Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
jeremybflint

Equalizer or Blue Ox?

So I'm doing my research on W/D hitches. Towing a 2015 Summerland 3030 BHGS, (dry weight 7100 lbs) with a 2013 Ram Sport, 5.7 HEMI with tow package, 3.55 gears, Bilstein 5100's and Airlift 1000's. General RV in Mt. Clemens, MI will be setting me up. I'm trying to decide between Equalizer and Blue Ox. To me, the Equalizer looks like the more solid hitch, (no chains) but they both have their fans. I know the whole "which hitch is better" argument is normally futile but I'd like some honest opinions on some of you that have maybe used both and have some pros and cons. For the record, 95% of the time my TT will be set up on my 1 acre lot in Gladwin with full sewer, well, and electric hook-ups, so I will not be hauling water and a lot of cargo back and forth. All opinions appreciated, BRING ON SUMMER!!!
jeremybflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

I love my Equalizer. It's my first WDH and it does an awesome job. I'm sure you'll have others say they love their Blue Ox.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've had chain WDHs with the attached sway controls in the past but not the Blue Ox. Comparing my Equalizer to what I used to have is night and day. I go with Equalizer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
GaryWT

I love my equil I zer hitch, have never had anything else. How often and far will you be towing? Have you compared total trailer weight and total tongue weight verses tow capacity and payload of the truck?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
ggrant119

Reese dual cam is my choice. I read hours of posts on this site and others and the general rule I got was the Reese is to hard to adjust. I just picked up my TT, 774 miles away. . I made 2 adjustments in the first 15 miles of highway driving and I couldn't believe how nice it was to tow.

The TT dealer salesman tried to sell me the Equal-i-zer..... after I spoke with the service Rep his quote was (it's easier to sell them because it's "brainless", when we sell the dual cam we get stupid calls all day saying "what nut do I tighten again??? Do I go to the left or right??? My tool set doesn't have a wrench that big???!!! Can I borrow yours??? he said the calls were endless!!!)

What I can say is this site had me worried sick, the hairs on the back of my neck standing up kinda.. sick. I don't get rattled easy....I work in law enforcement in a high stress environment ...but I felt I made the worst reckless decisions of my life all because I was "AT THE LIMITS of my half ton truck".

My Reese dual cam WDH is a adjusted to my towing set-up and I couldn't be happier. The truck felt squirrelly and unpredictable when being passed or passing. After I adjusted the cams and got on the right chain link its stable and comfortable to handle.

My choice of hitch was most influenced by talking to the guys at etrailer.com. He said having used both, sold both - sold most of them on market, even went as far as compared it to Hensley hitch and He owns a Reese Dual Cam.

My thought was if I purchased the Equal-i-zer there is very little to adjust to make it handle better if I did in fact "make the biggest mistake"...

This just my 2C.. best of luck... feel free to message me...
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
GaryWT

So the rail I zer is brainless and the Reese no one knows how to work and you have to call the dealer? My eqeal I zer is very easy tune in and tighten up and does a great job. Easy to connect each weekend as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not going to start a "mine is better than your's" thing on hitches. To each his own. The rep that said the equalizer doesn't adjust doesn't know what he's talking about. I've had to adjust mine to 3 trucks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
larry337

I have a 5 year old Blue OX sway pro 1000. Worked great for me. You can buy it for $250.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
donnie_o8

We also use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and its working well. Far better then the Reese I had with the friction sway bar. No comparing the two....but that's just me..
We need a bigger truck!!

donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
ggrant119

Sounds like we have them all covered!... I'm just thankful they make it nice to tow these big boxes down the highway to get to the next adventure!
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
GaryWT

I agree that there are plenty of great ones out there and as long as they work... No different than us all having different trailers. The one turn off I have whether buying a car, trailer or a hitch, sell me on what I am looking at without bad mouthing the competition. I was looking at a Sunset Trail once and all the salesman could talk about was how more Passports are sold which did not make sense to him as he thought they were junk. But, what is good about the Sunset Trail....
Old 03-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #12
Hercules1978

Another satisfied SwayPro owner here. Had it on 3 different tow vehicles and 2 different trailers. Simple to adjust and set up.

My cousin has one as well.

I really enjoy the grease less bars. The new SwayPro's have been redesigned to be even simpler to use with the preset head angle.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:43 AM   #13
jeremybflint

Well, I went with the Equalizer 4-point. All good info from you guys, and thank you, but in the end I just had to pick one!!!
jeremybflint is offline   Reply With Quote