Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
tap3230

King Dome vs Winegaurd

Does anyone have a preference? I looking at getting satellite and pay as you go dish tv. Pros and cons?
tap3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
mhs4771

For a 5er, I'ld go with the Winegard Trav'ler, unless you plan on someone riding in the rig and wishing to watch TV going down the road. The Trav'ler will give you a bigger dish, thus better signal. Remember, this is just my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
bartletts

Since the signal is digital, you either get one or you don't. The size of the dish makes it easier to point at the satellite and can help keep dropouts due to cloud cover or trees to a minimum, but the size of the dish doesn't make the picture on the TV any better as long as you have one.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
mhs4771

Yes the signal is digital, but you still have to have good signal to get good reception and the size of the dish does make a difference. Just like a roof top antenna on your house gets you more and better signal than a set of Rabbit ears sitting on top of the set (for the younger generations that's what a lot of folks used in the olden days before cable and satellite).
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Jim W

If you do not need the satellite TV on when traveling have you looked at the Dish Tailgater satellite receiver? There are several good reviews of this unit that has just come on to the market.
I purchased one for our use this season with a HD tuner box also from Dish.
What is nice about the Tailgater is the satellite uses the input signal from the Dish receiver box to turn and located the broadcast satellite in the southern sky.
Unit cost for the Tailgater is under $400 and shipping is free from Tweedy's right now. The HD box is extra if required.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
Lawdawgg

I just had the Winegard roadmax mini installed by CW. Dish finds Satillite automatically (No pointing or locating needed). The dish works great, capable of running two receivers if you want (uses 211K receivers). Can be used for either Dish Network or Direct TV service. Also has HD capabilities.

Another cool thing CW doesn't know about and works with pay-as-you-go is DRV service. You can attach an external hard drive (with its own power source) pay a one-time 39.99 fee and record your favorite programs (Dish only, don't know about direct tv). Just like at home.

For me it was a good investment. Very happy with it.....

Herb
Lawdawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
x96mnn

I have a Winegard, it works well and automatically locates the Express Vu signal for me. Can run two receivers with the only draw back I see is the one I have is not HDTV capable from my understanding with Bell.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Jim Dow

Tailgater Works Great

We went with the Tailgater; but it is available only to service one 211k receiver. Has anyone split the signal and used a second 211k receiver?
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
RGRTim

We have the winguard, bought the dish and mount it to a pipe clamped to ladder. bought a rcvr from dish and it added $7 a month to our bill. works great, no complaints.