Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
Watt

Purchased a Rand McNally 7720 last year and used it on a 6,000+ mile trip last summer. Pros: 7 inch screen is easy to read & navigate, lifetime map updates, upcoming intersection/exit feature makes lane changes easier, alternate route comparisons, wifi compatible. Cons: sun glare can be a problem, has taken us down a paved farm road when a major highway was nearby.

Overall we like the unit, but still carry an atlas and Next Exit. I've learned to compare the selected route to the atlas to ensure I'm on roads I'm comfortable with.
Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Home on my GPS is set for the Police Department/City Jail... I thought it might be funny to watch if it were stolen and used to find my house.
Too funny! I almost ruined my computer with some Pepsi when I read this! But I'm going to remember and do the same thing when we get a GPS...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #23
Larry1013

I have run into similar with the Nav unit in my truck. When exits and other opportunities to turn are almost on top of each other, I have turned too soon or too late and ended up on the wrong or adjacent street. Ford did have a problem with some earlier year trucks where the vehicle icon was as much as 1/4" away from the road being traveled.

I have looked at the Rand McNally 7720 and 7725 (Camping World) but just can't justify the expense just yet.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #24
webslave

Over the years I've learned not to take the "word" of any single GPS unit (I've got 12 if you count an assortment of handheld types).

Stating the above, my truck (Dodge Long Horn) came with the Chrysler Corp's NavTeq powered unit. While it is pretty accurate, it doesn't have much in the way of customization for RVing and is a pain to try and reprogram (it won't do much while in motion; requiring a stop to access all of the functions. It also won't easily load an entire trip. So... We have a Rand Good Sam unit that sits on the dash right above the NavTeq unit. It is readily customizable for our 5th wheel, I can plan out a long, intricate trip using the Good Sam site's software and download onto the unit and use its "sections" to program the NavTeq in the truck each morning. The Rand also has an easy to load POI system (POIs are available for almost everything), something else the NavTeq is weak on. With both of them running, we can quickly spot discrepancies in a route and investigate with the old standby road Atlas. The Rand is pretty good at letting us know where the most suitable diesel stations are and the advance pictures of interchanges and route changes has been a lifesaver on several occasions.

Is there a "perfect" GPS unit? No. They all have their issues and quirks, but, running the two of them together minimizes the "mistakes" or "misrouting" and has saved our bacon enough times to make it worth our while both in time and expense. Lifetime maps on the Rand, and it pains me every couple of years to pay $200 for updates on the NavTeq unit. The Good Sam site's software is easy to use, very adaptable and loads perfectly to the Rand. That's what works for us.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote