Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
RK1978

Cold(er) weather travel

We are planning on traveling from home (WC Indiana) after harvest and visiting family in the Carolinas. I have read about the methods to winterize the water lines, but our question is what do people do when traveling during the colder months? Keep everything drained until in warmer areas, then winterize again when leaving for the north? It would be nice to use the plumbing in the trailer while traveling to/from warmer areas, but if there is no practical way of doing that, then we won't. Thanks in advance for ideas/opinions.
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Bowti

Re: Cold(er) weather travel

We keep our unit winterized if in freezing weather, until we get to the warmer climate. We then winterize again if heading into a freezing climate. I can winterize my unit in about 15 minutes for about $7 (3 gallons of antifreeze on sale).

We don't find it necessary to use the plumbing while traveling as we stop often and only travel short distances each day.

We are also most likely different than most, as we motel it if traveling in freezing weather. Comfort at the end of the day of traveling is a main concern and opening up a frozen ice cube is not my idea of comfort. I much prefer a warm bed and motel room, preferably one with good food within walking distance and maybe even a pool to relax by with a cool drink in my hand.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Re: Cold(er) weather travel

We travel in cold and freezing temps. And do not winterize during travel. Because we do stop and use the trailer toilets, maybe eat lunch, take a nap etc. as we travel. The heater comes on if stopped for more than afew mins. My opinion is we are not allowing the trailer to be cold long enough to cause problems. I will say that while hunting in Nov and Dec. We leave the trailer before sun up and may not return until after dark. We found that we needed to leave the heater on or freeze problems happen. That means running a genny every night or batteries fail.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote