Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Halibutman214

Is Slideout sticking normal on a new TT

When I picked up my Passport 26BHWE Friday and we were doing the walk-thru I noted that when the slide was retracted that it sort of stuck about a quarter of the way in and then did it again about 2/3 of the way in. It sort of seems to bind just a bit. The sales guy said it was because it was new and after a few times in and out it wouldn't do that anymore. I noted that the one I initially looked at didn't do that and he said it was because it was at the RV show and had been slid in and out several times. Because I only have 90 days for readjustment of the slide (if I read all this info right) I have extended and retracted the slide now 5 times but it's still the same. Have any of you experienced this? Thanks
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If the trailer is new .... the warranty should be one year on everything from Keystone. Appliances and roofing materials are covered under their own warranties for possibly longer. (10 or 12 yrs. on EPDM roof material) My slide never did what you describe and IMHO I don't think yours should either. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Lippert, the slide manufacturer, recommends that the slide be activated "once or twice a month" (according to my manual) to keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated. Perhaps it sitting for a long period beforehand without being extended and retracted is contributing to this but I don't think that would be the major cause of it binding on two occasions when being retracted. The binding is more likely to be caused by the slide being misaligned and may need to be adjusted. You may be able to do this yourself if you are handy.
Better still, since it is still under warranty, you should be able to take it back to your dealer and "let him deal with it".
If you have the Lippert manual, there are instructions on how to do this in the manual. If you don't have it, go to the Lippert website and you can download the manual for your slide. It's a good idea to have the manual handy regardless.
Lippert's website is : www.lci1.com or try phoning 1-866-524-7821

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Halibutman214

Thanks Festus 2. The link you gave me was great. I just need to figure out which Lippert slide is mine and will definatly download the manual. Apparently this is at least one they didn't give me. As far as the 90 day thing. The Passport manual says you have 90 days from the date of sale for "adjustments to the slide" to be covered under warranty. Not exacly sure what that means but if this thing is binding in any way I don't want to make the problem worse. Again, thanks for the good info.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
chuck&gail

Can only say slide on our TT never did that.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
michael

slide

I took my trailer for my and its first camping trip, When i retracted the smaller of the slides i noticed at first it seemed to be binding i quikly realized that the seal was sticking at the top of the slide, I figured i need to put the slide stuff i bought on the seals, When i tried to move the slide in i just moved it just alittle then back out, I did that about 5 times and the seal loosened up.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
skyhi1

the slide should not bind or jump coming in i worked for a keystone dealer for 2 years full time and 1 on call. i set up and did the repairs and deliveries on all the trailers and hitch installs. if somthing wasnt right i told the customer and we repaired it. i made sure the customer understood everything about the trailer before they left.
skyhi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
charltons

Should not stick. Never had any issues on any previous trailers or on our new Sprinter. I would have take back to the delaer for repair.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
hankaye

Halibutman214, Howdy;

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Also sorry to say that most of the sales folks wouldn't know 'normal' from 'ab-normal' without a road map, 1/2 hour head start & the directions in hand ...
I would have asked him to have the tech run it in & out till it works like it's supposed to ..... before I sign .....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Halibutman214

Called Keystone tech support this morning and described what was happening, as it was happening. He said that this was normal and to give it a little while to seat in. When I asked why the one I orginally looked at didn't seem to stick he said that some have a little tighter tolerences. I'll give it a few more times and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
JimInMich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
Called Keystone tech support this morning and described what was happening, as it was happening. He said that this was normal and to give it a little while to seat in. When I asked why the one I orginally looked at didn't seem to stick he said that some have a little tighter tolerences. I'll give it a few more times and see what happens.
Then I would ask the tech support to note on your account , an extra 90 days for the slide adjustment. They want you to wait, they should cover the wait period.
11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
12 Cougar XLite 27RLS ( 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded)
Just the Wife and I.
JimInMich is offline   Reply With Quote