Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #21
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I promise, in my experience, your observation is 100% accurate. Of course, I'm beginning to believe it's most everything if it doesn't have the latest goo gah electronic gizmos.
The lack of electronic "goo gah gizmos" it probably what contributes to their longer life.

The fridge in the kitchen quit a few years ago and the repair required a 10X10 circuit board that I was able to source on line for $120, the defrost function in the garage fridge is run by a little clock timer motor, that is 44 years old .

The garage fridge keeps the beer really cold, even when it is 100 outside, too.

I will regret its demise, if/when it happens.

-Brian
Old 08-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #22
kfxgreenie

Quote:
I promise, in my experience, your observation is 100% accurate. Of course, I'm beginning to believe it's most everything if it doesn't have the latest goo gah electronic gizmos.
You can thank the DOE energy guidelines and consumers demand for cheap appliances for the demise of quality appliances.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Yeah, I think simplicity really helps appliances last. I had to replace my garage freezer last year. It was a Western Auto Wizard freezer we purchased in 1972 I believe. I have no confidence the new one will last that long. The garage fridge died about 3 years ago and it was about 30 years old. Like they say; "they don't build them like they used to" - and it's a shame.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #24
notanlines

Always remember, when going to be away for any length of time, remove all beef all chicken all pork all fish. I might further add anything else that will smell bad when it thaws and sits. But those are the worst three offenders.
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I wish we could but I generally keep quite a bit of frozen meat. I fill the freezer in the RV before leaving with beef we get here in TX. Thankfully the big freezer didn't quit because it still have probably 200lbs. of beef, chicken and sausage (I like to cook and share ). After this little episode however DW and I decided we need to trim back on what we keep on hand...maybe. With everything going on right now the fewer trips I make to the store the happier I am so guess we'll see how that works. I'll have to eat a LOT in the next 9 weeks before we are gone again for 5 months.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Always remember, when going to be away for any length of time, remove all beef all chicken all pork all fish. I might further add anything else that will smell bad when it thaws and sits. But those are the worst three offenders.
We had the power go a couple years during a storm while we were gone for the summer with no one to trip the breaker back on, everything but condiments were cleared out of the fridge/freezer EXCEPT one freezer bag with about 2 cups of fried rice hidden back in the bottom freezer drawer, I cannot imagine beef, pork or chicken smelling any more like a dead body than that bit fried rice.
That odor permeated the plastic water bottles & even the glass bottles of condiments. We emptied it, taped it shut, found a neighbor to check on things this time & continued our summer travels.
While gone the neighbors loaded that fridge up with charcoal, baking soda & newspapers, changed all of it a couple times & when we returned the fridge had absolutely no smell.
We had already collected insurance on the fridge & had a new to be delivered when we returned home, we donated that fridge to our RV park as they needed to replace one that had quit, so all worked out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

We have a 30+ yr old side by side in the basement. Still going strong and great for keeping whole turkey, ham or other "large" items like watermelon. The shame of is the old gal uses a LOT more energy than the "new models". I'm guessing that in the last 15 or so years the energy savings from the bottom freezer 3 door Amanna in the kitchen has likely paid for itself.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #28
roadglide

Danny started this thread here we are 14 months later with real life shortages of most everything that comes from China .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #29
dutchmensport

We have a shortage of everything except Covid. Guess China was pretty generous there?
Old 09-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #30
Courser Farm

We too have a whole house genny, propane, and it has been great for 6 years now. I get regular advice on its weekly test run, and anytime it has to run for outage. Won't help if an appliance gives up the ghost of course!
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #31
foldbak

https://www.rvtravel.com/cargo-ships-cant-unload-1019b/

I think I found your refrigerator.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:18 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

We went for an extended slingshot trip today. Lunch at Subway. They were out of ground pepper, so salt only on our "sammich"....

Stopped by a local bar on the way home for supper. They were out of mustard but had some "homemade" that tasted good enough for us. The waitress said their supplier has been out of French's mustard for almost 2 weeks now.

If it's made in china, it's going to be "hard to find" sooner or later... Maybe even sooner AND later.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:44 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

It's difficult (for me) to figure the terrible things that a simple virus has caused. Then again, the virus didn't cause it, various "reactions" trying to manage or mold something to a particular benefit for "a cause" that would run its course anyway has harmed folks worldwide.

Many things are wrong right now and none are due to a "virus", simply the actions and reactions of some to a situation with an intent of using it for the benefit of a particular faction....not the "folks". JMO - not political but more social.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #34
wiredgeorge

We unfortunately had our dish washer die and needed to purchase a new one. I was surprised that appliances are still in such short supply and many have a lead time of months for delivery. Options were limited. Related to the plague or the economy shaky or the components coming through the Far East supply chain in a state of semi-perm delay? Dunno.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #35
foldbak

Quote:
It's difficult (for me) to figure the terrible things that a simple virus has caused. Then again, the virus didn't cause it, various "reactions" trying to manage or mold something to a particular benefit for "a cause" that would run its course anyway has harmed folks worldwide.

Many things are wrong right now and none are due to a "virus", simply the actions and reactions of some to a situation with an intent of using it for the benefit of a particular faction....not the "folks". JMO - not political but more social.

Agreed! It's a pretty scary situation and I fear for the younger generations. I'm trading paper for metal! It's bad enough we have to rely on other countries for everyday products but even worse that almost all of our medications are from China.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

I think most people realize that in today's world, we've given up the "common, ordinary things" and no longer feel that it's "profitable" to make them in our country. Over the last few decades, we've "normalized economies" with our adversaries with the hope they will become our friends. While doing that, we've given them all the tools they need to "serve us and keep us happy"....

I can't think of a single thing that's exclusively made in the US any longer. Items may be "assembled in the US from Chinese components", but even at the local welding shop, Joe (or Jim) builds our hitch from metal his supplier bought from China.... Take a look at where John Deere tractors are made, where all our electronics are made, where our "ham is processed and cured", where our medications come from (even the fentanyl our kids buy on the street).....

Sad part, at least to me, far too few of us are willing to "just say no" and do without until the US can resume producing what we need....

Seems it's more "convenient" to just keep ourselves comfortable, using foreign junk that's supposed to be "cheaper" rather than do without or buy the more expensive US product....

Look at the tires, the stereo, the water pump, the steel in the frame, the bearings in the axles, the axles themselves, even the CURT hitch that used to be "all American, built in the US".... It's now a "Lippert subsidiary" as is much of every "Keystone, built in Goshen".... More accurately, like most of our products, bought from the cheapest supplier with no thought (or care) about where it came from, as long as we get to use it until it breaks, then we throw it away and complain about "cheap chinese junk".....

And, when something happens to interrupt the supply chain, suddenly we find ourselves without pepper or French's mustard or refrigerators or Simvastatin or steel to build the next aircraft carrier......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #37
travelin texans

I agree with John, We have brought this on ourselves!
There are 3 types of people nowadays,
#1 they show up everyday at work on time, work hard & do their best
#2 those that have priced themselves out of work, think unions
#3 those that expect to be paid well to not work, this group grows larger everyday.
We recently were in a Walmart that had no manned checkouts, all were self, with 2 employees helping those with problems.
McDonald's now has kiosk to order from rather than people.
Circle K convenience stores in our area now have self checkouts available.
Why? Because no one wants to work!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I agree with John, We have brought this on ourselves!
There are 3 types of people nowadays,
#1 they show up everyday at work on time, work hard & do their best
#2 those that have priced themselves out of work, think unions
#3 those that expect to be paid well to not work, this group grows larger everyday.
We recently were in a Walmart that had no manned checkouts, all were self, with 2 employees helping those with problems.
McDonald's now has kiosk to order from rather than people.
Circle K convenience stores in our area now have self checkouts available.
Why? Because no one wants to work!
I think that's one of the reasons, another is this $15 minimum wage. It's cheaper for WalMart, McD's and Circle K to put in self service checkouts than to pay the "asking price for part time work". It's simply not economically feasible to pay a part time high school student $15/hour to sling burgers at McD's, unless you intend to raise the price of that $1 burger to $3 or $4. At those prices, the public would likely stop buying McD burgers. That type of job was never intended to be a "career path to raise a family". It was always intended to be an "entry level introduction to the work force with an equally introductory salary". Right now, there are over 10 million "jobs" with no workers to fill them. The reasons may vary, but the bottom line is "many people aren't interested in working as long as they get paid to not work"...

There's something to be said for buying an old camper, setting it up in a state park campground, sleeping until noon every day and moving to another campground after the maximum stay, all funded by "covid relief".... Why would anyone want to give up that lifestyle for a "9-5 where you have to be at work all day" ????? If things don't change soon, Mustard and ground pepper aren't all that's going to be in short supply.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with above but feel the need to point out that America cannot compete as long as the "playing field" is so slanted. It's no secret that China uses child and forced labor. They have an endless supply of labor at a minimal cost and absolutely no concern for their welfare or wellbeing. They're little to no laws or control over working conditions or environmental impacts. Similar conditions are found in Indonesia and Mexico. The only way to compete is to impose heavy import duties on goods to raise the prices to make American made goods competitive. When these import duties are suggested folks become reluctant as it would effectively eliminate the "cheap" goods we've all come accustomed to. So IMHO we (as in consumers) need look no further than the mirror to see the cause.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #40
Northofu1

Most of us have had it pretty easy in our lives.
My ex MIL grew up in Scotland during the last great war and has to hoard toilet paper, soap, and chocolate. I would imagine it is some kind of zeitgeist, she also spoke of going to the cinema and not having enough money to buy popcorn would bring an oxo cube to suck on during the movie.
I'm pretty sure the folks that grew up and lived through the 1890's until at least the 60's had it worse than anyone in near history.
Even with covid we are all still pretty lucky.
Just my

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote