Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #21
daveinaz

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Many in the thread posted their personal experiences; a few posted opinions. Either way, I don't think anyone has been "out of line", irate or ugly. Because many didn't experience your "seat of the pants" feeling of improvement doesn't mean they are attacking you - just relaying their experience. If you believe your changes netted you an improvement, real or imagined (seat of the pants vs measured), you got your money's worth it would seem and I hope you continue to realize improvement from your mods.
I agree. I didn't feel like I was being attacked or that anyone was out of line, irate, or ugly. I merely stated that I was kind of surprised by the strong opinions and blanket statements my post elicited from some. (Although, considering the back and forth on some threads, I guess I shouldn't be. ) Some posted strong opinions (which is fine) of after market air filters who seem to have no actual experience with them.

I appreciate this forum and I'm not going to reply any more to this thread because I never intended to "start something."

How's that Frozen song go? "let it go, let it go..."
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
I agree. I didn't feel like I was being attacked or that anyone was out of line, irate, or ugly. I merely stated that I was kind of surprised by the strong opinions and blanket statements my post elicited from some. (Although, considering the back and forth on some threads, I guess I shouldn't be. ) Some posted strong opinions (which is fine) of after market air filters who seem to have no actual experience with them.

I appreciate this forum and I'm not going to reply any more to this thread because I never intended to "start something."

How's that Frozen song go? "let it go, let it go..."
Dave I don't think you started anything. You brought up a topic that others wanted to share their experiences, or opinions, on. I appreciated your initial post and thoughts on the aftermarket adds. I always WANTED my aftermarket add ons to give me discernible, maybe even very noticeable, performance improvements but I never realized that. Whether the cold air intakes, chips, low restriction mufflers, new exhaust...never seemed worth the money to me in the situations I had. Now, put that low restriction exhaust behind that big block you just rebuilt with new cam, pistons, roller rockers etc. etc. and yes, it probably makes a difference (that subdued "lope" always sounded nice).

Anyway, your post is/was appreciated along with all the other comments about different experiences. I think it's a way for folks interested in that kind of thing to learn of other experiences if they are thinking of making the same kind of mod. It's one of the nice things about this forum - so much experience and so many willing to share.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

If someone is looking for facts only, then regurgitation (vomiting) google web links is all the forum would be. It's the personal experiences, personal beliefs, personal opinions that make the forum a place where people can share different perspectives and all grow to a better understanding of "something I hadn't considered, thank you".....

That ability to see something "other than just the facts, mam" is what makes the forum what it is. As long as people don't start attacking people for not believing what they believe, it will work to benefit everyone.

It's not about "hey, you're wrong" as much as it is, "Hey, I didn't consider that, thanks for bringing it up".....

As always, YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #24
Peacemkr53

My TV (2015 RAM 6.7 TD Cummins) is computer operated. With intake and exhaust sensors the computer is mapped to compensate. So I would doubt there would be any gain. The computer would read and compensate. Now if this were a Harley forum.....that was a way different experience....LOL
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #25
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr53 View Post
My TV (2015 RAM 6.7 TD Cummins) is computer operated. With intake and exhaust sensors the computer is mapped to compensate. So I would doubt there would be any gain. The computer would read and compensate. Now if this were a Harley forum.....that was a way different experience....LOL
The cold air kits got real expensive when they started to have to include a flash tuner for the mapping.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
That is interesting. Always thought from my souping up engine days the theory was "more air in needs more exhaust out" to get more power.
Yes, that is true... I have both, K&N filter system and Flowmaster exhaust system in my Ram truck with 5.7 Hemi and also notice a it gets to 75 miles in a hurry. If I'm not watching my speedometer, I also notice I'm going faster than expected with ease. My Ford Edge with 295 hp doesn't come close for comparison. (It is much lighter than the truck) I drove a stock Ram with same engine it didn't have that same kick mine does. Past experiences with five Corvettes I had over the years,
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/jacks-vettes.htm
I've noticed nice gains of power improving the intake & exhaust system.

So yes, if you improve both the intake and exhaust, you can expect 25 - 50 hp gains! KN is very popular with the musclecar crowd.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #27
mikz86ta

Funny, just did the thermostats and hoses on our Sierra. Since access thru the passenger wheel well makes it easier job for a few of the clamps, I was in that area. In which the Duramax air intake sucks thru. While running the truck at idle doing the coolant fill process, I noticed a deep distinct lopey sound from the air getting sucked in.
I have a stock intake but a AFE filter installed. The stock filter was much more quiet.
Point is, definitely stock filters have more restriction. These diesels need air and the turbos at full spool really need the airflow. So I would not doubt you have some free horsepower on tap that was restricted before
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #28
Trailer Trash2

I was told that's why we have a inner cooler the turbo cools the compressed air down to enter the motor cooler for more power, I dont know where the K&N cooler is installed but if it works for you, you got your monies worth.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #29
Snoking

For a real comparison one would have to do back to back dyno runs without and with the cold air intake. Everything I have learn with 3 RAM/Cummins starting in 1994, is that any gain is very minimal. It has been said on many forums for many years, the stock RAM intake and exhaust is good for up to 450HP. Now the 7.3 with the crushed down pipe between the engine and firewall was a good thing to upgrade also with the crushed bend over the rear axle on my 1993 RAM/Cummins. These are isolated issues to particular models, makes and years.

Noise always seem to make you thing you are going faster. As a kid I had a little late 40's A40 Austin with a glass pack muffler. Sounded cool but in reality was dead slow.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Polaris Slingshot SEL models have a "specialized cold air intake"
Polaris Slingshot SL models have a "standard air intake"

The factory specs on both are exactly the same HP and torque.

The engine is a 2.4l GM 4 cylinder automotive engine. If there was "something more than talking points" to cold air intakes, I'd guess that Polaris would "talk up the improvement in performance" but they list the specs as the same for both models.

Makes me wonder about cold vs ambient vs underhood air temperature and if there's any difference in burning it in a fuel mixture in a high compression engine that "explodes the fuel/air mixture without a spark.... It's more a matter of how much air the "hot turbo vanes" can push into the engine cylinders before the valves close and detonation occurs. With an intercooler to "chill the air mixture" I wonder what a cold air intake adds to the mix ???

This is very interesting but not that odd to me that they don't give the Slingshot a higher HP rating.

My 2014 Ram was offered with some OEM Mopar dealer installed goodies. Tho, just like aftermarket, they do claim a HP increase but they don't re-issue specs for the truck. Also in 2018, if I recall, they had a Ram Sport Night package...there was Manufacturer Installed upgrades which included Mopar exhaust (made by Corsa), Mopar intake kit (made by AEM) and even it made the stock Sport Hood faux vents actually functional.
That being said, they did not show up on the window sticker or spec build sheet any HP increase over any other 5.7L Hemi. Resale, you can show these options and upgrades but even KBB does not list those items as viable options to up the resale price.
So, it's not surprising to me they didn't list any MPG or HP diffences.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #31
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
For a real comparison one would have to do back to back dyno runs without and with the cold air intake. Everything I have learn with 3 RAM/Cummins starting in 1994, is that any gain is very minimal. It has been said on many forums for many years, the stock RAM intake and exhaust is good for up to 450HP. Now the 7.3 with the crushed down pipe between the engine and firewall was a good thing to upgrade also with the crushed bend over the rear axle on my 1993 RAM/Cummins. These are isolated issues to particular models, makes and years.

Noise always seem to make you thing you are going faster. As a kid I had a little late 40's A40 Austin with a glass pack muffler. Sounded cool but in reality was dead slow.
Don't sound like to me you've actually tried the K&N filter? Sounds like your speculating. I have, several times over the years with Corvettes and now with my truck. I have both, K&N filter system and Flowmaster exhaust system in my Ram truck with 5.7 Hemi and also notice a it gets to 75 miles in a hurry. If I'm not watching my speedometer, I also notice I'm going faster than expected with ease. My Ford Edge with 295 hp doesn't come close for comparison. (It is much lighter than the truck) I drove a friends stock Ram with same engine it didn't have that same kick mine does, nor gets to 80 mph as quickly. Past experiences with five Corvettes I had over the years,
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/jacks-vettes.htm
I've noticed nice gains (sometimes dramatic) of power improving the intake & exhaust system.

So yes, if you improve both the intake and exhaust, you can expect 25 - 50 hp gains! K&N is very popular with the musclecar crowd.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote