Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
schwalbach

Tekonsha Voyager Vs. P3

My boy needs a brake controller for his new old 2003 Dodge truck he recently purchased, so it gives me a good reason to upgrade my Tekonsha Voyager brake controller and give him the old one. had it for several vehicles and 20 years.

Did a quick search here and internet and the Tekonsha P3 was highly rated and have 2 weeks till next trip, so I ordered a Tekonsha P3.

I pull several different trailers of varying weight, a 2 horse bumper (loaded and unloaded), 4 horse Gooseneck with living quarters (loaded and unloaded) and a 5th wheel Laredo camper and been burning the brakes up on the Dodge because the Voyager never seemed adjusted right for the varying loads, some days like Saturday switching trailers several times in one day. The P3 lets me have 5 different presets so once set up should allow for quick changes.

Now the million dollar question, did I jump too fast to order the P3? Will I notice the difference from the old Voyager to the P3? And do the presets work like I am hoping? Patiently waiting for it to come to see if I did the right thing!

Any tips to set it up, seems to be straightforward in setting presets.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Either the P2 or the P3 will be light years ahead of the Voyager. As far as how the presets work, I can't say, I never tried using them.

I'm sure there are people here that have used the presets and can give you a review.

Your son and I have the same truck!

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
{tpc}

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, probably because I haven't spent enough time using my P3. On the P3 there are 3 "boost" settings I believe that you could change on the fly. I don't think that is typically how you do it though. Pretty sure you pick what kind of setup you have (graphical on screen) and then dial it in. All the boost settings do is make the voltage come on sooner and higher depending on what setting you choose. I think it also may affect how much "holding" voltage there is (when stopped at a light or something).

It is really easy to dial in though and make adjustments while driving.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
SchafferFamily

I have both. The Voyager is what we started with and is still connected in our Van. It works well and is pretty easy to setup and use with the dials for leveling and gain.

The P3 is really nice. Simple adjustments and easy to see screen. Different camper vs trailer, no problem, just select your preferred setting and save for that profile so you don't have to set it up each time like you would for the Voyager.

Has a lot of settings and features that I haven't used yet, but I'm sure they will come in handy when I figure them out!

2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Passport 217exp
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote