Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
jujustad

12 volt outlet antenna plate

Hi,
We have a Cougar that has a plate with a 12 volt outlet and a male coax connector for the TV . We no longer have the TV but would like to use the 12 volt outlet as a spot to put the battery charge monitor for when we are using our generator. The outlet doesn't seem to work. I have tried the monitor in the cig lighter of our truck and the monitor works fine. I pulled the plate to make sure that there were wires to the plate and they were there along with a little circuit board that, I guess, are part of the antenna/TV stuff. My first question is would this outlet be a good way to easily keep track of our battery charging when on a generator...second, should I find a 12 volt outlet plate without the coax stuff and then plug the 2 wires I could see into that?...Does anyone think that might work? What am I missing? Thanks everyone!
here is the battery monitor I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
MarkS

Does the plate have a little push button and LED. If so, it is used to power the antenna. If you take off the Coax, the antenna will not work.

I think the 12 volt outlet should work for your monitor. There should be a fuse for the outlet in the power distribution panel. I would check that.

Make sure the tip is going in all the way. Twist the monitor around, sometimes the side contacts don't line up.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
GaryWT

Have you used the outlet for anything else so that you know that it works? I have an adapter plugged in there so I can charge my cell phone. Be sure it works and the plug your monitor in, you might need to play with it a bit.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
randy69

There are couple of different 12volt sizes. I found this out by contacting the company that made them

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
jujustad

Well, I'm feeling kinda stupid now I realized after reading your replies that, when we first got the trailer we pulled the fuse to the radio to save on battery and we never plugged it back in...of course, that's the circuit that the 12 v socket is on. I put the fuse in and voila! the battery monitor works. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Julie
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote