Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

hehe JJE, happens more times than you might think.... Now, where to store the checklist so it doesn't get lost???? Hmmmm how about in the fridge between the beer cans ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
SAABDOCTOR

Lordy i hate when the shore power cord is faloowing me downthe highway!!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
hehe JJE, happens more times than you might think.... Now, where to store the checklist so it doesn't get lost???? Hmmmm how about in the fridge between the beer cans ???
Wow! That's a great idea and it will keep the brown bottles from clinking against each other. I'm gonna have to make my list longer so it protects more bottles.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I work at a campground helping newbies all the time. It's fun actually. All the ideas are really good here. My input is to make sure you chock your wheels well. I've had several that didn't and couldn't figure out why they couldn't get their pin in their 5th wheel hitch to release. Without good wheel chocking the trailer will put pressure on the pin and keep it from releasing.

Second bit of advice is always, always check any cabinets beside the slides to see if doors have opened. If you bring a slide out and it catches an open door, you'll hear a nasty crunch, followed by lots of swearing, then the slide going back in. It hurts worse when you realize you have to replace a door.

Don't forget to use a water pressure regulator on your hose connection. Our campground has 100 psi at the faucet and I've seen several trailers get lines blown apart when they didn't use a regulator.

Last mistake I saw someone make is a friend had told them to open all the faucets before they hook up the city water (bad advice in my opinion). Sure they opened the faucets but didn't check the drains were open. The bathroom drain had closed itself during travel so the water ran all over the floor when they turned on the water. Ouch.

Above all, have fun!!
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #25
ky137

How about the water heater?

Hi all,

Maybe I've misunderstood something in reading forum(s) for a couple of years. If you connect the power first, and your water heater is empty, doesn't the element go "poof"? All the other posts I've seen on the topic say to connect the water supply first, open a hot spigot until it runs, close it, then connect the electric.

Thanks!
ky137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky137 View Post
Hi all,

Maybe I've misunderstood something in reading forum(s) for a couple of years. If you connect the power first, and your water heater is empty, doesn't the element go "poof"? All the other posts I've seen on the topic say to connect the water supply first, open a hot spigot until it runs, close it, then connect the electric.

Thanks!
All the appliances should be turned off before disconnecting the electric when leaving. Its not a good idea to have heavy loads such as water heaters or air conditionerson when connecting to the parks power or turning on the breaker with that much load.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky137 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
If the water heater is empty the shutoff switch on the tank should be off and the safety pin inserted. Shore power should be connected before bringing out slides or the TV should still be connected and running giving full voltage to slide motors to prevent damage.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
Badboy

Me to

I like the way handysam sets upsets up we need to go camping together.sound like you would be a blast.Happy camping.
Badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
Badboy

Me to

I like the way handysam sets up we need to go camping together.sound like you would be a blast.Happy camping.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
E597283

Sam has it right on...30 packs only last so long. I found when I first started a checklist on the internet...it laid out the setting up and getting ready to leave a campsite. No perfect way as long as everything is hooked up. Just enjoy and you will eventually get into a routine. Usually what helps first is to get bikes out for kids and get them off the campsite and out of my way.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
ColoradoKeystone

ok now i really am going crazy with all this stuff. We get so many people telling us stuff and what to do and not to do. Its all diff. Blahhhhhh! We need a pro camper to go with us the first time so we do not ruin something. lol!
ColoradoKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
f6bits

I doubt you’ll ruin anything. Just take your time and do things one at a time then fine tune your routine. Sometimes being methodical and slow is a good way to unwind and clear your head.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKeystone View Post
ok now i really am going crazy with all this stuff. We get so many people telling us stuff and what to do and not to do. Its all diff. Blahhhhhh! We need a pro camper to go with us the first time so we do not ruin something. lol!
My advice, for what its worth.....
Relax, this fun remember? Pull in, get out, look confused and ask for help. Most campers are friendly folks that are willing to help and generally cordial creaters. If that doesn't work then offer them a beer, I'll guarentee you'll get help then
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #34
Badboy

Smile hook up

I have been camping for years and I always hook the electric up after I have it where I want it and level.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #35
jje1960

First...

Yup, what-ever works for ya. I do absolute necessary first, which means get the golf cart out of the back n' then what-ever will mitigate being asked to do anything that is going to interrupt my putter'n style of setting-up, which usually entails having a beer n' hand and taking my time.... Hate hearing my name yelled out of the trailer in the first hour... Which always equates to me having to do something.....
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #36
RogerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
The first thing we did was drink, just kidding. I had a list of prioritys in order as we got to the camp sight. First for me is to get the camper into the spot we liked in terms of the door opening in relation to the sight, and then check my side to side level to see if I need to raise one side or the other. If so I'll level it side to side. Then I'll start to unhook it from the truck, in your case cranking it up off the ball hitch, pull the truck forward. Then level the camper front to back, after level lower the stabilizing legs. Then I hook up the electric, and water,open the slides, and get the inside all setup.

Then it's grab a beer and chill for a bit before doing the rest, such as the awning, dinner, make a fire, have a beer, get the bed made, have a beer, put the clothes away, feed the dog, have a beer, put out the awning lights, turn on the music and have a beer. Happy Campong, Sam
If you ever camp in Indiana, let me know. You sound like my kind of people..haha
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
drifter101

Helpful tips! Thanks! Camp and drink a beer!
drifter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #38
blackty

One very important thing to remember, when you are helping guide him back into the site, if YOU can't see the side mirrors, HE can't see you. Decide roughly where you want one rear corner of the camper. Then stand there. My wife didn't get the concept at first. Haven't hit her yet. Enjoy...Jim