
tech740

In that case it will depend on the RV. I assume based on your above post it will be a newer camper so it should have the rounded front cap. You most likely wont need the hitch. It is never definitive because you cant predict every situation you will be in. 99% of the time you will be just fine.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
Papa of 7

Okay, thank you for this information, this gives me something to be thinking about . And yes, most likely 2019 or newer is my plan.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

If you do decide to go the slider route (I have the short bed and I wouldn't tow without one), I suggest you get an auto slide, it is nice not to have to decide "is this a tight enough turn that I have to get out and move the hitch back?"
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
Papa of 7

Yes, a friend of mine has the auto slide.That is difently the way to go. Thanks
Old 09-05-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I've towed two fifth wheels with the Ford "short bed" SuperDuty, one with a "flat front cap" and one with the "max turn front cap". In nearly 40,000 miles of towing, I've never encountered a situation where I "needed a sliding hitch"... I will say that there have been many situations where I might have "used it if I had it", but I've never had a situation where I "had to have one or I'd hit the cab"....

Much of that is what I call "situational awareness"... In other words, I don't "blindly start something I don't know if I can finish"... I know my truck/trailer limitations, get out and look, and if I think it's not going to work, I don't start the maneuver wondering if I can get into/out of the situation....

Several things to consider:

1. Sliding hitches are significantly heavier than fixed hitches. You're going to be taking the hitch in/out of your truck bed. How often you have to move it will be a factor in your decision on which type of hitch you can best use.

2. Travel trailers are limited to about 40-45 degrees of turn capability. Any further and you'll either bend the trailer A-frame or hit the tow vehicle tail lights. Fifth wheels, regardless of bed length (in a SuperDuty) can attain significantly more turn capability than any travel trailer, so you'll have increased turn capacity with a fifth wheel over any travel trailer you've ever towed. In other words, with a travel trailer, you can "contact the truck" just as easily as you can with a fifth wheel, so much of the "Oh no, you need..." is hype for anyone who is currently towing a travel trailer and has or has not ever "hit the front of their trailer/truck tail lights in a backing maneuver... It can happen with any truck/trailer combination if you "turn too sharp"... Even with a sliding hitch, you can crush the side of your bed if you back sharper than about 95 degrees.....

3. It's easier than you might imagine to damage the trailer suspension/wheels/tires by turning too sharply with any trailer. Travel trailers limit the max capacity to about 40 degrees, typically a safe turn angle for the suspension. Fifth wheels can attain about 80 degrees or a bit more with a fixed hitch/short bed Superduty (the longest of the short bed models compared to GM/RAM). That angle is "at the edge" or maybe "in excess of safe backing angles" for the trailer components. With a sliding hitch, it's much easier to "get into a situation where you can destroy the trailer suspension at the expense of saving your truck rear window"...

I'm not suggesting that you should NOT buy a sliding hitch, some people "really, REALLY need one" while others, based on situational awareness and how they operate their rig, will never use a sliding hitch. Based on your towing experience towing a travel trailer, you'll have significantly more "turn capacity" with any fifth wheel, sliding hitch or fixed hitch... How much "more you want or need" is the question to ask.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Curious as to why you are considering a short bed superduty? Why not a long bed?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
travelin texans

Payload of your particular truck is also a big consideration with a slider hitch, it alone will eat up a couple hundred + pounds very quickly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
jim1

Reese Side winder rotating pin boxes have worked really well for me on 2 5th wheels with short box Ram 4x4 trucks and you're not adding payload to the truck.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:26 AM   #12
jsm180

I bought a slider 8 years ago when I bought the 5th because "everyone" said I needed it with a short bed. After 2 years of never using it, I sold it with no regrets. I pull a flat front camper and have never come close to hitting the cab. I also don't miss clunking on stops and starts. I now pull with a Reese Goose Box.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #13
Papa of 7

Thanks to you all for the good information. I am very glad I found this forum, it has definitely saved me some dollars.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
Papa of 7

responsetoWiredgeorge, lol, it just seems like a bus! I have a F150 3.5 EcoBoost with a 5.5 foot bed, the 8 ft just looks to long to me. ��
Old 09-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
responsetoWiredgeorge, lol, it just seems like a bus! I have a F150 3.5 EcoBoost with a 5.5 foot bed, the 8 ft just looks to long to me. ��

I hear that! Had a number of Ford 1/2 tons and the last was a 2013 F150XL. Then went to a 96 F250 crew cab and my current F350 long bed is at least two feet longer than the F250. You get used to it and I installed a backup camera to avoid crunching things when backing up. It helps to have a fifth wheel tailgate (mostly a couple bars with a lot of air) to see behind as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:55 AM   #16
purebred

Just get an Anderson ultimate hitch and you won't have to worry about it plus the weight factor. Have one on my Ram short bed and it's a breeze to operate.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #17
LewisB

A little different perspective...

Lots of good advice on this subject in previous posts. I have a different situation which you should consider during your purchases. This might not apply to you, but it's something to keep in mind as you shop:

We tow with a 2017 F350 CC DRW 4x4 with an 8' box AND I use a slider hitch!

Why? Short version - Our 2018 Raptor has two front compartments with swing up doors for the 2 propane bottles and the 5500 generator. These can NOT be fully accessed when the trailer is hooked up. We also commonly stop along the road for the night - I want to be able to check the generator, have access to the gas bottles without un-hooking (like in a rest stop). An RV tailgate would not solve this issue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2302.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	29703
Additionally, with a normal tailgate and a normal hitch, you must back up very straight to connect while the tailgate is down. Yes, I could get the pin box inside the bed, then close the tailgate, but the odds of destroying the tailgate go up significantly. Lastly, forget about getting much of anything out of the back of the truck when connected to the trailer with a normal hitch.

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	29704
A fifth wheel tailgate wouldn't fix the issue. A new longer pin box that fit and was approved by Keystone is not available. If I wanted to get those compartments open while hooked up, I needed a 12" slider hitch - I picked a Kurt A20 tube slider that is compatible with the trailers Rota-Flex pin box.

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	29707
The sliding hitch now gives me full access to both compartments even when hooked up.

Name:	Slide7.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	29709
Now there is plenty of room to access compartments and/or get things out of the back of the truck.

Name:	Slide8.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	29710
Lastly, we love this rig. I had enough capacity that I could safely add a 90 gallon auxillary tank/tool box.

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	29712

Many (most?) users might say this is foolish. But I wanted access to those front compartments at all times! I love the extra space between the truck & trailer when extended, and I had plenty of capacity for weight and size. So, that's why.

Those front compartments are just an issue to keep in the back of your mind.

Good luck with your shopping!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #18
m.lange

I have a short box ford as well, pulling my toy hauler. I have a superglide auto sliding hitch. I know it is heavy, but it works well and I use every time I bring the trailer home because of tight quarters. Wouldn't have a short box truck without this hitch....
m.lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Lots of good advice on this subject in previous posts. I have a different situation which you should consider during your purchases. This might not apply to you, but it's something to keep in mind as you shop:

We tow with a 2017 F350 CC DRW 4x4 with an 8' box AND I use a slider hitch!

Why? Short version - Our 2018 Raptor has two front compartments with swing up doors for the 2 propane bottles and the 5500 generator. These can NOT be fully accessed when the trailer is hooked up. We also commonly stop along the road for the night - I want to be able to check the generator, have access to the gas bottles without un-hooking (like in a rest stop). An RV tailgate would not solve this issue.
Attachment 29703
Additionally, with a normal tailgate and a normal hitch, you must back up very straight to connect while the tailgate is down. Yes, I could get the pin box inside the bed, then close the tailgate, but the odds of destroying the tailgate go up significantly. Lastly, forget about getting much of anything out of the back of the truck when connected to the trailer with a normal hitch.
Attachment 29704
A fifth wheel tailgate wouldn't fix the issue. A new longer pin box that fit and was approved by Keystone is not available. If I wanted to get those compartments open while hooked up, I needed a 12" slider hitch - I picked a Kurt A20 tube slider that is compatible with the trailers Rota-Flex pin box.
Attachment 29707
The sliding hitch now gives me full access to both compartments even when hooked up.
Attachment 29709
Now there is plenty of room to access compartments and/or get things out of the back of the truck.
Attachment 29710
Lastly, we love this rig. I had enough capacity that I could safely add a 90 gallon auxillary tank/tool box.
Attachment 29712

Many (most?) users might say this is foolish. But I wanted access to those front compartments at all times! I love the extra space between the truck & trailer when extended, and I had plenty of capacity for weight and size. So, that's why.

Those front compartments are just an issue to keep in the back of your mind.

Good luck with your shopping!
I use my B&W slider hitch for some of the same reasons you do. I can open my front RV hatch doors but its a very tight fit and I need to be square to the RV. With the slider hitch extended it makes it much easier to access these compartments without having to raise and lower the gate or unhook . I have used the slider for tight situations in maneuvering in tight spots but not complete turns and don’t really use it on a regular basis. When I want/need it I’m glad I have it. Im fine with the weights so its not an issue. Again, just something to consider.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
Papa of 7

[QUOTE=purebred;409547]Just get an Anderson ultimate hitch and you won't have to worry about it plus the weight factor. Have one on my Ram short bed and it's a breeze to operate.[/QUOTE
I saw one of those today on a Ram short bed, the guy loved it and also loved that it only weighed 35 or 40 pounds he thought.

Tags
bed, ford