Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
xrated

How to jack a trailer for a flat tire change??

OK, so I'm pretty new here and I did do a search and still have not found, what to me would be a definitive answer to the question that has been nagging me about my new T.H. It seems that in the hours and hours of reading that I've done on this subject, there is not a clear cut answer and that bugs me. So, I've got some questions (I'm sure they been asked many times before), but that doesn't mean that I'm "in the know" just yet. It seems that the trailer manufacturers will tell you not to lift the trailer by the frame....then the axle folks will tell you not to lift the trailer by the axles. I guess the only other choice is to levitate it up, but I've never been very good with that sort of thing.
So here are a few questions that I have. First, let's lay down some parameters for the trailer in question.

1. Keystone Fuzion Impact 303 Toy Hauler with 7000 lb Dexter axles and EZ lube hubs. The mounting system, as best I can tell is the "Double Eye Leaf Springs". This trailer is a pull behind.
2. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 13K
3. Dry Weight is 9K
4. Hitch weight is 1360 lbs
5. 8 lug wheels with ST235/80R/16E tires
6. Main frames under the trailer are mostly enclosed.
7. Bottom of the 3" diameter axle is approx. 13" from the ground
Hopefully that is more than enough info about what I've got and so, the questions.....

I have a need for some way/method of jacking the trailer up in case of a flat (we all do, right?) I've seen the Anderson Rapid Jack and I am wondering if that method would work for the type of axle setup that is on this trailer. It seems that if you had a flat on let's say the rear and you pulled the trailer's front tire upon the Rapid Jack, the rear might just NOT come off the ground enough to be able to change the tire. Does anyone here have actual experience with that particular item....AND....use it on an axle system like the one that is on the Impact 303?

Next question is in regard to actual jacking up of the trailer with conventional methods....bottle jacks primarily. So I'm looking purchasing a 12 Ton bottle jack and the Safe Jack Recovery kit....or at least some of the items. I simply cannot make myself want to try and lift the trailer/wheel off the ground enough to change a flat by using the frame lift method. I measured my frame to ground distance and I'm seeing approx. 24 1/2". So that's why I'm looking at jacking the axle, and positioning the jack as close to the inside of the wheel as possible, using the cradle that comes with the Safe Jack kit. So, have any of you used not only the bottle jack method on the axle, BUT ALSO the Safe Jack Recovery system parts to help distribute the weight over a larger area of the axle?

What say you .....all you very experienced guys out there?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know that I qualify for "experienced" status on jacking trailers. The only time I've ever had to jack mine off the ground is at home for bearing maintenance, tire rotation or brake adjustment, so mostly I've been fortunate to only need to jack mine off the ground under "ideal conditions in a controlled environment". So far (knock on wood) I've never needed to jack a wheel off the ground on the side of the road, with the trailer leaning, traffic "whizzing by" and on soft, sandy soil or even on "hot, sticky asphalt".

I use a 6 ton bottle jack to lift one axle at a time. If I need both axles off the ground, I still jack the axle, put a jack stand under the frame, remove the jack and then place it under the other axle. I have a "U-shaped steel boot" that I place on the jack ram and position it between the two U bolts that hold the spring pack on the axle.

The Keystone owner's manual and the Lippert axle manual (or Dexter manual) state contradicting information which, for the most part, as you said, indicates "not to use their equipment" but use the "other manufacturer's equipment" so the axle guy says "use the frame" and the frame guy says "use the axle"...

I think, for the most part, since the axle U bolts support the axle/spring assembly at 70 MPH over potholes and gravel road ruts, that same assembly will support the partial weight on that axle in a "static mode" for enough time for me to do "what I have to do"....

I might be wrong, as I said, I've never had to jack my axles off the ground in a "less than ideal situation" so I'm open to the "OH NO!!!" comments on why I'm going to damage something or kill myself "next time".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
notanlines

Re: How to jack a trailer for a flat tire change??

Safety-wise and ease of changing, most definitely jack on the end of the axle, right where the spring is mounted to the axle. Absolutely no reason to buy some "play-pretty" that some inventor came up with. Most seasoned RV'ers that I talk to simply pull the trailer up on four 2x10's with the good tire/axle
and change the tire. When you're done simply drive off.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't know that I qualify for "experienced" status on jacking trailers. The only time I've ever had to jack mine off the ground is at home for bearing maintenance, tire rotation or brake adjustment, so mostly I've been fortunate to only need to jack mine off the ground under "ideal conditions in a controlled environment". So far (knock on wood) I've never needed to jack a wheel off the ground on the side of the road, with the trailer leaning, traffic "whizzing by" and on soft, sandy soil or even on "hot, sticky asphalt".

I use a 6 ton bottle jack to lift one axle at a time. If I need both axles off the ground, I still jack the axle, put a jack stand under the frame, remove the jack and then place it under the other axle. I have a "U-shaped steel boot" that I place on the jack ram and position it between the two U bolts that hold the spring pack on the axle.

The Keystone owner's manual and the Lippert axle manual (or Dexter manual) state contradicting information which, for the most part, as you said, indicates "not to use their equipment" but use the "other manufacturer's equipment" so the axle guy says "use the frame" and the frame guy says "use the axle"...

I think, for the most part, since the axle U bolts support the axle/spring assembly at 70 MPH over potholes and gravel road ruts, that same assembly will support the partial weight on that axle in a "static mode" for enough time for me to do "what I have to do"....

I might be wrong, as I said, I've never had to jack my axles off the ground in a "less than ideal situation" so I'm open to the "OH NO!!!" comments on why I'm going to damage something or kill myself "next time".....
John, thanks for your reply. I agree with most of what you said with the exception of...

"I think, for the most part, since the axle U bolts support the axle/spring assembly at 70 MPH over potholes and gravel road ruts, that same assembly will support the partial weight on that axle in a "static mode" for enough time for me to do "what I have to do".... "

Unless I'm looking at it wrong (certainly possible), the U bolts don't support the axle/spring assembly. The weight of the trailer is pushing down on the spring assemblies which is sitting on top of the axles. Basically, the U bolts are there to hold everything in place. I would say though that if jacking the trailer up at the axle/U bolt junction, the bottle jack needs an adapter on top of the ram (cradle) to help spread the lifting over a larger area, rather than just the tip of the ram.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Safety-wise and ease of changing, most definitely jack on the end of the axle, right where the spring is mounted to the axle. Absolutely no reason to buy some "play-pretty" that some inventor came up with. Most seasoned RV'ers that I talk to simply pull the trailer up on four 2x10's with the good tire/axle
and change the tire. When you're done simply drive off.
The point is, those four 2x10's will give you approx. 6 inches of lift. The Rapid Jack will give you approx. 7-8" of lift. The Rapid lift is around $50 at Amazon (definitely more money than 4 pieces of 2x10 white pine), but the weight savings and space savings when you compare the two different items, make it worthwhile to me to use the Rapid Lift..........IF........That type of lifting will work on the type of trailer axles that I have, and that question still has not been answered.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

When my camper is in tow, I have a small floor jack in the bed of the truck.

When I have to remove a wheel, I jack right under the u-bolts with a 2x4 between the axle and jack. Easy, peasy. Takes about 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The few times I have had to change a tire with traffic whizzing by, I have used the jack under the hood of my truck, and lifted at the spring pack.

At work if we need to inspect one wheel, we use a floor jack and again lift the axle at the spring pack. FWIW, I would rather save the space I have for stuff I want to carry, and use the equipment that came with the TV for tire changes. I did change a rear truck tire with a 36' fiver still hitched up with a 2100 pound king pin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
theeyres

I can say without a doubt that you can make this issue go away with Anderson Rapid Jack. I don't have your rig but I have used it on mine and it works great. If you have two axles it will lift up one tire so you can remove it with no problem. Easiest solution you can find.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
John, thanks for your reply. I agree with most of what you said with the exception of...

"I think, for the most part, since the axle U bolts support the axle/spring assembly at 70 MPH over potholes and gravel road ruts, that same assembly will support the partial weight on that axle in a "static mode" for enough time for me to do "what I have to do".... "

Unless I'm looking at it wrong (certainly possible), the U bolts don't support the axle/spring assembly. The weight of the trailer is pushing down on the spring assemblies which is sitting on top of the axles. Basically, the U bolts are there to hold everything in place. I would say though that if jacking the trailer up at the axle/U bolt junction, the bottle jack needs an adapter on top of the ram (cradle) to help spread the lifting over a larger area, rather than just the tip of the ram.
My take on it, and maybe I'm wrong, but..... I believe that when the axle is bouncing up and down in potholes and/or on a rutted road, the U bolts are being stressed both upward and downward with what is essentially the total weight that's on the specific wheel. The changing direction (G forces) at the ends of the spring travel likely are significantly greater than the actual weight that's on the U bolts when sitting still (static load). So, as the axle travels upward, the U Bolts apply one direction of force on the axle tube, when the axle travels downward, the U bolts apply force on the axle tube in the opposite direction....

So, in my "logic" (for whatever that's worth) jacking the axle with force on the U bolt can't apply more force (weight) than the axle sees from that same U bolt when in a "normal travel condition".....

As I said, maybe I'm wrong, but for 40+ years I've been jacking my trailers using the U bolts with never any problems with an axle (related to damage). Works for me, but maybe not for everyone......

ADDED: Maybe another way to look at it is this, When a tire hits a pot hole or a rut in the road, the force "hammers" the axle downward, then upwards toward the springs with tremendous force. That force is, I believe, significantly greater than the force applied in a "static position" by the jack, assuming the jack applies that force to the U bolts, at the bottom of the axle

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I can say without a doubt that you can make this issue go away with Anderson Rapid Jack. I don't have your rig but I have used it on mine and it works great. If you have two axles it will lift up one tire so you can remove it with no problem. Easiest solution you can find.
Earl, thank you for the response.......that sounds really encouraging and makes me hopeful.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
xrated

John.....after reading your post #9 ^^^, it does make sense to me and I'd say you are probably right. I have a lot to learn with the RV lifestyle and realistically, I'm kind of happy that I've got several months (over the wintertime) to kind of work my way through some of these issues that I'm encountering instead of jumping right into it in the springtime when it's time to load the bikes up and head off to the racetrack and be mostly unprepared.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
John.....after reading your post #9 ^^^, it does make sense to me and I'd say you are probably right. I have a lot to learn with the RV lifestyle and realistically, I'm kind of happy that I've got several months (over the wintertime) to kind of work my way through some of these issues that I'm encountering instead of jumping right into it in the springtime when it's time to load the bikes up and head off to the racetrack and be mostly unprepared.
X2. I don't think that there has been a time that I've taken my trailers out that I did not learn something new. What I've learned is that what I did at the time was right for me and that situation........but, there are other ways, some better and some worse, to do things. Spring cannot come soon enough to start learning some more stuff.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #13
xrated

I'm with ya Chip, I absolutely hate winter.....that is one of the primary reasons I moved south 10+ years ago.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #14
xcntrk

This is an easy one, you just lower the hydraulic jacks on that side

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:48 AM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post

Very nice.....and if you would be so kind as to provide your address for me, I'd be more than happy to remove those " unsightly" appendages from your beautiful trailer.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #16
jsmith948

Just put a jack under the axle at the u-bolts. Dexter's prohibition on jacking the axles has to do with some dummy at a tire shop jacking the trailer at the middle of the axle (which, of course, bends said axle).
No way would I try to jack a trailer by the frame. Way too high in the air, especially along the shoulder of the road or on soft, uneven ground.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Just put a jack under the axle at the u-bolts. Dexter's prohibition on jacking the axles has to do with some dummy at a tire shop jacking the trailer at the middle of the axle (which, of course, bends said axle).
No way would I try to jack a trailer by the frame. Way too high in the air, especially along the shoulder of the road or on soft, uneven ground.
I agree. My trailer is not nearly as heavy but still, I've removed the tires by placing a bottle jack under the u-bolts, one axle at a time. You're right, the static stresses on the axle at that lift point are minimal, especially when the adjacent axle is supporting much of the weight.

Using the frame, it would be a safety hazard with a bottle jack and a wood base on the road's shoulder.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I agree with you. If you are along side road with 18 wheelers going by rocking the 5er I won't even attempt to use a bottle jack. Last summer there is one in the shop with nice hole thought the floor and side when it fell after being rocked by 18 wheeler. I know a lot people say don't do it but when you use auto level watch the suspension and you will see that the suspension unload and it really just hanging off the 5er and the weights is on the jacks.

In the real world I have gotten to the point in my life that a phone call to Coach Net is much better solutions to changing a tire along side the road.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #19
xcntrk

In all seriousness, I carry a bottle jack in my truck tool box which I attached a cradle head specifically for axle lifts. It's a fixed weld on unit and supports various axle sizes. Makes lifting with a bottle jack much safer, easier, and quicker. Not all my trailers have hydraulic lifts

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #20
jeff57

I have one of these, which I haven't had to use on the road only in the driveway working on the bearings or rotating tires. Works great, is light weight and doesn't take up much space.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-P...001V8UKBO?th=1
Previous: 2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 w/3.5 EcoBoost; 2014 Laredo 274RB

jeff57 is offline   Reply With Quote