Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
jujustad

Dinette and folding sofa mod

We have Cougar 24 RKS and love it... however, the dinette was not practical for us. We knew that we would never need to make the dinette into a bed and it left a lot to be desired as an eating area. It took up a lot of space, the table wobbled, the storage areas under the benches were not useful, it was uncomfortable and very difficult to get in and out of etc. We removed the dinette and my husband built a cupboard that fits under the window. It is sturdy enough to sit on if needed and has loads of accessible storage. We use the top as a spot for laptop, purse, maps etc and so the table is always clear. My husband built a saw horse style base and we mounted the table top to that. It is very stable and can be moved as needed. I found 2 chairs at Goodwill and used the fabric from the booth seats to recover the cushions. By removing the booth seats the space feels so much more roomy and it is a comfortable place to hang out.
We also didn't care for the storage under the folding sofa as it was a two person job to get anything out from underneath unless you wanted to run the risk of having your head snapped off. I took off the front panel of the sofa which was only decorative and found baskets that fit under nicely. I still have some full length storage behind the baskets. I did mount a strap from one end of the sofa to the other that can be snapped together while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0444e.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	3246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0449.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	3247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0450.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	3248  
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Agent 405

That looks better than what comes from the factory.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
TheBeans

I've been trying to get my DH to do the same with our dinette but his excuse is that he believes it won't make it saleable when it comes time to sell it/trade it in. I disagree, but I can see that this may be a campaign I won't win!

However, I LOVE the idea of removing the front panel of the couch. I took the front panel off ours some time ago and then put magnets on the back of it and matching magnets on the couch frame so that I could easily put the front on or take it off w/o needing anything but my hands. I've just got stuff under there now but it slides all over the place and I've been stumped on whether to go with two low-rider rubber totes or to remove the front panel completely. After seeing yours I think I know the answer!

GREAT mods!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
michol02

Very nice mods.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
jujustad

Smile

thanks everyone!
Julie
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote