Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
X-Treme

How tight should I tighten my X-Chocks?

Just like the title says. How tight should I be tightening my X-Chocks? Do I just snug them up against the wheels, or do I tighten them to the point just before bending an axle, or somewhere in between? It would almost be nice to have a torque specification or something, so a guy would know exactly how tight...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Bigsky3625

I snug them up to where I can't pull them out. Not tight enough to cause and tire indentations. I have read other posts where people haveactually caused tread damage.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The purpose of these chocks is to reduce RV movement and when tightening mine, I make sure that they are "good and snug" against the tires. I've never used a torque wrench to determine how many pounds are necessary so can't help you out with a number.
After the RV has been sitting for a while and the tires have had a chance to cool down, I come back and re-tighten them.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
maxx1963

X2. I just snug mine up. Definitely don't want to bend the axle. The way these are designed, if they are snug that trailer isn't going anywhere!

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
concours

I too tighten them good and snug I don't think that the wrench that comes with the Chocks would allow that much pressure on the tires and axles, I use one hand snug down then re snug after the tires have cooled down. If you think about how much pressure is on each tire when its parked and how much strain is on the axles under braking etc. the chocks will do no harm
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
hankaye

X-Treme, Howdy;

Get them tight enough so that they sing in a voice about 2 octaves higher...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
X-Treme, Howdy;

Get them tight enough so that they sing in a voice about 2 octaves higher...

hankaye
Are you sure you aren't confusing that with tight under ware?

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
dhdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The purpose of these chocks is to reduce RV movement and when tightening mine, I make sure that they are "good and snug" against the tires. I've never used a torque wrench to determine how many pounds are necessary so can't help you out with a number.
After the RV has been sitting for a while and the tires have had a chance to cool down, I come back and re-tighten them.
X2
Snug them up, then check them again in 1/2 hr or so after tires have cooled down.
dhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
rjsurfer

Personally I never liked the X-chocks, I think they put much strain on the axle hangers and U-Bolts and centering pin.

Plus the centering pin on the spring pack is just welded on and easy to break away, when that happens forget your springs there gone...

What's the problem with using just old fashioned chocks? Yeesh 30 seconds and there down (even my wife can put them in place), sometimes too much tech isn't always the answer.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
gepaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Personally I never liked the X-chocks, I think they put much strain on the axle hangers and U-Bolts and centering pin.

Plus the centering pin on the spring pack is just welded on and easy to break away, when that happens forget your springs there gone...

What's the problem with using just old fashioned chocks? Yeesh 30 seconds and there down (even my wife can put them in place), sometimes too much tech isn't always the answer.

Ron W.
To answer your question, "old fashioned chocks" don't stop your trailer from moving around.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
christopherglenn

I figure however much torque I can put on them one handed with the ~6" wrench is about enough. If I can brake a weld that way, the axle was going to fall out from under the frame on the first pothole anyway.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Sometimes a person can not fully understand the purpose of a device and make a statement that it can be replaced with a different tool when that's not the situation.

X chocks prevent wheel movement and help stabilize the RV from shifting on the tires producing a sensation of movement inside. In the operator's instructions for using X chocks, it clearly states that they are NOT a replacement for wheel chocks and that they must still be used even with X chocks in place.

I don't think that there is any danger in bending an axle tube or damaging a spring hanger with the wrench that comes with X chocks. It's not long enough to produce enough torque to do much more than "slightly indent" the tread on the tires. If you think about it, the part of the tread sitting on the ground is indented far more than you'll ever be able to push with a set of X chocks. Additionally, there is far more fore/aft stress placed on the spring hangers when applying the brakes than when setting X chocks. Unless your suspension system is about to fall out from under your RV, doing any damage by using X chocks is nearly impossible. And, if by chance you did any damage, I think it's much better to find it that way than to have the damage "sneak up on you" while on the road. I've never heard of anyone damaging their suspension with X chocks.

While I don't "crank em down" with all my might, I do snug them firmly, then a couple hours later, recheck them. Occasionally, not at every stop, they will be a bit looser than when installed. However, quite often they are still tight and need no further tightening.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sometimes a person can not fully understand the purpose of a device and make a statement that it can be replaced with a different tool when that's not the situation.

X chocks prevent wheel movement and help stabilize the RV from shifting on the tires producing a sensation of movement inside. In the operator's instructions for using X chocks, it clearly states that they are NOT a replacement for wheel chocks and that they must still be used even with X chocks in place.

I don't think that there is any danger in bending an axle tube or damaging a spring hanger with the wrench that comes with X chocks. It's not long enough to produce enough torque to do much more than "slightly indent" the tread on the tires. If you think about it, the part of the tread sitting on the ground is indented far more than you'll ever be able to push with a set of X chocks. Additionally, there is far more fore/aft stress placed on the spring hangers when applying the brakes than when setting X chocks. Unless your suspension system is about to fall out from under your RV, doing any damage by using X chocks is nearly impossible. And, if by chance you did any damage, I think it's much better to find it that way than to have the damage "sneak up on you" while on the road. I've never heard of anyone damaging their suspension with X chocks.

While I don't "crank em down" with all my might, I do snug them firmly, then a couple hours later, recheck them. Occasionally, not at every stop, they will be a bit looser than when installed. However, quite often they are still tight and need no further tightening.
This is exactly the answer I was looking for, and makes complete sense with all your explanations. I really appreciate it, along with everyone else's responses. Thank you to all.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

tight is tight. to tights broke! if you use the wrench that came with them you will not over tighten it. and yep resnug after cool down. you and the tires
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
broby425

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post

Ron W.
I view chocks as a safety feature more than just a comfort feature. Standard chocks don't stay snug against the wheel, allowing for too much movement for me, especially when unhitching. I've used the X-chocks in the past, and think they did a great job. Just snugged it up with a good amount of "wrist and no forearm", if that makes sense. I'm currently using their single-axle version (the kind that you clamp down on one wheel and cinch up from both sides). Both of these keep the trailer secure while I unhitch, prevent a lot of excess movement for our stay, and give me peace of mind that standard chocks never did.
broby425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Pmedic4

X-chocks

While I've had one, never really felt the x- chock was all that critical. Sold the one I had when we sold our TT. Then We bought a 5ver.

Out several weeks ago, we saw was several people using two joined 4x4s, cut at about 30 degrees to make the x chock, so they had made some poor man version of the expensive all metal x-chocks. The metal one was very heavy, and the wood 4x4 Version looks nice and light and aren't hard to make. Anyone else use make these?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, I have the home-made, "cheapo" version. Easy to make, works just fine, and costs less. Bulkier and not sure if it weighs that much less that the metal, commercial one. You can Google home-made wheel chocks and find several sites complete with diagrams. If you can't find anything, let me know --- send me a PM.