Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 AM   #21
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I don't like mice either, and can smell them when I walk into somewhere they've been, and most likely, you have them in your house too. I have to be careful, as I can walk into someone's house and tell right away and have to be careful not to blurt outloud, "you have mice". I'm always surprised many people can't smell them, their feces and urine.

Follow the great advice here, and try all these tips. I didn't see anyone mention sticky traps, but they are great too, but just like the snap traps, check them frequently. Some people don't like that the mice may still be alive when they check them, and dead mice smell too!

Last year, we had mice chew through the wiring for our house AC - thanks for the $200 repair bill, and they also chewed the wiring on my garden tractor.
Thanks for some ants tips. Pmedic my son in law had mice chew through his 120v main wiring from the plug in junction box to convertor(junction box) on his last camper. Nothing like a repair while on a camping trip. we had to buy wire and route from the back end of camper to the main junction box. talk about a pain... I Can't imagine a house or AC having the same thing.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:00 AM   #22
BlueThunder34

Thanks all for the replies and advice Yes, I know I was overreacting I guess it was more disappointment that this had to happen before our first trip. We were so excited to take our brand new trailer out for the first time, you know new, never used, clean, untouched this just put a bit of a damper on it all. Oh well such is life, I know its all part of the game with being in the outdoors but dang give me just a few times to enjoy that new trailer smell without the worry of having to catch a rodent We still had a great time out on the Oregon Coast and the kids had an absolute blast, nothing can beat making those memories. So far no more signs of intruders for now, today im geared up to seal up entry points, set traps, etc the best I can to "prevent" a new resident.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:22 AM   #23
Scttw

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Thanks all for the replies and advice Yes, I know I was overreacting I guess it was more disappointment that this had to happen before our first trip. We were so excited to take our brand new trailer out for the first time, you know new, never used, clean, untouched this just put a bit of a damper on it all. Oh well such is life, I know its all part of the game with being in the outdoors but dang give me just a few times to enjoy that new trailer smell without the worry of having to catch a rodent We still had a great time out on the Oregon Coast and the kids had an absolute blast, nothing can beat making those memories. So far no more signs of intruders for now, today im geared up to seal up entry points, set traps, etc the best I can to "prevent" a new resident.

I feel for you ...... I had a mouse problem this year in our brand new Alpine. They got all the way into my attic - running around from one end of the trailer to the other at night ....... OMG you have absolutely NO IDEA how *upset* I was. Basically once they get into the belly - they can access the basement - once they access the basement they can get into the walls and regardless if people say thay can't ..... trust me they can get into the attic from there.

First step is to block off all access which you have done ..... I spray-foamed and steel wooled everything and every where. In the belly there were lots of places I could get my finger in, and if you can - they can crawl right through and set up camp.

second step is to catch them all - because now they are trapped in the trailer ...... I ended up catching 14 mice in about 4 weeks. Most of them were caught in the HUGE storage room attached to the furnace-room/basement. I used cheese-wiz but I'm sure peanut butter is just as good if not better. After I got through this process the last 4 weeks of the year in my trailer was totally quiet - free of rodents. They NEVER got in the inside of the trailer - only in the walls and attic. It was a VERY frustrating time but it's all good now and it will be for you too.

I'm full time parked so I i ended up bating the outside and caught another few mice - but most were caught in the basement.

Enjoy

80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #24
Jim & DJ

Mice

You didn't say if you have a travel trailer or whatever. On any kind of trailer make sure you use the steel wool, (the Brass kind) around the power cord at the entry point.

Most of us have been there/done that. Good luck

Just realized these posts were from last March...Oh well, info is still good
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

This is an old thread but I thought I would add another thought in addition to my post from 3/14.

The fear of hantavirus is warranted but shouldn't be an overriding fear. Just follow the precautions I listed and all should be fine. One other thing to consider is this; although only certain kinds of mice carry hantavirus, virtually all mice can carry various viruses. I got infected because I was hard headed and went ahead and swept up a building INFESTED with mice then sealed it up. I did not follow any of the safety protocols that I should have even though I had all the items sitting in the back seat of my company car. About 7 days later, I became very ill and thought I had hantavirus. I agonized daily over what I had done to myself and my family.

I was fortunate in the fact that the doctor I found had worked with the CDC to initially identify hantavirus and knew what to look for. I did not have hantavirus but I did have a severe virus of unknown origin. He advised that ALL mice can carry different viruses and you can contract them by doing just what I did. Just be aware of that. If the area is severely infested and there are large traces of feces/urine be absolutely sure that you wet it down with a disinfectant before sweeping it up. Again, it doesn't have to be a mouse that carries hantavirus, or hantavirus, to get seriously ill from mice. No reason to be phobic about it, just take the necessary precautions.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #26
BlueThunder34

Talking

Thanks guys. I had caught a total of 2 mice during that time period I originally posted. At that time I spent hours with steel wool, black duct tape, and a can of great stuff insulation. I took all panels off that I could on the interior and foamed or steel wool anywhere I thought a critter may enter, then went around and under the trailer and did the same. I'm sure they could still find an entrance that I missed, but so far no more furry friends have made an appearance or left evidence behind. I leave glue traps and snap traps out when in storage and check it weekly between trips. I guess I didn't have a true infestation, but 1 is too many for me! I wore an N95 mask,gloves and thourghly cleaned the entire trailer. Also went over the trailer with a black light inside just to double check all evidence not visible was cleaned up.. A little over the top? Maybe, but after working in the hospital for 15 years I have seen some nasty things that bad viruses can do to a person. I'd rather be safe than sorry with the family.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #27
yocsr

Mice / Critters

Read some interesting thoughts. Not everyone likes the smell but we always throw mothballs under ours. Mice, raccoons and other critters will stay away. At home when they harvest the fields mice run rampent. I put them in garage, sheds, around exterior of house and have no mice. Before I did this I couldn't keep them out of sheds. We were camping and had raccoons get in our bass boat under the road cover. I pulled the cover off to put the boat in and found the whole interior covered with muddy foot prints and a pile of crap in the middle of carpet. I cleaned up the mess and thru mothballs under the boat and have never had it again. Good Luck.
yocsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #28
Pull Toy

I inspect every opening into the living spaces, and stuff every spot with aluminum foil or steel wool. Critters hate that. Look especially hard at plumbing access, as this is a really big hole.

As also mentioned, Bounce fabric sheets work well, but keep them fresh. When they stop smelling, they make good mouse bedding material. LOL

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #29
jimbari

Some great tips here on mice.
We have owned in the woods RV Community for 37 years, had our share of mice, for sure. My wife is chair of the Kitchen Committee, our community building has great facilities, including its share of mice....until last year. She used cotton balls saturated with Peppermint essential oil placed in "suspect" areas. This spring = NONE!
The staff had "foamed" all openings around pipe openings etc. several years before, to no avail. But the Peppermint did the trick. She made believers of many.
Good luck.
jimbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #30
Bushman512000

Wink Ants or mice

Mickey Mouse dis like mothballs I use a few under the trailer but replace them as needed about 4 weeks get the Mice before they get in ....Ants also dis like baby powder add this to the setting up of Your camp around the Legs and tires not a lot just a bit ants will not cross it replace after a rain or wash away...cheep insurance doller store power is good and cheep
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #31
RavensFan24

I haven't actually seen a mouse in our trailer, but ours is brand new as well and on one of our first outings I found a peanut shell on the floor behind the recliners. As I was installing my new Fantastic Fan and running wires through the ceiling I saw another peanut shell. I have to figure there was a mouse hanging out in there while this trailer was being built. It was manufactured Jan 18 2015 and it was delivered to me Feb 4, so it certainly wasn't sitting on any lot for too long.

We're outdoors, mice are outdoors. Just get the bugger out and have the dealer seal everything up. If there is damage and you picked it up with that issue, you should be able to have them take care of it for you.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Share...205_164040.jpg
RavensFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #32
KSH

Probably a hungry worker. .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #33
byrdr1

Funny to read this, this morning. I haven't been in my camper in over a week. I came out this morning to chill. Looking around I see what looks like a mouse dropping. WHAT?? Start looking around some more I find more droppings so after almost 5 years first sign in our camper. I will be working hard today to get the critter. It sucks but its life, the weather has been very hot so i guess they are looking for coolness(I keep AC on 80) and food. There is no food since we came back from the beach and we had the ant invasion.
Would a bug bomb work on them?

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #34
txbowhunter

Where are you guys stuffing the steel wool? I'm new to RV'ing. We have a Keystone Cougar with Artic package. We had a few mice in the trailer this weekend. We only get out to our camper every few weeks. I out the Tom Cat mouse poison/bait stations out and seem to have more mice than before! I will take out some traps and Great Stuff when I head back in 2 weeks. Lots of good info here. I'll also try the bay leaves. Where all should I stuff steel wool and where all should I spray Great Stuff. Any help for a Newbie is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

If you can find some Cab Fresh, it works up here better than any trap or poison I've used. Smells like fir trees and isn't poison, so no issues with pets or with kids getting into it. A couple of bags (they come 4 to a box) in the storage compartments and a couple on the interior and you shouldn't have any mice for the next 3-4 months.

As for where to stuff steel wool, if you can find copper wool, it won't rust and make stains on your RV. Pack it into any opening in the underbelly then seal the openings with foam.

I think doing a thorough seal job is something that's necessary whether or not you have mice, but they will still find a way in if they're determined. The Cab Fresh will discourage them even if you leave the door wide open, you won't find any mice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #36
txbowhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you can find some Cab Fresh, it works up here better than any trap or poison I've used. Smells like fir trees and isn't poison, so no issues with pets or with kids getting into it. A couple of bags (they come 4 to a box) in the storage compartments and a couple on the interior and you shouldn't have any mice for the next 3-4 months.

As for where to stuff steel wool, if you can find copper wool, it won't rust and make stains on your RV. Pack it into any opening in the underbelly then seal the openings with foam.

I think doing a thorough seal job is something that's necessary whether or not you have mice, but they will still find a way in if they're determined. The Cab Fresh will discourage them even if you leave the door wide open, you won't find any mice.

Thank you! I ordered some this evening

Old 11-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #37
txbowhunter

Looks like I got rid of the majority of mice in my camper. I have not seen any droppings or sign on the inside of my camper in nearly 2 months. The only exception would be in the furnace vents in the floor. I'm going to take the vents off any clean out. I'm curious where and how the would be getting in the vents. I have a Cougar 29 BHS.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

If you see mouse droppings in the floor heat ducts, it go there by mice "doing their business" over the duct and droppings fell in OR: The mice got into your basement (underbelly) area and chewed through the ducting and "set up housekeeping" in the ducting. If they were in the underbelly and chewed into the ducting, you'll lose heat through the holes they created. The may not be a "bad thing" if you camp in colder weather because it will mean more heat closer to the tanks. That is, if you still have sufficient air flow through all the floor ducts. Either way, I'd make sure all the "mouse stuff" is out of the ducting before turning on the furnace, blowing that stuff into the cabin and breathing it. There's no telling what diseases might be blown into your trailer.

I suppose the only "sure way" to know what you've got is to remove the ducts, clean out what you can, turn on the furnace and see what happens. If you get a "mouse smell" or "dusty stuff" blowing around, I'd pull some of the coroplast and see what your ducting looks like. Remember, it's only "dryer vent hose" so it's pretty easy for them to chew through and follow the trails to where they can find food.

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #39
banjo1948

Living up in the forest each summer for 7 months...I had my share of mice....try lots of things.....from Irish Spring soap chips to peppermint oil...mice traps...mice bait....some seem to work for a while....the Cab Fresh seemed to work the best.....

2010 Keystone Cougar 326MKS, 2003 Ford Super Duty 7.3LT
banjo1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #40
monica4patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott24 View Post
We use Fresh Cab. All natural and works great. The rodents don't like the smell so they stay away.
We've had great success with Fresh Cab until this winter. Still a strong smell on opening up but evidence of mice.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote