Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Trent McCain

UHF Motorola radio install in 5th wheel.

We own/operate a trucking company and have Motorola UHF business band radios in our trucks, farm equipment, personal vehicles and home. We have an opportunity to follow harvest this year and I'm taking the 5th wheel for the crew and I to base out of. I wanted to install a radio in the camper as we have several itenerant frequencies we are licensed nationwide for. I wanted to keep the install clean and easy to remove when the time comes to sell the coach and upgrade. For the antenna, I took a straight NMO bracket and made a slight bend to allow the antenna to set straight. I bolted it to the gutter to minimize the holes in the fiberglass exterior. The coax is routed through the side into a cabinet that's the top of the entertainment center. Antenna is a short NGP Maxrad, like we run on our Kenworth trucks. For the radio, I installed it in the entertainment center above the TV. Coax drops down in the cabinet to the radio. I didn't want holes in the entertainment center from mounting a bracket, so I cut a scrap of particle board to fit and mounted the radio to that with carriage bolts. I sprayed it with quick dry sealer, as that's what I had ( it really can't be seen anyway), and installed felt pads on the bottom. When the 25A power supply arrives later this week, it will set behind the radio and plug into the 110 outlet behind the TV.

Trent

Name:	100_1218.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	3370   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1219.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	3371   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1220.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	3372   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1221.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	3373  
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Nice clean install .... It's a shame you had to ruin it with that four letter word ....... WORK.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Trent McCain

I hear that. Harvest will be pretty poor here this year, so we're going to head east 200mi where crops are better. Oh well, whatever it takes to support the family....and its a reason to go camping right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote