Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
CarolS

OK to stay hitched-up overnight?

This summer, we're planning to go cross country (FL to WY) in our 25 foot travel trailer (Bullet Premier 22RBPR) pulled by a Nissan Armada with equalizer hitch.

To save time, I'd like to be able to leave the car and camper hitched-up overnight at stops. Planning to stay in pull-thru RV slots that should be fairly level. Is doing this OK overnight? Would it be OK to push out the small dinette slider?

I'm grateful for any tips and advice.

Thanks!

Carol
CarolS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Yes, you can stay hooked up for the overnight. Won't hurt anything. If you're in a campground, put your slides ou, put your awning out, put your grill out. It's all ok.

However, keep in mind if you stay hooked up then you have to take the trailer with you to Walmart, etc. And trailers don't fit up to the drive through window.

How many miles and hours are you planning on traveling each day?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
CarolS

Thanks for the info! That's so good to know. We've never taken a lengthy trip in this trailer, and it seems just so much more convenient not to have to unhitch/re-hitch especially with the equalizer bars.

My guess is that it's a good thing to put down the front jack and stabilizers just so they touch ground?

The "plan" is to do around 400 miles a day. That's the plan, anyway.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
66joej

Eight hours a day with the short wheelbase Nissan may be a stretch. But it's a good plan. Have a good enjoyable trip!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
kfennell1

My husband and I took our first long trip with our Passport 2520RL in May. On the first leg of our trip back from Florida we stopped at Poverty Point Reservoir State Park in Louisiana. Since we would be leaving early the next day, it seemed like a lot of trouble to unhook all the sway control, etc. So we lowered the jacks, and put out the slide. After having a nice supper, we decided to walk down and look at the lake. My husband went down the steps first. When he stepped off the last step he immediately said, I've been snake bit! A copperhead was beneath the bottom step where it could not be seen. Luckily, there was a camp host that I asked to drive us to the hospital in town. From now on, we will make the extra effort to unhook the truck!
kfennell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you plan to tow 400 miles a day, you're going to miss seeing much of the reason for the trip.... When you tow with the "attitude" of the destination as your focus, you tend to bypass all of the interesting things you see on the side of the road. We've planned trips for 50 years and almost always are behind schedule after the first day. Some days we may only tow 25 or 30 miles, see something that we really REALLY think would be interesting, so we stop, find a campground and go "sightseeing".... We've found everything from dinosaur bones to the world's biggest buffalo that way, not to mention all of the other stuff along the route.

It's good to plan your destination, but don't make the trip about "getting there before you start having fun".... If you see something, want to stop, then stop, take it in and then get back on the road.... I can't tell you how many things we wanted to see when we first started, but never had time to stop.... Now, we seldom say, "I wish I knew what that was"..... We just "go find out"...

We usually plan our trips with 300 miles per day, then add another day for each two. So if we're planning a 600 mile trip, that's 2 days (plus our extra day) or 3 days. If we're planning an 1800 mile trip, that's 6 days (plus our extra 3 days) or a total of 9 days of driving... Some days, we'll wake up, have breakfast, say to each other, "Nah, let's just rest today" and we'll walk to the campground office and pay for another night. After all, it's in the schedule, why not enjoy the trip rather than push on even though we're tired and wish we could rest.... YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
travelin texans

When 1st retired & started fulltiming an older fellow gave us this advice, you travel 2x2x2, drive 200 miles, stop by 2pm, & stay 2 days, which wasn't a bad way to travel. We did 2/3s of it, never traveled much over 200 miles, nearly always were stopped by 2pm, but moving every other day didn't give enough time to sight see the area, so usually stayed a week. We also vowed to never plan too far ahead as more often than not it didn't work out as planned anyway. Go enjoy the experience, without the pressure to hurry & get there, unless your still employed & on vacation, if you're retired what's the rush.
It doesn't hurt a thing to stay hooked up! We nearly always unhook either to sight see for the evening or to not have to fuel up at the high priced stations on the highway, can usually save 20-30 cents per gallon going into town.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Would also add. If you don't have an electric jack, get one. Makes all the difference in the world and makes putting the equalizer (do you have the 4 point model) bars on the brackets a cinch. You could disconnect, leave your bars on, bungee them parallel to the bumper and then you could go get cheaper gas, a burger, or sight see. Gas is easy to find with the Gas Buddy app.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
CarolS

Yes, thanks, we do have the four point and electric jack. That's an excellent suggestion!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:35 AM   #10
Bisjoe

As it turned out, I disconnected and glad I did, because I ended up having to run to town for a few things. It also makes it a lot easier to get to the other side without having to climb over the hitch or walk all the way around the truck.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
DOWva

As I read all the advice from everyone it certainly makes a lot of sense about seeing vs trying to travel so much each day. Soon my wife and I will headed out on a long trip from Virginia to Seattle down to CA and back to Virginia. Thanks for all the input.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
Hodgy

If you do stay hooked up, place a tag on your steering wheel to do a walk around before you "take off" so you are not collapsing a stabilizer jack.

I know, I know, you should always do a pre-trip safety anyway.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
kjohn

One campground we stayed in, Ft. Nelson, BC, I think it was, I'm pretty sure you had to unhook. Never thought to ask why, but some good reasons posted above.

Electric jacks are great!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
leathermanls

Slides out

My husband wants the camper level before any slides come out. Otherwise, you can leave it hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post
This summer, we're planning to go cross country (FL to WY) in our 25 foot travel trailer (Bullet Premier 22RBPR) pulled by a Nissan Armada with equalizer hitch.

To save time, I'd like to be able to leave the car and camper hitched-up overnight at stops. Planning to stay in pull-thru RV slots that should be fairly level. Is doing this OK overnight? Would it be OK to push out the small dinette slider?

I'm grateful for any tips and advice.

Thanks!

Carol
leathermanls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #15
larryflew

We are the opposite. Now up to a 37 foot 16000 Pound 5th wheel towed by 1 ton GMC and same winter spot for years. Both drive so we go as far as possible. Some days have been as far as 700 miles. One nighters until the 2nd or 3rd night, then an extra resting day. Takes 4 to 5 days from MN to AZ by way oF TX to see a brother. Rarely unhook except for the rest day which also becomes restocking day. Should also mention we started doing this when we stayed home longer in fall due to grand kids and holidays.

Previously we did more stay a few days and less daily travel time until we found our permapark. Now you ask why we don't just buy a place there? Its the people in the park as much as the place. Many same every year people for many years.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
dpankowski

We stop at truck stops, Walmart, or motel parking lots all the time to spend the night for free. Usually leave after work and drive until I'm tired of driving. Spend the night and get to our destination early the next day. We don't disconnect, just drop the landing gear to minimize the bouncing. Make sure it's level for the plumbing and fridge.

Flying J's are friendly to rv's and they'll usually suggest a place to park that's quiet.

2011 Ford F-350 6.7SD Crew cab 8' box factory 5th Wheel hitch package
dpankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
rmhaney

The cable and pull system I have on our Keystone Sprinter 296FWRLS doesn't seem to care if it is live or not. Each slide has rollers for the slide to travel over. I like to stay hitched as well. Walmarts are good unless they are in a town that has codes to prevent overnight parking. I usually ask before I shop. If I can't stay I shop somewhere else. Not going to give tax money to an RV unfriendly town.
rmhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #18
Randallf

Good question, i was wondering the same thing. Were headed to la from WA and we plan on taking 3 days to get there.
good to know the information you received
randy
Sprinter 296fwrls
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #19
CarolS

Many thanks to everyone for the good info!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
Good question, i was wondering the same thing. Were headed to la from WA and we plan on taking 3 days to get there.
good to know the information you received
randy
Sprinter 296fwrls
Hope that's Washington to Los Angeles not Louisiana? If Louisiana that will be 3 VEERRY long days, you wouldn't have time to stop let alone unhook!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch