Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Ram189

How do you think the dealer broke the axle or hanger or whatever moving it around the lot.
Probably never got over 5 mph and most likely never moved more the 200 yards.

Just because they moved it last does not make them responsible for the entire well being of the trailer.

I feel for you but they are no more responsible than you are. Find out what happened to it before you start blaming people. Sounds like it is a fairly common occurance from the posts here.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
bmach

You seem very sure that the dealer broke your trailer you even posted this,
"There was a major mechanical failure that happened while the RV was in the exclusive possession and control of the dealer. The failure that led to the axle breaking loose did not happen while I was towing it, it happened at the dealer."

What I want to know is, how do you know that it was broken at the dealer and if you knew they had broken it, why did you drive it?
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #23
Javi

Well this old fool thinks its sour grapes.

I'm sorry for his ill fortune, but call BS on blaming the dealer for not inspecting the running gear unless he asked them to do so.

Could the dealer have damaged the shackles when moving the trailer... sure... stranger things have happened....

However given the age of the trailer its more likely that metal fatigue is to blame.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

I will do a web site investigation on this. Looking at every part of the suspension, tires, brakes, axles, springs, mounting points, etc etc. look at condition, age, wear, rust, welds. Now maybe it could be determined what happen. Is it the fault of lippert, dexter, tires, dealer or owner. Thats why I would get my insurence invloved, Have the trailer fixed, and down the road I go and let them go after who if anyone bysides the owner is responsiable. Fighting this type of fight is to stressful, I pay someone to do it for me. #1 ins. agent #2 my civil lawyer. #2 takes years.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Jager

I don't think the dealer or mechanic is responsible to inspect everything and until I joined this forum I didn't know to check most of the things that I do now. I DO however agree very much that the dealer could have caused this damage. I just got back from a trip with my 5er in which I made the mistake of getting caught in a parking lot I shouldn't have been in. Rather than backing all the way out I decided to crank the camper around, skidding the tires and twisted the suspension hangers. Lucky because of what I have learned on this forum I did inspect the tires and suspension when I parked the unit on out site (about 1/2 mile from where I cranked the unit around). I noticed the suspension damage immediately. I didn't realize I was the one who caused it but the damage was clear.

The camper wasn't "broken" yet but the pressure and force on the suspension was gross. I knew that the suspension wasn't going to make it very far. I limped the unit (at 20 mph) to a repair location (~5 miles away) and am having it fixed there. I have seen many dealers using fork lifts crank the heck out of units on their lots parking them. The distance the campers travel isn't 40' but that isn't what matters.

YES, the dealer could have ABSOLUTELY caused the problem if he moved the unit in such a manner. Proving this could be extremely hard. If the OP knew for sure his spring hangers weren't damaged when he dropped it off and then inspected them before he left the dealer . . . well then the dealer was clearly responsible.

I am VERY grateful to the people on this forum for all the help and education I have gained by reading all these posts. I could have very easily become the next static with a wrecked trailer or worse.

EVERYONE, Inspect your tires and suspension on a regular basis. Learn what to look for. Learn the do's and don'ts of moving the trailer.

To the OP:
If you want to see exactly what I'm talking about look in the "Repairs" section of this forum under "Bent Suspension". This is my mistake.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18707
Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
theeyres

I have to agree that the repair shop is not responsible for something they were not asked to check. Seen legal cases like this over and over and the dealer/repair shop always wins. Especially on older units--and they will consider 7 yo an older unit.

Also, if it gets to legal issues, be assured that you signed something, somewhere that releases them from responsibility. The lawyers that draw up those contracts, repair orders, etc., have it tied up every which way. Have you read the fine print?

Let your insurance company handle it. If they want to fight it, let them. But I'll bet you a dollar they won't.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #27
LouSlugger

Meeting with GM of dealership later this week. Will post regarding ultimate outcome after it's all settled. Thanks for the input.

2007 Fuzion 362 Toy Hauler
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L twin turbo diesel
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #28
Adventurider

In this situation, you're asking a mechanic to perform up to and including an NDI inspection on metal/welds. Not very realistic. You have a 7 year old unit that was fatigued, timing really sucked, but it sounds like it was a ticking bomb.

BTW, if you REALLY want to let it go, I would leave out the name calling and just say nothing....just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSlugger View Post
My father used to say never argue with a fool because he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with his experience. I'll choose to follow his advice on this one and just let it go.
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
Desert185

I would suspect that there is a clause in the maintenance contract absolving the facility of any failures unrelated to the work being performed.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #30
abneynormal

dang

I blew 3 tires but never the axle. ok heres the money round. if you plan on using your rv for years and miles you need to keep a check on u bolts. hubs, lug nuts. rims (yes I had one of them leak air) ,bearings, and brakes. now the suspension WILL need wet bolting. the factory crap wears out in 3-6000 miles. they now have never lube bushings I bet they are as useless as their never lube bearings. there is no substitute for grease on moving parts.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
1bacamaro

Question

I am a mechanic for a living and deal with this everyday. I just had a oil change here and now my transmission is slipping. What did you do to my car! Lol I am so sick of people trying to pass the buck onto the mechanic. I had a keystone cougar and I inspected the whole trailer every time I went on a trip. During one of my inspections I noticed both axle shackles had nuts missing off the bolts. You can't just hook up and go and think everything is good. Before you hook up it's your job to do a safety inspection. I always check things like tires,lug nuts,lights,brakes and look under the rv for axle problems. Sorry but your fault not the shops.
1bacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #32
rjsurfer

I lost the forward axle on my Cougar not too long after purchase. Similar to what happened to you except I was lucky I was able to pull into a small gas station.

What I eventually found was loose bolts on the axle U bolts allowing the axle to shift. When I went to check the other U bolts they were all a little loose. I now check them all before every trip and don't you know I occasionally catch another starting to loosen up.

VERY common problem.....in have read dozens of posts on this very same thing...

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #33
LouSlugger

post-mortem report

In the end, the dealership would not accept responsibility for this incident. They took the position that they did not perform any work on the axle/suspension system, were not aware of anything they did to damage it, and had no duty to inspect before releasing it to me.
Fortunately, it was covered by my insurance.
On the bright side, I have a brand new axle and related components and they did a fantastic job of replacing and painting the side skirts/paneling. Looks brand new.
I had already planned to sell and downsize before this happened and am now able to list it.
thanks again to those who joined in the discussion.

2007 Fuzion 362 Toy Hauler
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L twin turbo diesel
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #34
SAABDOCTOR

HERE is a little bit of advice my flight instructor told me "Prefflight the plane like your life depended on it because chances are it will" Do that when you hook up your trailer too!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #35
buzzcop63

When I got my new 2012 Cougar TT home one of the first things I did was get on my Creeper and slide under the trailer and look over all the axel fittings and the entire underneath of the trailer. In the past while being an avid motorcyclist I used to put caulk (White) on exposed nuts and thread making sure that a dab was on both the thread and nut so that at a glance I could tell if the nut was working loose. Found a whole lot of threaded nuts on bolts under our trailer and now each one has a speck of white on them.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
hankaye

buzzcop63, Howdy;

When I worked on aircraft we used a product like this;
http://www.durablesupply.com/dytaprt...l#.VIeLFntXmSo
It would be applied by the QA Inspector after witnessing the torque
or whatever the "Book" called for.
Extremely cheap for the piece of mind it provides.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote