Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Comptech

Bargman 47-07-001 and 002 Tail lights and Clearance lights

I think I got a good deal from this site for these tail lights...

http://www.carid.com/universal-trail...d-3724504.html

http://hitchshops.com/i-8516848-barg...ker-light.html

These clearance lights are colored LEDs too....

and another good price on the clearance lights....

Now except for the scare light, my entire 5er will be LED...
If you buy the clearance lights I bought you will need this part too: (or make sure you buy the combo kit)

http://www.bargman.com/content/produ...part=40-00-005
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_102156.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	2883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_102125.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	2884  

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
f6bits

That tail light price is about what I paid at Amazon six months ago. Now it's a bucket load more through Amazon, however it's a different vendor now. Mine were from Extras 4 Recreational Vehicles.

Those clearance lights look good, but I'm leaving mine as they are since they're pretty enough and LEDs aren't as critical there.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You can buy replacement bulbs for your clearance lights on EBay for about $1.25 each. On mine, it was almost the same to buy all the LED bulbs as it was to buy 2 clearance lights. So far, in 2 years, no problems. I did put dielectric grease on all the bulb bases when I installed them, hopefully that will reduce the chance for corrosion. From past experience, leakage behind the clearance lights into the trailer skin and corrosion of the electrical contacts are the biggest issues that cause faillure of the light assembly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
webslave

I used those tail lights:

But, like a lot of others, I simply replaced the incandescent bulbs in my clearance lights with LED bulbs. Much cheaper and no chance of my making a bad seal and having water incursion behind them. The new tail lights, though were a good investment. I can be seen and they are bright enough in the daytime not to be missed. The original tail lights were completely washed out in sunlight. Would have been nice if the trailer had come with the LEDs stock; I suppose they will at some point (more cars are coming stock with them now), but, they are an easy enough change that the manufacturers may just leave it to the owners to make the "upgrade" and they don't incur the cost.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
dixonlaredo

the tail lights on my Laredo are "optronics" and are 8 5/8 inches wide. How big were the taillights you replaced?
dixonlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
f6bits

They were most likely the 92 series:
Size is 8-9/16" x 4-9/16" x 2-⅛"

The new 07 series covers *most* of the 92 series area except for the top outer corner. The old mounting hole is so slightly visible that the sealing bead for the 07 will cover it. All that's left is the outline grime and sealant left over from the 92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonlaredo View Post
the tail lights on my Laredo are "optronics" and are 8 5/8 inches wide. How big were the taillights you replaced?

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
webslave

Correct... When I installed mine, the one hole (it was just barely showing) was easily covered by the new sealant applied. Judicious use of Griot's Adhesive Remover and the plastic ScrapeRite razor blades (won't harm the filon or paint) and the old sealant came right off; no trace of the old lights on the trailer.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Comptech

I know that is why I bought them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I used those tail lights:

But, like a lot of others, I simply replaced the incandescent bulbs in my clearance lights with LED bulbs. Much cheaper and no chance of my making a bad seal and having water incursion behind them. The new tail lights, though were a good investment. I can be seen and they are bright enough in the daytime not to be missed. The original tail lights were completely washed out in sunlight. Would have been nice if the trailer had come with the LEDs stock; I suppose they will at some point (more cars are coming stock with them now), but, they are an easy enough change that the manufacturers may just leave it to the owners to make the "upgrade" and they don't incur the cost.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Scottinvt

Webslave do you have the site and part numbers for the clearance led bulbs ?
Thanks
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
f6bits

JRTJH pointed me in the direction of lights like these (which I just received today):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120970445417
And these (which have yet to arrive):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400326655827

I'll be installing some of them this weekend. The only issue I've heard of is if they'll fit inside the lens, but they look short enough.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Comptech

Added pictures to the original post...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottinvt View Post
Webslave do you have the site and part numbers for the clearance led bulbs ?
Thanks
I buy all of my LEDs from these guys. Are they the cheapest? No, but, I've never received a bulb that wasn't what they advertised them to be, and I've only once received a DOA bulb and one phone call, no questions asked, I had a replacement in two days.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

These are the bulbs that I use in clearance lights (have used them on three trailers now). They are the proper size (many from other suppliers are just a hair too tall and the cover won't fit back on) and ubber bright. Get yellow for the amber lenses and red for the red lenses. Due to the physics of the light spectrum, while a white light in an amber or red lens will work, they are actually not as bright as a light in the proper spectrum of the lens will be.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
CUFFS054

WS, long time ago I think I knew this, but you're saying that 2 bulbs of equal wattage, one white, one red. The red one is going to be brighter in a red lensed lamp?
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
webslave

Basically, yes. Not that the white one will be dim, but, if you put a meter on them, the red will "outshine" a white when behind a red lens. Has to do with filtering of the light spectrum and the resulting light that is allowed to pass. Since there is no cost difference, it only makes sense to match the light bulb to the lens and garner the most light that the LED can make; the whole purpose in the conversion to begin with. The clearance lamps, as provided by the manufacturer, come with white bulbs installed, it is cheaper (buying in really large quantities) and easier maintaining inventory (only one color needed), but, part of the reason that the LEDs, if installed by color of lens, really "pop" is that the light is more "pure" in the color illuminated and the whole lens seems to glow as opposed to a single "hot spot" in the middle.

I'm not a physicist, but, I do remember that from my physics class days and most LED sites (the good ones anyway) will recommend that you match the LED color to the lens color to maximize light output.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
dhdb

Bargman makes a replacement led upgrade light also. It uses the original base so ou do not have to remove it. The kit includes an led light (which just plugs in) an a new lens cover.

http://www.bargman.com/content/produ...part=47-59-412
dhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
f6bits

Welp, no luck on my replacements. The ambers were a bit too tall and the reds touched the plastic, making it look unattractive.

Those Bargman LED replacments look good, but are pretty expensive. I may have to break down and try them just for the better look.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Welp, no luck on my replacements. The ambers were a bit too tall and the reds touched the plastic, making it look unattractive.

Those Bargman LED replacments look good, but are pretty expensive. I may have to break down and try them just for the better look.
That's a common problem with buying from a lot of the LED companies...also the reason I stay with the SuperBrightLED company. I've done two of my own trailers (a FunFinder and the Cougar) and a couple of other trailers (non-RV) for others in my circle of friends and have never had an issue of "fit".

Sorry to hear about your problem, hope you get it sorted out; either a different LED company or the Bargman replacement units.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #18
Comptech

Darn, wish I would have seen these first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdb View Post
Bargman makes a replacement led upgrade light also. It uses the original base so ou do not have to remove it. The kit includes an led light (which just plugs in) an a new lens cover.

http://www.bargman.com/content/produ...part=47-59-412
So I returned the 48s for the 47-59-412, thankfully I saw this before I installed them... This will make life much easier...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350