Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
Bossman

2015 Denali towing Terrain 230TRS

Newbie here making decision on a trailer. Although we are completely new to RVing, I'm trying to avoid the newbie errors of towing too much with an SUV. I've read a great deal on this site and others about mfg stated limits, capacities, and also on issues relating to wheelbase vs. trailer length. We are a family of four, with the kids at ages 3 and 5. I'm a cautious person and I'm not interested in pushing the limits. I know the standard answer is "buy a pickup", but I'd like to avoid doing so. Please read the entire info the follows before forming an opinion.

We'd like a comfortable trailer that we can use for camping with the kids, state and natl park visits, college football tailgates, and hunting and fishing. Have our eye an a 2015 Outback Terrain because it's a very versatile trailer with the multipurpose front room: bunk beds, bicycle or hunting gear storage, can be converted to a TV room for the kids, or a card game room for the adults on a rainy night at fishing camp. No plans to use RV toy hauler for ATV or any other heavy equipment.

Trailer specs are as follows:

Shipping Weight 5075
Carrying Capacity 2425
Hitch 555
Length 27' 0"
We'd plan on adding 1000 to 1200 lbs of gear for a fully loaded trailer.

Also about to order a 2015 Yukon Denali with the 116" wheelbase and trailering package. Specs are:

Horsepower @ RPM 420 @ 5600
Torque @ RPM 460 @ 4100
Curb Weight (lbs.) 5746.00 lbs
Max Payload (lbs.) 1554.00 lbs
GVWR (lbs.) 7300.00 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.) 8500 lbs

Our numbers put us at about 6100 lbs with the trailer full, 650 lbs on the hitch with a properly loaded trailer, 400 lbs total for family of four, and maybe another 100 lbs of payload in TV.

I think we're easily under the 80% rule on the weights. My plan would be to add a ProPride hitch to avoid any potential issues with the length. The $3k hitch is much cheaper than another truck.

I've had 4 Denalis in the past and I'm set on another one for issues of versatility for business, family, towing, etc.

Your thoughts on the TV and Trailer safety?
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Some thoughts:

Your hitch weight projection seems optimistic. If dry hitch is 555 if you add the weight of propane and a battery (not sure if they were included in the dry weight; probably not) you are looking at about 655 - dry. If you go by the standard 12-15% for tongue weight you are probably looking at 5075 + 100 (propane/battery(s) + 1100 cargo=6275. 12% of that = 753lbs. 15%=981lbs. What class of hitch is on the Denali; what are its specs? Hopefully it will give you up to 1000lbs with a WDH.

Payload for the vehicle is 1554. If you add your projected 400 for people and 100 for cargo plus 981 for the tongue weight = 1481lbs. In reality you will probably carry more than 100lbs; in my experience once you get started in all of this it will likely be 3-400 lbs. Plus your kids are 3&5. They grow very quickly at their age and if you plan to keep the rig any length of time your 400lb projection will get much larger very quickly.

You don't say, and I didn't find, the GCVWR of the vehicle but it might be close as well.

Just a few thought for your consideration. I don't think you will have the 20% margin you are looking for. The engine will be more than capable and the hitch will help the short wheelbase a lot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Bossman

Thanks for your thoughts.

It would be a class IV receiver. I think your estimate of 12% is correct if we properly load the trailer and spread the weight front to back.

I understand the issue of the GCWR but couldn't find the rating anywhere. Maybe someone on here can chime in if they have the Denali short wheelbase? I believe it's 14,000 lbs.

So the trailer with propane, battery, and cargo at 6,200 lbs. The TV dry is 5746, plus fuel of 200, plus passengers of 400. That puts us at 12,500 for the GCVW.

I think we can maintain the tongue weight at 750-800 lbs max., so we'll be bumping 1400-1500 lbs on total payload.

If I were to purchase an F-150 SCrew with the EcoBoost I'd gain 100 lbs on the payload capacity. Not sure that is worth it, and I'm sure there are many people out there towing this trailer with an F-150. Probably answers my question that we're OK as long as we pay attention to cargo weight and spreading it.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
C130

I'm not going to give any advice on the weight but will say make sure this is the trailer and vehicle you intend to keep for several years as the kids get older. It's much cheaper in the long run to get what you want to start with whether it's your first choice right now or not. I have a brother and sister in law that bought a camper for their tow vehicle at the time which was a joke. They traded vehicles but now the kids are no longer babies and the trailer is way too small so they never use it. They bought it new and owe way more than it's worth so it just sits most of the year. My suggestion, do it right the first time and save any hassles later. If you ever want to get a bigger trailer then you will need a bigger trailer and truck.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
therink

I second what previous poster said. Buy your third trailer first if you can. This mean look ahead 3 to 5 years and ask yourself what your camping situation will be. Maybe your kids bring friends. The older kids get, the heavier the toys get.
With the trailer you described, you are marginally at the max I would want to tow with the Yukon. Nothing is worse than pushing a tow vehicle to its limits. It sounds to me you are approaching 3/4 ton Denali crew cab HD territory. I have a new Denali 1 ton HD and it is awesome.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
BirchyBoy

Would you consider an SLT vs the Denali? The payload you mentioned seems low for that large of an SUV; I'm curious if it is related to the running gear (full time AWD) or all of the extras the Denali comes with.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Another thought to my post above.

Payload for the vehicle was 1554 and the optimistic number for payload I gave was 1481. I forgot the weight of the WDH so add another 100lbs or so to the total payload = 1581, which is over; the weak point of very 1/2 ton class vehicle. Add in the kids' weight as they grow and the overage just gets larger. Something to ponder.

I know you said you didn't want to push the limits and were a cautious person. You also mentioned there are folks pulling things like this with 1/2 tons....and there are. The 6.2 probably has enough cojones to pull the frame right out from under the trailer, but it doesn't have anything to do with the construction of the vehicle, its chassis or suspension.

I know you love the Denali's and understand why. My neighbor buys a new one every year and we like our SUV's as well, but, he and I both have 3/4 and one ton trucks for towing because of this situation.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Bossman

As I reread this, I think that fuel is included in the curb weight for the truck.

That would put us at 1300 lbs payload, vs the 1550 limit.

Thanks for the input everyone, and I agree that a larger truck would be better. So would a Mack truck.

I don't desire a larger trailer, and I understand the point about the kids growing and relatives/friends etc. I built my house and bought a vacation home with those things in mind. And then I realized I'm floating the bill for everyone else's entertainment. They can buy a 3500HD and a 43ft 5er, and take me on vacation.

As I do all the weight calcs, the payload will be the limiting factor at slightly over the 80% rule (83%) but still well within the ratings of the vehicle.

We'll be sure to get the ProPride and a good brake controller.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Your initial post said your mind was made up about a Denali but you were cautious and wanted to be sure. No one mentioned a Mack truck and a 3/4 ton certainly isn't anywhere close. You implied you wanted information to either confirm your decision or ?

Having a vacation home (I had 3, now 2) and thinking you are paying for everyone's vacation is going to happen in an RV as well unless you just tell them to get lost. If you have entertained them in your ownerships in the past they will look for it in the RV.....I know.

The Denali will pull the trailer. Your closing statement was " your thoughts on the TV and trailer safety". You will be over your payload.....obviously you have to draw your own conclusions about safety from that; and you have.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Bossman

Thanks for your reply sourdough. I really do appreciate your thoughts, even though my post may not have seemed that way.

I do have my mind made up on the truck. I'd rather back off on the trailer than to upsize the TV.

So with that in mind, and with the thought that payload is likely the limiting factor, what is the maximum payload you'd put on a TV with a rating of 1550 lbs? And what number do you consider "pushing the envelope"?

That may help me size my trailer accordingly while avoiding the larger truck and trailer conversation. I know you guys are speaking from experience, some of us need to learn the hard way. While doing so, I prefer to keep me and my family and everyone else on the road safe.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
zuley

Bossman, if I may be allowed to offer my 2 cents worth here. From what I read you are set on your vehicle choice. Beautiful vehicle BTW. I agree with the previous posters that you are close to the edge as far as weight restrictions go. We did the same a few years back. I purchased a TT after doing the math and believing myself that I was within the safe limits of my TV. One trip and I was purchasing myself a truck. Fortunately I work for a dealership and it was somewhat painless. My wife to this day says I had intentions of a truck all along, which btw was not the case.
Have you considered or ever looked at the Hybrid style of campers. A couple of the manufacturers have a 23 foot box with 3 opening or sleeping bunks. Something of this nautre would probably weigh in 1200 pounds less than what you are currently looking at and be within the safe limits of your tow vehivle.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Bossman

Zuley,

Thank you for the constructive feedback. Something we'll consider. I think we'd rather a 100% hard side, but we'll think through our seasonal use and if your suggestion will work.

We'll also consider hard side trailers in the weight class you suggest.

I'm trying to figure out how much payload we'll be comfortable towing with our TV from the input of the experienced folks. From that we'll back into the trailer we can tow (pun intended).
Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Bossman = it's late and we are in FL taking care of my daughter after surgery. Give me a bit to look at numbers and see what might work. You have a great vehicle....it's not a great towing vehicle and you just have to pair what you have. I have to leave at 5:30 in the am to take my girl to her doctor. When we are done and have taken care of the family's needs I'll try to get back....probably tomorrow afternoon. I, as a camper owner/tow person, really appreciate your open attitude.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #14
Bossman

Our thoughts and best wishes for your daughter first and your family second. Trying times I'm sure.

I bet I can learn more from you than towing.

Hope the days ahead bring success and joy for all.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 AM   #15
Goingfor9

on the weight issue your over payload but it's not by very much if at all due to calculating the exact percentage of your tongue weight. If my first TV had been that close I still would have it. As for the pro pride hitch I will say it is a great hitch and you will love it. Takes all the sway out of the TT and makes it drives nice and smooth behind you.
Goingfor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Bossman - sorry for the slow reply but we've been very busy.

In your situation with a 1550 payload, I would optimally want to stay 2-300 lbs. under the max. Pushing the envelope to me is maxed out. Make sure your payload is 1550; look at the sticker inside the driver door. Take the GVW of the truck from the sticker and weigh the truck; at times the truck will have add ons that make a big difference and your payload might be less than it says.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
RGene7001

I was about to say "go ahead" but decided to look at the trailer floorplan first. Formulas are garbage. You have on your hitch what you have in the trailer, depending WHERE you put it. In my case it is very easy to balance, all the stuff is distributed equally and bikes hang on the back. There is little or no chance I will have more than 650 lb with half tank of water. I can put 4 people in somewhat smaller Merc and still be OK. However, you expect to have some use of the storage room or garage, whatever you want to call it. And this room is up front. And I dont see any storage directly above or behind the asles. If you put, lets say, 700-800 lb out of 1200 in this room your hitch weight will skyrocket to 1100 or 1200 and I dont even know where is the fresh water tank in this trailer. You are totally fine with overall size and weight of the trailer, you may want to look for more conventional floorplan. Or keep this storage room empty or loaded with very light items.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote